T-55A miniart.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
My first miniart kit. Now I know!!!
Must admit that I've been watching builds and reading about a lot of manufacturers on here, and there are some that I won't be buying until I get more experience under my belt!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Must say that’s a bit bemusing.....a lot of very small frets. Some of the parts look tiny......

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Might have to invest in some of those,I have a big led magnifier on a bendy stand but it's only X2 .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That's ridiculous......
Nah, they just figure that the cost of a mould depends on how big it is, so if they put (for example) a pair of wheels to a sprue, this will make things cheaper than two large sprues with five pairs of wheels each. Also, MiniArt seems to be very good at planning kits for modularity, so they can swap out a few sprues to offer different variants without going the Dragon route of including four different, large sprues of which you use a total of seven parts.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Did wonder why they only put two wheels to a sprue but that makes perfect sense. Learnt something new :thumb2:

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have built a few MiniArt kits and they do like to have lots of tiny, fiddly bits, most of the very small bits of PE fret are just a waste of metal in my opinion, other opinions are available of course. :smiling:

Andy.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nah, they just figure that the cost of a mould depends on how big it is, so if they put (for example) a pair of wheels to a sprue, this will make things cheaper than two large sprues with five pairs of wheels each. Also, MiniArt seems to be very good at planning kits for modularity, so they can swap out a few sprues to offer different variants without going the Dragon route of including four different, large sprues of which you use a total of seven parts.
Thanks Jakko. Makes sense. It's still an awful lot of sprues though.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Did wonder why they only put two wheels to a sprue but that makes perfect sense. Learnt something new :thumb2:
I’ve only built one MiniArt kit too, a Medium Tank M3, and it has the same design philosophy. For example, there are three wheels on a sprue, of which you get four, and there’s a sprue with both halves of the drive sprocket, and you get two of those.

It's still an awful lot of sprues though.
I was a bit startled by how full that M3’s box was :smiling3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have made a few Mini Art kits some pieces are very small and they make 5 things to make 1 but the level of detail when finished is very good.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Well that's the first 65 bits done!
Does come with adjustable torsion bars, I've not used them as it's going to be sitting flat on a trailer.

Attachments

• 20210420_233807.jpg
    20210420_233807.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 15

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
No one will see them once the wheels on but I'll know so I'll crack on till one goes ping out the tweezers !!

• Haha
Reactions: JR