Paul
Maybe I can snag some timbers from the bridge. PaulE

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see how the models will interact on the base. Looks like you are having a lot of fun. Keep it comin mate

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good John...let it snow..let it snow..let it snow (singing in my best bing crosby voice)

• Haha

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking good in the Eastern front John, btw what foam is that you're using? Looks more like Boston cheese cake and you really had to use SH*T to stick them. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Maybe I can snag some timbers from the bridge. PaulE
Think you could Paul as it appears there will be little room left for the two sides ! .
Nice to see how the models will interact on the base. Looks like you are having a lot of fun. Keep it comin mate

Loving it Steve, thank you .
Looking good John...let it snow..let it snow..let it snow (singing in my best bing crosby voice)
Very nice Joe, I can just imagine Bing.

Looking good in the Eastern front John, btw what foam is that you're using? Looks more like Boston cheese cake and you really had to use SH*T to stick them. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard
Hi Richard, the foam is an insulation sheet Celotex boards are manufactured from polyisocyanurate (PIR), which is a thermoset plastic in the form of foam. Celotex boards are often PIR boards with foil facings to improve insulation levels. ! Easy to cut , but is messy as it gets everywhere .
I have a load of off cuts in the attic, so keep nicking the odd piece. Have had them for years, knew one day they would serve their purpose.
Now that glue, not in my mind a very good name for a product they we took into people houses, but it's very good, works well in the wet or dry . Polymer-based and solvent free.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The base is looking interesting John, staying tuned for progress.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The base is looking interesting John, staying tuned for progress.
Thanks Graeme, going to post some photos tomorrow as have loads done to the buildings so you won't have to wait long !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi well here we are again, having two builds on the go is taking so much space up the bench is even in a worse state than it normally is, no one tell Jim please.

This is the continuation of the base.
Glue to the insulation board, I like to put a good coat of PVA down before the Sculptamold Modeling Compound goes on. In fact after putting the glue on I mixed up the Sculptamould and applied straight away. It does then take longer to dry, but at least it has a good key.

2020_8.jpg

2020_7.jpg
Glue well brushed on.
2020_6.jpg
Sculptamold on.

2020_5.jpg

2020_4.jpg

Comments welcome.
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
The base is taking shape mate.
Hi Paul, bit by bit, had to have the base in the house to dry it out at room temp. Bridge in planning !

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looking good John :thumb2:
That sculptamould is great fun to play with and surprisingly tough once set up.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good work on the ground profile John. I use sculptamould on my small figure bases. I don’t pre coat the base with PVA though, I simply add the glue to the wet mix along with the water. I also pre-colour the mix with powder paint at the same time.......

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John :thumb2:
That sculptamould is great fun to play with and surprisingly tough once set up.

Hi Si, hope you are all well at home.Thanks, yes very tough , can tell when its dry by that hollow sound.

Good work on the ground profile John. I use sculptamould on my small figure bases. I don’t pre coat the base with PVA though, I simply add the glue to the wet mix along with the water. I also pre-colour the mix with powder paint at the same time.......

Thanks Tim, think I would normally use your methods , but as this insulation foam is so dry and crumbly I add the PVA in that way.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice progress update JR and not a snowman in place. Keep up the great work my friend

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice progress update JR and not a snowman in place. Keep up the great work my friend
Oh it's going to be cold enought for a snow man soon Steve. Just ordered a kit of Russians in winter clothing as the crew of the armoured car .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right back onto this.
This is as far as I've got too .

Base is done, trees and bridge will follow, the bridge is in work.
2020_39A.jpg
Plenty of shading this time.

2020_40.jpg
Forget the turret, still needs painting properly ! have no idea how that got into that state :surprised:

Note the sawn off wheel , part of the rear chassis is glued on ------ just .

2020_41.jpg2020_42A.jpg

Of course having fitted the main hatch the figure is too fat ! to get in with the covers in place, so they are off for the moment.

2020_43.jpg

As this is going to be in thick snow I couldn't see the point of using Fruils. That join will have to be either cramped or a large dollop of snow will end up on it .:nerd::smiling3:

The bridge as mentioned is in work, can only get a small section of in in shot , but I think it need to be there.

Thanks for looking in, comments welcome.

Dzhon

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well rusty John. Nice to see it going again..

• Haha

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Right now it’s cold enough in Somerset for me John...expecting minus five tonight!

• Wow