T72B1

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Moving at a brisk pace there Mike......does look like measles ;) best keep it indoors for a few days.
Rick H.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
98, yes 98 of the little dears
I still want to build a T-72 sometime, but that alone makes me want to give this kit a miss when I get round to that … Even more impressive than that you managed to get them on without going crazy (crazier? ;)) is that you didn’t lose even one of them.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
WOW. all very jiggery pokery to me, but enjoyable to see how the completely mad among us build.
Speak Thursday ( Tomorrow )

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You would think they might give you a few extra (2 dozen) just to feed the "carpet monster" so you could finish the build without having to order more etch from the manufacturer. :thinking: Rick H.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
You would think they might give you a few extra (2 dozen) just to feed the "carpet monster" so you could finish the build without having to order more etch from the manufacturer. :thinking: Rick H.
There was over 20 spare...

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I still want to build a T-72 sometime, but that alone makes me want to give this kit a miss when I get round to that … Even more impressive than that you managed to get them on without going crazy (crazier? ;)) is that you didn’t lose even one of them.
Jakko,
Go for it, even without the extra etch that I bought as a just in case, this kit will keep you going for a long time. Just looking for the spru you want is an adventure. Financially and if you are into Russian modern then it is high value for money.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
WOW. all very jiggery pokery to me, but enjoyable to see how the completely mad among us build.
Speak Thursday ( Tomorrow )
I am not mad I tell you, I have had the examination and have the paperwork to prove it :tongue-out3: It is all rumours put about by those that do not understand me :unamused:...
Speak tomorrow, in all day, have you ever tried to pick a lavatory lock with a wet bit of string - that is the definition of speed......

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I am not mad I tell you, I have had the examination and have the paperwork to prove it :tongue-out3: It is all rumours put about by those that do not understand me :unamused:...
Speak tomorrow, in all day, have you ever tried to pick a lavatory lock with a wet bit of string - that is the definition of speed......
That is not what Yvonne tells me, or the neighbors over the road in the new house !

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update.
The construction side of the build is now complete, the turret was the last item to be finished... and is shown just before the primer was added.
20210503_163411.jpg
20210503_163421.jpg
20210503_163359.jpg
20210503_163431.jpg
Now for some comments on the kit itself...
Trumpeter are to be congratulated for all the work they have put into the research and moulding of the kit, my main gripe if any was the lack of a lot of the location points or if they were there you needed radar to find them and more so with the turret construction....
20210430_145844.jpg
This is the location for the smoke discharger bracket, shown about three sizes above normal...
20210430_145941.jpg
This is a better view, even the camera had trouble....
As for the build... It does not state the age group it is aimed at, but I would say above 14 years of age and with help, even an experienced modeller will be frustrated at times. The instructions are good, but in some cases the smaller details (3mm or less) are left with just one drawing to show the vague location, but if you check on the later pages you will get an idea of where the item goes.
Would I build the kit again - yes! but not in a hurry, I would like to see the Meng offering and do a comparison, but if I were to build this kit again I would have to add more of my personal touches, but that is me. I tried as far as possible to build direct from the box, the barrel and brass for the engine mesh was added before I had the kit in my possesion, so they would have gone on anyway.
So what is left in the box, if anyone wants loads of T-72 bits, contact me.
So next time we talk it will be in the completed modes section, many thanks for your comments and support.
Mike

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looks good, more involved than I think that I could put up with though!

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update.
Forgot, I've got to paint the thing first.....
The tracks are now painted and here are some pics of the process...
20210505_122339.jpg
After the base coat I then masked off the tread area ready for the bare metal areas....
20210505_123645.jpg
Then I use some gun metal pigments to tone down the brightness as you can see on the lower set of tracks... Just enough to take off the shine...
20210505_124400.jpg
As you can see here.
The other side was just treated to some random rust tones ready for the weathering.
The hull and turret came next, first I laid in some shadows from an old Vallejo set for I think Uk vehicles, this was then followed with the base coat of Russian Green, I cannot tell you the number because the print hade vanished off the label, but I do know it was AK and the name began with a 'Z'. This was then followed with two highlights and that is where I am tonight...
Detail painting will be done tomorrow and then the whole model will be given a coat of satin or gloss varnish ready for the wash to tone everything down.
20210505_193223.jpg
20210505_193235.jpg
20210505_193249.jpg
20210505_193257.jpg
20210505_193333.jpg
20210505_193344.jpg
20210505_193358.jpg
I am in two minds about any additional camoflague colour scheme or to leave it in the 'Green' it is now, will have a think overnight.
Cheers,
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Getting there :smiling3: I think it looks a bit bright green for my taste, but with Russian tanks that’s an option, of course.

Is that an LAV in the background?

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Getting there :smiling3: I think it looks a bit bright green for my taste, but with Russian tanks that’s an option, of course.

Is that an LAV in the background?
It's the daylight lamp that is making it look brighter than what it is, but once the oil wash has been put over it, there should be a darkening of the green's.
Correct on the LAV, that's a 25 (Coyote) there is also a LAV III both of the Canadian Forces - but they are slow put you into a coma builds. I am running a file on them and once close to being finished will put up a blog.
Mike