Swarm season!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I'm trying a small experiment this year, and only cutting half of the grass at a time, leaving a lot of wild flowers (our 'lawn' is mainly 'weeds' :smiling5:) - the fact that I've 'missed' the area round the 'home' hives is purely incidental ;) but the blackbirds are loving the shorter grass, finding plenty of food for their young!

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm trying a small experiment this year, and only cutting half of the grass at a time, leaving a lot of wild flowers (our 'lawn' is mainly 'weeds' :smiling5:) - the fact that I've 'missed' the area round the 'home' hives is purely incidental ;) but the blackbirds are loving the shorter grass, finding plenty of food for their young!
I did a similar thing Gerry , cut paths through the grass, unfortunately this has led to a massive increase in weeds in a main bed of roses. So this year a much reduced cut. The other year I came across 3 Orchids growing , so these are left well alone.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
And another one, son brought it home from work last night - he was called by his manager, wondering what he'd done wrong, walked round the corner and heard it - had his suit etc in the boot of his car. Got to find a home for it today.

• Wow

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
And another one turned up here yesterday - was outside, heard the buzz, and then saw them moving into some of the spare equipment, best of it was, our grandson was here along with mum and dad - he was fascinated by them!

D

Deleted member 5496

A lot of insects are important to our whole world, and all are under threat, British bees have another threat in the future, which are the Asian hornets, which can wipe out a colony in a matter of days - not yet a huge problem, but daresay that they'll cross the channel in numbers at some point in the near future (already got a good foothold in the Channel Islands)

Yes Gerry the French have been sending their hornets to Jersey very kind Mr Macaroni.

All islanders have been told to watch out for them. We have hornet nest destroyers waiting,
in concealed positions, all over the Island waiting to pounce & destroy.

No badgers. However our Red Squirrel fraternity is very nicety increasing. We actually have
at least two houses which have signs squirrels crossing.

Laurie

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Yes Gerry the French have been sending their hornets to Jersey very kind Mr Macaroni.

All islanders have been told to watch out for them. We have hornet nest destroyers waiting,
in concealed positions, all over the Island waiting to pounce & destroy.

No badgers. However our Red Squirrel fraternity is very nicety increasing. We actually have
at least two houses which have signs squirrels crossing.

Laurie
Would be great to see red squirrels - not seen one for years (and that wasn't in the UK)
We've sent you one of our local news reporters, please look after him.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Like Jersey, here in Guernsey we are getting Asian Hornets coming over from France, 5 trapped so far this year, plus some in Sark. Not sure what thecsystem is in Hersey, but over here we have a network of traps covering the whole Island spaced about 500 mtrs apart which are monitored by volunteers. It seems to be working - fingers' crossed!

Peter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 5

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hopefully you'll get the vast majority of them :thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I can fully understand and appreciate the bee keeping thing hobby profession thing but no way , makes me feel alarmed and well terrified just looking at the picture, dont like honey anyway but find it interesting that diffrent flavours come from say heath land heather compared to another environment, still I find the little entries here worth a blimp so thanks all. Dave

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
I'm not a massive fan of the furry little sods either, but such is the plight of a beekeepers assistant. That picture was taken mid swarm collection, to be honest I'd have probably had a fit if they'd landed on me.....

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have to admit if and when i eventually get my smallholding, i'll be having some bee hives on it. Mostly to help the local population but also for a little bit of honey. My wife and i have already said we'd have some bit of land dedicated to wild flowers for the insects.

It's quite fun planning where to put these sort of things (depending on how much land i get) and how they will interact with my veggies, willow plantation and animals. There is a good local bee association up here for any advice i need so i'll be heading over to them way before i take the plunge.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just strimmed round the hives in the garden, no interest from all bar one, (who I'd forgotten about! Well, they're the latest swarm in the garden, so could have an excuse, all the ones since then have gone to the out apiaries) even then, it was just a couple landing on the face shield, letting me know that I was in front of the entrance, and they couldn't get in - when I hear of bee keepers being followed down the garden and stung, or those who have to wear their suits just to cut the grass, I'm surprised that I can 'get away' with what I do! By the way, there's only 7 colonies in the garden, the other 8 are all at the two out apiaries.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The Bee is such an important insect, glad that they take this damned Hornet so seriously in Guernsey and Jersey. Are we as well organised here Gerry ?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Not yet, but so far, I think that there's only been two or three spotted on the mainland (all on the South coast), which were dealt with quickly

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's reassuring to know.