Sun Tzu by RP Models

R

Resinman

In spite of not much forum activity from me over the last three weeks or so, I haven't been idle. Apart from the day-job I've also been working on this humongous beauty - RP Models' Sun Tzu resin bust. To say it's spectacular would be like saying that Jupiter's a little bit bigger than Earth. It also shows what can be achieved in sculpting and the medium of resin - the dynamism and movement are astounding. The detail is crisply moulded, and the texture of his tunic is beautifully rendered. AND it's heavy.

Having said that, it was extremely easy to assemble, none of it needing any filler at any point. The only 'difficult' bits were the addition of the bowstring (which is slightly overscale, but it does the job) and the cords holding the arrow quiver to his belt - neither of these were supplied in the kit so I used some plastic rod I had (couldn't tell you what diameter it was though). Painting at this scale (1/9th) is a joy, my only limitation being my technique in reproducing certain textures and materials, but that's something that will eventually come through practice. I absolutely and immensely enjoyed making this - and it's made me a fan of RP Models!

The base had to be quite substantial in order to hold the thing up, so I bought a cheap newel cap off eBay. Brass rod is what's holding it upright. It's the pride of my collection so far, and its challenges pushed me hard. Let's hope there's more of this calibre of bust to come from RP and that other manufacturers take notice. =)

Here are he photos:

IMG_20180628_123245784.jpgIMG_20180628_123712392.jpgIMG_20180628_123343490.jpg[

IMG_20180628_123335859.jpg

IMG_20180628_123326857.jpg

Next up, something a little smaller.... =D

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Beautifully painted , and full of movement Simon.
Well done .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
John .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely job. One of your best so far I think.....
Cheers
Tim