T72B1

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
As the 113 Fitter took more work than expected, I have decided to take a break before going back to the Chieftain ARV and the work involved with that.
So, in the stash I have had this sitting for a lonnnnnnggggggg time.
There is going to be basically a build from the box - except for a new barrel and a little bit of etch, tracks from the box and beer from the fridge.
Work so far....
20210407_164727.jpg
20210407_164708.jpg
Cheers,
Mike

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Front row please.
"A build out of the box" - methinks you's telling porkies. :smiling2:
Jim

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
All right you lot behave, I see the local hooligans have arrived and dragged along a couple of innocents with them.
So you see that page with all the parts on - double it, I have enough parts here to build two models, all I need is another hull and turret, all the rest is here.
It's just parts! parts! and more parts....
To give you an idea here is the bottom of the hull...
20210407_201529.jpg
Before....
20210410_123734.jpg
And after.... Including the suspension arms which will be added later so that all the legs are level total is 72 parts, which include 30 little brass discs....
As can be seen the moulding of the parts are top drawer and here is the turret top....
20210407_201541.jpg
As yet untouched, and really no need to as it will be covered with little boxes - what was that song - little boxes, little boxes, all made out of ticky tacky.....
Here is a look at the brass....
20210407_201457.jpg
The barrel speaks for itself, that is an extra addition that I mentioned at the start. It is the two bags of brass on the left that come with the kit - if you turn those bags over, you have the self same parts on the other side of the white card - this kit is just made for John Race and his flying brass circus, lose a part, no worries, got another sheet as a spare....
The enging mesh at the top was bought as a replacement for the kit, before seeing the kit offering but will now be used. And the black viynl tube will be replaced with same thickness solder.
One word of warning, if you are going to build this kit, the wheels come with the usual inserts of tube for the axles - loads of black ones - and if you dig down to the bottom of the box there are the correct ones in semi clear tube, but do not worry as the wheels will fit the axles with very little play, so can be glued (I did not find the correct ones untill after I assembled the wheels). But the large ones are there for the idler wheel and drive sprocket.
The front half of the hull top has been added and is drying as we talk/type ready for the multitude of stand off boxes etc to be added, I thought it would be better to add this first instead of following the instructions.
And that is it for now - although still undecided about the tracks....
Mike.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting Mike. Who's the manufacturer?

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
In my dreams Mike.

Another car spotted !

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Now this does look nice, ..(i'm gonna class myself as one of the innocents....for now..lol), are the roadwheels moveable so it could be set in a dio driving over something ? or are they fixed like most kits?

HANG ON A MINUTE !!! ... STOP THE PRESS ........this is a Russian vehicle, so i'm guessing there'll be lashings of 4BO..(or its modern equivalent) splashing around the place ...yayyyyyyy !!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Since they’re clearly separate, it’s easy to alter them slightly so you can pose it for a diorama with rough ground. Just cut off the locating tabs, if they have those, or if the locating pins have a flat side instead, file that a little.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Since they’re clearly separate, it’s easy to alter them slightly so you can pose it for a diorama with rough ground. Just cut off the locating tabs, if they have those, or if the locating pins have a flat side instead, file that a little.
Thanks Jakko,

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Now this does look nice, ..(i'm gonna class myself as one of the innocents....for now..lol), are the roadwheels moveable so it could be set in a dio driving over something ? or are they fixed like most kits?

HANG ON A MINUTE !!! ... STOP THE PRESS ........this is a Russian vehicle, so i'm guessing there'll be lashings of 4BO..(or its modern equivalent) splashing around the place ...yayyyyyyy !!!
Chris,
Don't let these old codgers lead you down the path to the dark side, their cruel intentions are to get you to places you have never been before.....
The suspension arms have a half cut peg at the end of the arm that goes into the hull, this can be cut off and there is still enough left for strength and to allow movement of the arms for a diorama.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Mike,
This look to be a great kit, very much looking forward to seeing you get it together.
The ERA blocks should keep you busy for a bit :flushed:
I’ll try and keep an eye on the rabble ....maybe knock up a batch of rock cakes to chuck at them if they get rowdy ;)

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Morning Mike,
This look to be a great kit, very much looking forward to seeing you get it together.
The ERA blocks should keep you busy for a bit :flushed:
I’ll try and keep an eye on the rabble ....maybe knock up a batch of rock cakes to chuck at them if they get rowdy ;)
Afternoon Si,
Got an update on the ERA blocks in a minute :astonished:
As for the rabble, forget the rock cakes, just throw rocks...

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Things are moving along at a crawl at the moment, but as there is nothing to be rushed that is fine.
Chris, here is a pic of the end of the suspension arm that can (will) be cut off to allow for movement.
20210411_144902.jpg
And there is plenty of meat left for attaching later.

Today children, we are going to lose the will to live. The cause of this is called ERA blocks.... Not so much that they are there but in the location of them...
20210411_141018.jpg
Can you see the little locating rings.....!
20210411_141009.jpg
Billy can.....!
Right that has got the stupidity out of the way - as you can see even on the close up - they vanish, even with the optivisor, they vanish. But if you look at the pic above and just above the top five blocks the secret is there.
I tried, oh how I tried and in the end there had to be a better way. These blocks actually sit on two pegs, one at each end and are located into the 'ring' that you can see dotted around the glacis plate. So trying to locate the pin into the ring while holding the model in one hand, the glue brush up one nostril, the block in the other hand and doing it all while standing on your head peering down a 1mm gap and trying to guess where the ring has gone....
Easy, just take a .5mm drill in a pin vice and put a small indentation in the ring, follow this up with a slightly larger drill bit and bingo! on went the light, the apple fell on the head.....
20210411_142256.jpg
Look at that.... all I have to do now is glue and locate......
20210411_144835.jpg
Simples...
Cheers,
Mike.