T34 & BT 5 t IN 1/72

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not my best effort, as lost the mojo when ill so hence the late finish.
Once again the tracks were my downfall, other than that quite enjoyed this, lots of help from David Lovell who pushed me to finish.

2022.jpg2022_2.jpg2022_3.jpg2022_5.jpg2022_6.jpg2022_8.jpg2022_9.jpg

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John, pity about the track on the T34.
Thanks Paul, that was a pity as I'd taken some time to do them on the tape, then they fell apart when lifted up. Bit of mess to be honest.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks fine for a first go in an unfamiliar scale John. Plenty for others to like there….even if you don’t like it yourself.
The thing to do is take an honest look at it and work out what you want to improve, and concentrate on that for the next one. If you want practice, try some of the Plastic Soldier Company stuff. They aren’t as detailed, but are cheap, and do paint up well…..and they don’t have individual track links…..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks fine for a first go in an unfamiliar scale John. Plenty for others to like there….even if you don’t like it yourself.
The thing to do is take an honest look at it and work out what you want to improve, and concentrate on that for the next one. If you want practice, try some of the Plastic Soldier Company stuff. They aren’t as detailed, but are cheap, and do paint up well…..and they don’t have individual track links…..
Absolutely agree about PSC.

John

No complaints here. It's not your normal scale and link and length tracks give me nightmares!

As Tim, said PSC are great for a quick and easy build, plus you normally get three vehicles. Well over half my AFV builds are PSC, so have a look at my builds.

ATB.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Well done John on giving the 1/72 a try. I think they'd have been too diddy for my sausage fingers.....

Nick

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
We're our own worst critics. Ok it's not your best but it still has a lot going for it. Maybe sometime in the future a really muddy base. Mud can be a modeller's best friend ;)
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
How on earth have you managed to do this! I can just about do braille scale with two eyes, two magnifying glasses and an optivisor. Yet you manage with just the one eye! Incredible my friend, absolutely incredible. I think you have done a fine job and I wish you all the best on your next bit of modelling madness

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks good JR....I LIKE the hitchhikers, I think your 1/72 figs. Are excellent. And don't sweat the tracks, you'll get better as time goes on. ;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I remember it well…..no tracks this time eh!
No, and I'll be able to see the figures . Though I did enjoy attempting them , it certainly opens the mind on how other scales builders work .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It will seem huge after your recent dabbling in braille scale John ;) Changing scales occasionally is a great way to expand your skill set, at least in my opinion….Working in the smaller scales, for example, teaches you (eventually) really useful lessons.
You simply cannot put all the fine detail in for the tiny scales, so only put in what is essential for the scale in which you are modelling. I remember P Diddy driving himself half mad because he tried to put in the same level of detail on some small scale figures as he did on the large scale monsters he was so very good at.
The other thing is that smaller scales need more contrast added in the painting. Small scale objects simply don’t produce shade like larger scale objects. The light source doesn’t change intensity in relation to the scale change….it stays the same, so you need to compensate for it….again, once you get used to work8ng across the scales this becomes second nature….

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You certainly get better at working with small parts following working with 1/72, started to work better in a fashion with them .
Agree about detail esp in the figures with light and stronger contrast needed. Won't be the last time I do some either !

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
How on earth have you managed to do this! I can just about do braille scale with two eyes, two magnifying glasses and an optivisor. Yet you manage with just the one eye! Incredible my friend, absolutely incredible. I think you have done a fine job and I wish you all the best on your next bit of modelling madness
He’s a Genius Steve I think that’s how he pulled this build off

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John all looks well to me my friend lots of encouragement from your fellow modelers too. I’m so glad you joined us on this GB. Hang in there my friend.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, great therapy on the small stuff and hanging in there. In this scale you work with tweezers more often and lesser broad strokes when painting...something like miniaturising your building method with the help of magnifiers.
Good attempt and hope you do more.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, great therapy on the small stuff and hanging in there. In this scale you work with tweezers more often and lesser broad strokes when painting...something like miniaturising your building method with the help of magnifiers.
Good attempt and hope you do more.

Cheers,
Richard
Yes Richard.
Have this on the bench .
IMG_20220507_172648020.jpg
Very small and compact , made a start .