Summer 2011 GB Do217N2

First Name
Dave
I just thought it would be a way around his problem.He wasnt to know that the Koster conversion kit would supply an incorrect canopy.Think maybe you could cut him a bit of slack here?.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Do you know anyone that can do crash molding Trey? They might be able to do a new canopy for you with the back end that you want

T

treyzx10r

Man you guys are great with the input thanks! Ian I'll be getting in touch with the 'Migrant' thanks for the lead as well as the tips on a fix. Dave thanks as well for the ideas with the canopy, going to try and use the vac formed unit as it does'nt have the hole cut out for the turret just the impression were it goes. My thoughts are I might cut the circle depression out and reglue it flush with the top.Any way if that fails I have the stock one to try a second approach. Allyne I wish I had a hook up like that, it would sure make this problem a done deal.

The nacelles for the radials get cut away

I had to be careful with the final trimming and sanding because the main gear attach at the engine firewall

Dry test fit looks the part ,there is going to be some delicate filling and sanding at the mating areas

Last edited:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Trey bud, you've got some guts to cut into a model lol. Going to look great though, can't wait to see it finished too.

Have fun, John

T

treyzx10r

Thanks John!

Some good news 1 problem solved !

The canopy was the major problem to fix ,good thing Koster supplied a vac one the factory canopy was a partial mold

I cut the recessed area in the mold for the turret away and reglued it flush with the top

after masking to avoid scracthing up the rest of the canopy I sanded the excess glue away

then I used 2 different colors of primer so it would be easier to see the shape needed

although its not exactly perfect I'm happy with the fix and think it will look the part once painted

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Now that is a great catch Trey. Very well done. I've never had the guts to build a vac form kit in my life but I'm certainly enjoying watching you do one.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
See Trey what was all the fuss about? You made that look bloody easy!

Well done. Sit back and have a beer and give your self a well deserved victory dance!!! lol

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Steve really appreciate that

Ian thanks, enjoyed several cold ones after pulling that off!

I finished making the seat belts and glued the fuse halves together

Cleaned up and rescribed the vac parts

First Name
Dave
Love the cockpit detail.Those seat belts look really good.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant work getting over your problem Trey. My hat goes off to you.

Sometimes we moan when a little bit of plastic doesn't quite fit, but seeing how you have (and are) getting over your problems shows off your obvious skills......

AND what great help and support we can expect from our fellow modellers here on S.M.!

Cheers,

Ron

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Ron appreciate that and yes we are lucky to have such great help and support here! I've not have made it back into aircraft building without it, a big thanks to all the great members here who selflessly contribute there time and help again and again!

Not much progress today still waiting on some goodies to arrive in the snail mail. I did clean up the nacelles and props further.

T

treyzx10r

Problem #2 the lower gondola was a poser but heres what I did to fix it. I started with a block of balsa

then fixed some self adhesive 80 grit to the lower fuselage are to be covered

this allowed me to get the inside plug of balsa flush with the fuselage

after that I cut the plug down with a razor saw and shaved it into a basic shape with a small wood plane

next I covered the fuselage with 2 layers of 3m 2" tape to protect it from sanding

test fit after sanding to shape with the tape removed showed that some fine sanding was still needed

the plug is ready for a coat of epoxy

I had to make 2 small filler panels out of styrene to close up the small gap at the front of the plug on each side due to the shape of the fuselage, then after painting the underside of the plug I ca glued it in place.

Ready for a fine bead of filler to blend it and then some primer should do it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant work trey ,i love it.Necessity is the mother of invention!!!Eh?!! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great fix Trey! You are really getting the better of this one.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I bet your finding this build more satisfying, because your having to come up with solutions and make parts yourself.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great stuff Trey. Your modelling skill is only matched by the speed you seem to be doing this. Amazing stuff, bravo!

Paul

T

treyzx10r

Thanks all for the support and kind comments,I'm getting there bit by bit and really enjoying the challenge so far. Yes it is trying at times but the sastisfaction level grows with each hurdle crossed.

The Plug for the lower gondola is now in primer and I think it will work out,not exact to scale but close enough for my satisfaction.

The fuselage and wings are now glued together. I had trouble getting them to align correctly ,really weird the way the fuse and wings go together on this kit so there are some filling issues to contend with. Mainly at the wing roots and the top halves of the wing joints. I also went ahead and attached the nose, lots of filling and sanding is going to be needed here

T

treyzx10r

The engines are mounted ,used a combo of testors liquid cement on the iside surface and a bead of thick ca on the outside edge. I'm left wondering after all the hassle with the vac parts if a donor kit with the DB603 series engines would be an easier route? Although that would be a waste of a kit just for 2 engine nacelles after what the Koster conversion set me back it might just even out lol.