T-28 medium tank by Zvezda 1/35

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tony. I look at the heavy weathering as another string to my bow. Once I know how to make a reasonable stab at it I can choose to add it or not. Or vary the amount of it.

Ah yes Dave, I see your point. 1/35 levels of mud & dust would probably bury a little 1/72. Something else to throw into the mix!

I'm beginning to see why many tend to concentrate on one genre or scale.

D

Deleted member 7181

We have a willing victim volunteer :smiling5:

94e90If.jpg

Not massively out of scale for 1/35 (except for the seat!) so should be okay for a bit of practice. Currently searching for the turret.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That is a great model so you should be pleased. Very sound advice from the guys. I fully understand the thought "I'll leave well alone incase I c*** it up!"
One thing I do is keep a book of ideas. When I started modelling about 9 years ago someone suggested keeping an 'ideas' book. When I read a blog with an idea which I think is interesting I make a note of it. When I try something new I note down what I do and how it turned out. This has now grown into 2 A4 folders which I have had to split into sections to keep it manageable. Now I appreciate it is a bit nerdy and won't suit everyone but I now have a very useful modelling book which is very appropriate for me 'cause I wrote it :smiling:
Keep enjoying yourself - that is really all that matters.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim. I do like the sound of your ideas book, although knowing me I'll probably do something similar in digital format.

My poor old brain can only handle so much information so as I see new tips or think of new ideas the old ones fall out the back to make room! :smiling5: So a documented record would be perfect for me.

And I wouldn't call it nerdy. I have a folder on my PC for all my modelling stuff, backed up on-site and off-site. Each build has it's own folder, listed in chronological order, containing all of the pictures, any research material and notes of when & where I purchased each kit and how much it cost. Start and finish dates, plus any notable techniques or products I used. I even have an .xls file listing all my paints. Now that's nerdy! :nerd:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I like that a lot Andy.
Just the right amount of subtle weathering.
Don't get carried away with all the stuff supposedly required for any heavy weathering of the subject. Dig up some real mud! And keep in mind, not all AFV's need to the gunged up to hell and back.

Top work.
Ron

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Andy
That is a great model so you should be pleased. Very sound advice from the guys. I fully understand the thought "I'll leave well alone incase I c*** it up!"
One thing I do is keep a book of ideas. When I started modelling about 9 years ago someone suggested keeping an 'ideas' book. When I read a blog with an idea which I think is interesting I make a note of it. When I try something new I note down what I do and how it turned out. This has now grown into 2 A4 folders which I have had to split into sections to keep it manageable. Now I appreciate it is a bit nerdy and won't suit everyone but I now have a very useful modelling book which is very appropriate for me 'cause I wrote it :smiling:
Keep enjoying yourself - that is really all that matters.
Jim

Publish it Jim then you can have a model room on the beach in Bermuda looking out across the vista while some batheing beauties' sand down the seam lines and get rid of the flash for you on your latest build.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Steve
You really ought not to mention bathing beauties and the phrase 'flash for you' in the same post. The old ticker is not was it was and can't deal with that sort of excitement :smiling: :rolling: :cool:
jim

D

Deleted member 7181

I like that a lot Andy.
Just the right amount of subtle weathering.
Don't get carried away with all the stuff supposedly required for any heavy weathering of the subject. Dig up some real mud! And keep in mind, not all AFV's need to the gunged up to hell and back.

Top work.
Ron
Thanks Ron.

We have around half a tonne of builders sand left over from our extension so I grabbed a bit of that this morning. Mixed it with some PVA and brown paint, and went to town on a test piece. It looked pretty convincing I must say, and flicking it on with a stiff brush gave a nice splatter effect too.

I now have the most heavily weathered milk carton in the country :smiling5:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
The other thing to consider is the life span of this equipment was not long. You see a lot of builds very heavily distressed ,chipped and rusted which do show the modellers skills is un realistic and most crewa would look after their rides as it kept them alive.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy,
The other thing to consider is the life span of this equipment was not long. You see a lot of builds very heavily distressed ,chipped and rusted which do show the modellers skills is un realistic and most crewa would look after their rides as it kept them alive.
Scotties about right there. Sometimes artistic license can get carried away. There is a difference between a knocked out burnt tank and a running one. The ETO in the west only lasted slightly over a year and even if a shot up Sherman was retrieved it would have been fixed and splashed with a new coat of paint. Germans would constantly repaint their camo( they carried their own spray kit with waterbased paint) depending on the terrain they were campaigning during rest and refitting. The Russians just simply replaced with fresh factory units that overwhelmed the Germans although their aces claimed some a hundred Russian tanks each.

An over weathered tank does look good until reality check comes to play.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thank you both. Something to bear in mind before I get carried away.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
When I first started my first ten or so builds I classed them as practice builds. I remember I did an artillery piece that I rusted to the nth degree. I learnt a great deal about weathering and rust work from that build but it was totally unrealistic. At the end of the day its your build and your rules. However if its realism you are after then there will always be good advice here to help you out.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for that Steve.

I still very much class every build as a practice or learning experience, which is why I want to learn so many different techniques. I may never want to weather something very heavily, but if I have that in my locker I can use it if I want to. For instance if I move on to diorama and want to do a vehicle stuck in deep mud, I'll have an idea of how to do it. I'm not yet interested in super detailing, but I'd love to learn how so I can have a crack if I wish.

So many things to learn and I know I can't do them all at once, but I figure the more methods I know, and the more models I build, the better understanding I'll get of when to use a particular process or not :smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good approach Andy. It's good to have knowledge under the belt and used when needed. The new generation Y & Z behave like instant noodles...if it's not achieved in the first sitting then they'll loose interest and move on.

I just helped to conduct a kit building session for a batch of visiting Air Scouts & Cubs from Hong Kong aged between 10 to 14 for their merit badges. They chose to do this so enthusiasm was in abundance at the beginning. Everyone followed instructions on cutting and sanding. Airbrushing was a hit...the girls were better than the boys at it. All was well until decalling where we had to explain beforehand the process and suddenly half of them said they had lost their decals. We suspected they didn't want to go through the tedious process. At least two out of the whole batch showed promise and may take up the hobby seriously.

To show you the range of finishes, two were complete, some hand painted, some underside not painted, half with no decals, one psychedelic color scheme and one pokerdotted. Everyone had a different approach to their first kit. It's when we tell them that's not the way that's when individual creativity is stiffled. So I remind my collegues that this is only an introduction and let them have fun, guide them only when they get into difficulty or look frustrated.

Sorry Andy for taking up space here. You've started this hobby like a duck in a swimming pool. A large proportion of the guys here would love your skills. Carry on and enjoy.

S1.jpgS2.jpgS3.jpgS4.jpgS5.jpgS6.jpgS7.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

That looks like it was a fun day, giving them an early taste of the hobby. I certainly wish I'd started years ago!

And many thanks for the compliment Richard, it means a lot coming from someone with your skills and experience.