T34/85NVA type 63 Military Wheels 1/72 (final part of the three pigs trilogy)

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well I actually started this one before throwing it up the back of the stash, this wasn't a blind purchase i actually did some homework most said it was a nice little kit only let down was that the armour on the turret was over scale ie to thick ,the running gear was a complete pile the moulding of the hull detail wasn't that sharp either I gave it up as a good idea gone bad.
20210509_091758.jpg
20210509_092003.jpg
So decided to use a doner body Ifound this second hand on the King Kit web site (always worth a blimp if there's something you fancy and don't mind second hand) 20210509_092435.jpg
On arrival was taken aback at what a nice little kit it was and didn't want to use it so back to the stash and pulled this out
20210509_092336.jpg
20210509_092413.jpg
YES I know the parts are the same as the 34/85 but id rather use this one and stash the resin turret and metal barrels for another day ,so fingers crossed at least one part of this build should go without a hitch . Dave

Last edited:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Have pottered about using the doner hull and running gear ,any gray plastic is from the NVAtype63 some white bits of attempted scrachery ,the etch was left over from the IS2recovery vehicle ( see finished builds). Got to the point where I wanted to start the turret and then noticed the turret hole of the doner kit was the wrong size so whipped out the Mercedes 2000 Manicure and Pedicure set:tears-of-joy:(see ebay) and routed out the hole to take the plate thingy, luckily nothing fell off during this prosses
20210513_153530.jpg
20210513_164928.jpg
Must admit easy bit done the turret and gun components look total:poop:but that was part of the reason for it being rejected the first time. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good luck with this Dave. Looks like a little bit of fiddling around is on the cards....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in of course Dave.:nerd:.
Liking those fuel tanks by the way .

Last edited:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Good luck with this Dave. Looks like a little bit of fiddling around is on the cards....
Thanks Tim ,actually its not as bad as it seems ,I think in the last few months I've changed my attitude towards it all ,this one and the last two were thrown up the back of the stash because as a dedicated box basher I wouldn't have lowered myself to touch them ,then Mr Race started bunker busting and something clicked(I'm blaming him anyway) I thought I've got one of them in the stash put my head down and dived in I certainly seem to caught fettleinganitus, its been good done lots of bits that I never would,have even tried . Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim ,actually its not as bad as it seems ,I think in the last few months I've changed my attitude towards it all ,this one and the last two were thrown up the back of the stash because as a dedicated box basher I wouldn't have lowered myself to touch them ,then Mr Race started bunker busting and something clicked(I'm blaming him anyway) I thought I've got one of them in the stash put my head down and dived in I certainly seem to caught fettleinganitus, its been good done lots of bits that I never would,have even tried . Dave
Fettling is good fun once you get used to it Dave. It’s a really useful tool to have in your modelling armoury as well. You’ve certainly taken to it like a duck to water. Your recent builds have been excellent, allowing you to go down the road less travelled....more power to your elbow :thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Before I update with a few new pics I'd just like to add that the mouldings for the turret and weapons were some of the worst ive ever worked with and to make it worse the gray plastic seemed to have a thing about cement but still its not pretty but I've got there wich is what these builds are about.
20210515_082109.jpg
Starting from the left you can see on the first four panels I've reduced the thickness to try and make it look more to scale. Next three show it broken down for primer and mocked up,might try and prime up tomorrow during the day then hopefully throw some green its way in the week .
20210516_133557.jpg
20210516_133407.jpg
20210516_133447.jpg
Still a little sanding to do but will probably feel better about the whole thing once primed at least then you can see what you've got. Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi David, was looking to find a post to fill one that's been missing so I checked out your post as the only other guy I would check out in 1/72 was Simon. Now looking at that paper thin fettling work I'm glued to the seat. :smiling3:

I won't be too worried about the putty as more is better in anticipation of shrinkage. Sanding will take care of it and looking forward to the primer.

Gonna read up on your other posts if you don't mind...mojo to build has taken a backseat for the moment.

Cheers,
Richard

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Fine fettling ( great word ) David

Very impressive!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi David
Some of those UM kits are quite nice. They often give you a bit of resin and a small PE fret which is nice. You're doing a great job of this. As others have said great fettling.
Jim

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi David, was looking to find a post to fill one that's been missing so I checked out your post as the only other guy I would check out in 1/72 was Simon. Now looking at that paper thin fettling work I'm glued to the seat. :smiling3:

I won't be too worried about the putty as more is better in anticipation of shrinkage. Sanding will take care of it and looking forward to the primer.

Gonna read up on your other posts if you don't mind...mojo to build has taken a backseat for the moment.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard the other two from this trilogy are in the completed armour builds ,they are all kits that I'd opened the box thought what a load of rubbish and put them at the back of the stash ,then John Race started his bunker buster build and I thought I've got a KV2 in the stash of course it was one of the rubbish ones but as they say in for a penny in for a pound stuck with it and I thought came out with a nice little build ,since then I've been on a mission to finish three rubbish kits from the back of the stash this one being the final part of the puzzle. Dave.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi David
Some of those UM kits are quite nice. They often give you a bit of resin and a small PE fret which is nice. You're doing a great job of this. As others have said great fettling.
Jim
Cheers Jim there's that word again :hungry: . Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well no primer today sanded the turret only for it to fall apart ,as I said strange grey plastic doesn't like glue still got it back together try and prime tomoz speedway on euro sport tonight coming from Poole you have to love the speedway. Dave

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Not into speedway now, sons are though - eldest off to a meeting tonight (hour and a half plus trip) Kings Lynn vs Ipswich (he's a witches fan and helps out on the track at home meetings - start/finish line, the youngest does corner 3)

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
David. So many little parts I’m with John on the tanks very nice

Reactions: JR

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sorry to report that alas this build has been terminated big time ,unfortunately my daughters cat got hold of the turret and totally mullered the weapon ,so after all that work what was left is in the bin , I will find a replacement for the trilogy but first perhaps a break away from this ive a little number coming in the post that I'm quite enthusiastic about in the mean time I'll go through the stash for a new third little piggy.