T 38 Amphibious Tank 1/35 scale by PARC models.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good progress 453.
Do you want the thread shifting over to dioramas?

Yes please 570, realised it after I'd posted , cheers .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Mr R,
Top stuff doing a submerged tank....I very much like where this is going :nerd::thumb2:
Thanks Si.
HI John sorry to hear about the tracks bein back to front but i'll say this I looked ok to me I would never have noticed
chris
[/QUOTE
Christopher, that's kind of you to say .

John,
I like where this is heading.
Thanks Paul, will try to save the day !

Hi John
Off to a great start.
Jim.
Yes let's hope it stays that way Jim .

Thanks guys.
John .

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Sorry John i completely missed this one... really apologize....
Now i'm in.. 4th row... but i can see it now..

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry John i completely missed this one... really apologize....
Now i'm in.. 4th row... but i can see it now..
No need to apologise Greg, I miss so many posts on here, then suddenly see the final !
Push your way to the front and nudge Steve he keeps knodding off .
John .
Had a good afternoon on the base, edge play fitted and started on the bank , will post some photos tomorrow.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right now in the right place thanks to Ron. :thumb2::thumb2: Thanks 570.

Some good progress.
First thing was to frame the foam.
IMG_4897.JPG

Next was to protect the ply so taped up.

IMG_4898.JPG

Eventually the whole outer face was done.

IMG_4899.JPG

Above the whole surface has had a thin coat of pva sealer, followed by a coat of dry lining adhesive.
Then some cat litter . sand and soil.

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

I spray the surface first with Isopropyl Alcohol at 99.9% mixed with 30 % water. This breaks the surface tension of the pva sealer and the results are a fast saturation , no dry spots that you would get with straight pva sealer.
The surplus glue you can see in the trench is eventually poured into all the edge gaps.

IMG_4903.JPG

Closer shot of the bank, showing the mix of stone and cat litter.

IMG_4905.JPG

By this point I had drilled out the top and made up up some tress using a combination of Sea grass
( Right hand side ) and black berry roots.
These were then sprayed in hair lacquer and some Woodland scenics and some WWS flock dropped onto the branches. Two green were used, the darker one first, then another spay followed by the lighter. green to show some new growth. A tree branch, along with some rootlets were placed by the lower bank. Also some moss with seed heads on , just down from thew sea grass. Also three clumps of grass finish the bank area.
The T38 has been placed in to give an impression.

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

Next will be the coloring of the ground where the water will be. Might put a line of rushes in as well , but stocks are down and Wilkos have no stock .( No doubt there are other outlets who sell such brushes, but I prefer the Wiko own ! )

Hope you like, comments welcome .
John.

Attachments

• IMG_4902.JPG
    IMG_4902.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 1
D

Deleted member 6559

Great stuff John. Yo are certainly a very determined man. Great idea.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi John,
Looks like you have been busy! I really like the edging round the foam...what ply is that?

You’ve got a really nice results on the bank, the stones look very natural as does the foliage...very nice mate:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great stuff John. Yo are certainly a very determined man. Great idea.
Thanks Peter.

Hi John,
Looks like you have been busy! I really like the edging round the foam...what ply is that?

You’ve got a really nice results on the bank, the stones look very natural as does the foliage...very nice mate:thumb2:
Cheers Si, oh that ply, well quite a story. It came out of a pack of far eastern ply that Jewsons had in. A friend worked in the mill , when he saw the figure on some of the sheets he grabbed them and hid them away, knowing that I would love it. Used a lot in the back of cabinets and ended up with a few off cuts which I bought home.

John.

Thanks thinking about what type of water to use :smiling::smiling:

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
My pleasure....

Top job 453 and I see you can still cut a mean mitre around the box too!.... :thumb2:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Dude 2,

It appears that you have pulled out all stops and haven't been gardening or with Ray. I can't believe how quickly you slammed this thing together. It looks great and your talent shows through. Your scenery work is first rate and this is gonna be killer when you are done Buddy!!! How are you going to do the water John???? I know you have a plan...………..

Prost
Dude 1

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Allen says it all. Your scenery skills are epic. Most impressive. PM sent

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My pleasure....

Top job 453 and I see you can still cut a mean mitre around the box too!.... :thumb2:

Ha, 570 :smiling3:thought you would notice. I was quite impressed my self .:flushed: ! Mind you took me long enough to do it !!.

Hey Dude 2,

It appears that you have pulled out all stops and haven't been gardening or with Ray. I can't believe how quickly you slammed this thing together. It looks great and your talent shows through. Your scenery work is first rate and this is gonna be killer when you are done Buddy!!! How are you going to do the water John???? I know you have a plan...………..

Prost
Dude 1
Dude 1, I've been putting the time in , all Wednesday evening, Thursday morning.
Today went to the local recycling centre with some soil and some other scrap, only I can return with something else ! Most people take, I do both. Saw a guy with a roll of thick plastic climber support, asked him was he getting rid of it, he was happy, I was even happier. Just what I needed for Ann's garden ! Mrs R just raised her eyebrow when told .:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

Allen says it all. Your scenery skills are epic. Most impressive. PM sent
Thanks Steve , nice one appreciate your pm .

Dude 1 has asked about the water, well there are 3 methods , one using commercial made ones, these are ok, I've used them before . The next is silicone as you see usedmost effectively by 570 and Jim . I've just seen another method using one of the new hdybrid polymer grab adhesives, now this can be thinned using Isopropyl alcohol to make it much runnier, so I might have a play with this first before I do anything.
John aka Dude 2

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
John - loving the base so far :thumb2:

Excellent bit of gardening

Waiting for water.....

(don't use clear resin - very exothermic and shrinks like mad. Been there, done that ruined the model
Precision Ice & Snow water is excellent for still water but probably not for turbulent water - can be tinted with pigments)

First Name
Wouter
Completely missed this one. Nice start. And I really like what you are doing with that groundwork John. Looking forward to see the water too!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John - loving the base so far :thumb2:

Excellent bit of gardening

Waiting for water.....

(don't use clear resin - very exothermic and shrinks like mad. Been there, done that ruined the model
Precision Ice & Snow water is excellent for still water but probably not for turbulent water - can be tinted with pigments)
Morning Simon, the water movement is important in this , as you say Precision Ice & Snow water is good. Very much like Vallejo still water which you may remember I tried to colour for oil stains.
It's adding colour that is the problem, in the video I watched he added inks into the mix and these blended in. Tests will have to take place .

Your mention of exothermic reminded me that yesterday while making a batch of Isopropyl I normally mix it in an open jug, but just poured the Isopropyl straight into the spray bottle , then added the water . This is what happened to the bottle due to the small opening.
IMG_20190420_081456186.jpg

Completely misshapen, shan't do that again , and the plastic has gone hard !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Completely missed this one. Nice start. And I really like what you are doing with that groundwork John. Looking forward to see the water too!
Morning Wouter thanks for looking in. Hope you and the family are all well .
John .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A'men to Simon's observations re. clear resin.

Keep it simple, 453.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A'men to Simon's observations re. clear resin.

Keep it simple, 453.
570, Thank you for your message, to day I tried some of the other type of clear adhesives, you may find this interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like most of us the finding of something that is cheaper and be made to work in modelling is always a challenge

I want to use a cheaper " Water " that is able to show ripples. Now I know Ron is a ace at such a thing, we have all seen and admired his sea scenes and rivers in dioramas using silicone.
Now my experience of using silicone when fitting goes back a good few years, always messy and thick so I looked for something that could be thinned.
Now this is at the test stage still, i'd seen it used on UTube but not with oil or acrylics to colour.
IMG_4909.JPG

IMG_4910.JPG

A ms polymer adhesive, I had a tube in the stores half used so thought I'd give it a try
IMG_4911.JPG

Nice and thick and as sticky as you can imagine, certainly not an east material to spread in an even layer like in a river scene

Added a couple of full pipets of straight Isopropanol, and stirred with a coffee stirrer until it was all mixed in and became more fluid like.

IMG_4912.JPG

At this point I decided to add a dash of oil paint and mix.

IMG_4913.JPG
Well nothing went amiss so decided to add a touch of Vallejo acrylic

IMG_4917.JPG

OK a bit heavy on the colour, but again no reaction as of yet.

I had saved some of the first mix with the oil

IMG_4918.JPG

Now this looks more promising, leaving it for 10 minutes it held the shape it had been given s is drying .
I've just been into the cave and touched the two lids, well both are still pliable, but don't leave any on the skin.
The test will be how long they take ( if ever ) to dry fully.
I used quite a lot of the thinners agent and maybe this is causing the problem.

Time will tell .
John.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Interesting experiment 453.

last time I mixed summat it blew my eye brows off!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
That really is the dogs dangly bits. The ground work with the eroded river bank is excellent and the planting is superb.