T55 -1/35 - MAX4724 - Croatian army, Operation Storm, august 1995

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
This T55 belongs to Croatian 7th Guards Brigade ''Pume'' from Varaždin City. When Operation Storm (Operacija Oluja) began, it was deployed on Dinara mountain. This is very rare case in entire tank battles history, that tanks are attacking to overflank enemy from very rocky mountain (Dinara 1913 meters over sea), without streets, ways etc. between 1.st line and enemy. Military engineering build and prepared the entire roads up to 1.st line of deffence the previous winter, and those tanks overwinted on mountain. This brigade overflanked enemy by very risky descending from Dinara through rocky terrain in zone of Knin City, more precisely on back of enemy where they (Serbs) did not expecting so hard attack and was one of first tanks that liberate it.

There are many details from pictures, such as the registration plate of an agricultural tractor from Bosansko Grahovo with same number as this tank had. I spend many hours to find all rellevant pictures and videos, for example tactical markings (yellow circles) are painted with oblique, positions etc as on real vehicle, brigade sticker that is broken in corner, entire painting sheme, colour standards from this period etc. Flag is temporrary, need add some better, and there in reality was no evidence that this particular tank had City name plate on it.

Basic kit is Tamiya, but, i added, or removed extra details, as fuel lines, electric wiring, opposite turned square lid on box that is on front left side of turret etc.

8McHgP.jpg
eBBvib.jpg
dR4q7S.jpg
9NZUd6.jpg
lLRggw.jpg
A2AxSM.jpg
HxwZeu.jpg
34P6nR.jpg
Iw50x5.jpg

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Fantastic build and thanks for the back story!

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Some references:

On 0.42 minute (Not from Operation Storm but Operation Southern Move - Južni potez....good reference to compare type of t55)

Last edited:

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020

Fighting for Dinara mountain, preparations for summer Operation Storm, and tanks on Dinara mountain. There can be seen how engineering units making ways etc. There were no roads until then, only goat trails. You can see yellow mud on tracks of scale model (and real tank), as on this mountan roads.

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Superb painting Vedran, those tracks have some nice sag.

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Thank you John! :smiling3:

I looked on pictures for track sag. Caterpillars must be relaxed in area such this, with rocky terrain, otherwise, they will be wery fast damaged (there is mechanism for regulation of tension in tracks).

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking very good :smiling3: Did you hand-paint the turret numbers? It certainly looks like that.

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Looking very good :smiling3: Did you hand-paint the turret numbers? It certainly looks like that.

Numbers are from Star Decals - ''Jugoslavian Tank numbers 1990's''. Font, height fitted very well. I only added yellow color with felt pen.