Supacat Jackal and Soldiers Airfix 1:48

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Good work so far.
What`s the fit like?

I have their Land Rover pair with PE set to build.

I`m not impressed with the tyres, though, and I`m looking for after-market replacements before I start them.

Always been a weak spot in Airfix kits, have their tyres.
There you go Malcolm ............ Resin Wheels for all of them, with the correct tread patterns.

http://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/rhino-armour-models-350-c.asp

0ne48thtel

Just caught up with this build Laurie and it is looking great.

L

Laurie

\ said:
There you go Malcolm ............ Resin Wheels for all of them, with the correct tread patterns.
Yes I can see they are better or as they should be.

2 things though bug me.

1. damned expensive

2. more than half the cost of the Jackal. £6:00 plus £4:00 delivery.

3. wheels already fixed on

4. By the time I have the mudguards and mud flaps on and mud on the tyres is it going to notice

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work so far Laurie ,wish i could be as organized as you, ;)

L

Laurie

\ said:
very nice work so far Laurie ,wish i could be as organized as you, ;)
Only taken 76 years Mon. You will get there.

Probably both 76 and organized. :cool:

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh lol,maybe so Laurie,

but dont think its me to have a nice clean and organized.work table, ;)

L

Laurie

\ said:
Darn it you have now got me going Peter. Took another look at the Wheels this morning. It is a got to have them syndrome.

So there goes the next trip to KFC for Pauline. I will be OK though..

Have you used them Peter ? The Airfix wheels are in to parts the tyre slipping over the hub. Do you know if the ones you have listed do the same. I have a horrible feeling it may be butchering time.

Laurie

R

rememal

\ said:
Built the WiMK Landrover and I thought the wheels OK. But admit I am not an expert on wheels.
What do you think of these Malcolm ? Are they any good ? ( PS your answers will not be held against you ;) )

Fit very good Malcolm. Any difficulties which are few may of been of my making.

Laurie

View attachment 118631 View attachment 118632
Hello, Laurie, the problem that I have with Airfix wheels and tyres especially on their Herrick kits, is that the tyre tread looks nothing like the tread on the real tyres and it spoils the look of the model. They do such a good job on the rest of the kit but then drop the ball when it comes to the tyre tread.

R

rememal

\ said:
Thank you for that link, just what is needed. and at a good price.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Hello, Laurie, the problem that I have with Airfix wheels and tyres especially on their Herrick kits, is that the tyre tread looks nothing like the tread on the real tyres and it spoils the look of the model. They do such a good job on the rest of the kit but then drop the ball when it comes to the tyre tread.
Yes agreed Malcolm a bit tired last night and did not bother much and threw out the idea. But after having a study this morning think as you say Airfix boobed here. I suspect their CAD dept took another wheel and just did a cheap adaption rather than design a proper job.

And so Supacat Jackal and Super Coyote wheels here I come.

Laurie

Any one want some redundant tyres ?

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Darn it you have now got me going Peter. Took another look at the Wheels this morning. It is a got to have them syndrome.
So there goes the next trip to KFC for Pauline. I will be OK though..

Have you used them Peter ? The Airfix wheels are in to parts the tyre slipping over the hub. Do you know if the ones you have listed do the same. I have a horrible feeling it may be butchering time.

Laurie
I used them on my Jackal. They are a good fit and have the right tread pattern. I remember having a warehouse with dozens of the buggers when I worked on the Jackal programme.

L

Laurie

\ said:
I used them on my Jackal. They are a good fit and have the right tread pattern. I remember having a warehouse with dozens of the buggers when I worked on the Jackal programme.
I am having enough trouble with 4 Peter. Not a bad price after all. I have the Coyote and a Land Rover snatch to build so have ordered for those and the Jackal. Good company as they have only charged one lot of postage for all three packages. Thanks Peter.

Laurie

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
I am having enough trouble with 4 Peter. Not a bad price after all. I have the Coyote and a Land Rover snatch to build so have ordered for those and the Jackal. Good company as they have only charged one lot of postage for all three packages. Thanks Peter.
Laurie
Glad to help......... Let us know how you get on with them.

D

dougie

\ said:
I built the Jackal kit Laurie ........ It goes together really well. The only criticism I had with the kit is the tread pattern on the tyres is all wrong (I only know that because I worked on the project to build the real ones). There is a French company that makes replacement wheels with the correct tread on them .......... The paint colour guide is good with the exception of the seat coverings. The paint guide has the as Khaki ( I think) but the seats on the jackal are more of a "Buff" colour ... But they do contrast better on the model in Khaki............Apart from that, it's a pretty good representation of the Jackal ....... I'm looking forward to this one .......I'll be watching it.
Peter
Sounds like a good job to be a part of...

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Sounds like a good job to be a part of...
Er??? ........ Best I don't comment on that. In case I end up in court for slander.:rolleyes:

D

dougie

point taken haha my job isn't all its cracked up to be either.

I'd better add: Laurie great work so far, before we hyjack the thread ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
It'll make all the difference when you get the proper wheels on Laurie.......... Good job on the seats, that is pretty much "Spot On" for the real ones.

L

Laurie

\ said:
It'll make all the difference when you get the proper wheels on Laurie.......... Good job on the seats, that is pretty much "Spot On" for the real ones.
Thanks Peter for the comments and the wheels. Comparing the Airfix and Rhino ones airfix really have shot themselves in the foot. Have the correct ones now for the Snatch and Coyote. The Landrover MK IK will have to sadly sty in Airfix tyres.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Bugger about the wheels Laurie. But it's looking good so far otherwise, and informative update posts as usual from you.