Super thin CA glue - what's your preference

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

I need to invest in some super thin CA glue and wondered if any of you have any recommendations? Obviously lots of it around but I want to invest in something that comes recommended.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ATB

Andrew

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I use Vitalbond Andy. Its cheap as chips and sets in seconds. This is becasue I dry fit the item I want glued. Then while holding it in place I add a drop of glue and then it sets in seconds and off you go - carrying on building. However if you add a drop to a Pringles lid it stays wet for about an hour enabling you to do a variety of jobs which can be quite handy

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Andrew,

I think we all have our own favourite when it comes to CA and glues generally.
Im no expert when it comes to CA but I currently have two types....

Funny thing is that the MiG AMMO slow dry, dries quickly where as the rocket stuff is thicker and slower to set.

B9DA2DBE-F0D5-4D39-A34A-2A6B46E8C42B.jpeg

Like Mr Jones says, a drop of CA on a plastic lid will normal stay useable for about 20-30mins. I use the plastic lids from the milk containers and a cocktail stick to apply it.
2E2E7B7C-D94C-4AB5-9516-ADB711F6A325.jpeg

Scottie is our resident bling master but I think he uses black magic and voodoo to attach his PE bits :smiling5:

I have my eye on this stuff next time I run out.

I’m sure others will recommend others types.
hth

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
I like the stuff which is in Si's video. It is thin so flows well into joints and has a slightly longer setting time than most thin CAs. Available from the Scale Model Shop HERE
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

Thanks for the tips guys. The 5K stuff looks perfect. Thin and strong but with a reasonable setting time - a few I had seen left no time for adjustments in the event of dodgy placement. I actually have a large stash of metal mince pie cups for CA the purpose already!

And Si I see what you mean Scottie - he clearly has sold his soul to the modelling gods!! It was a very good video though. It is only though my second favourite glue video!! When I first discovered the terrain tutor I spent 45 minutes watching a video on PVA (HERE) and learnt a lot in the process. Sad but true!!

Thanks again all.

Andrew

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I have bought stack s of it over the years and I have come to the conclusion that it's almost all the same. And it always goes off LONG before it's empty. My latest ploy is to buy the tiny tubes from the pound shop. At least if it goes off too soon I haven't spent a fortune!
Good luck with whatever you choose