t90ms

M

mega_man10

ok so ive almost competed this build for a friend but i cant help but look at it and think its missing something, im also having issue with weathering the light sand colour

27990708_2396836440342218_661469512_o.jpg

J

Jens Andrée

Looks like a nice build there!

My trick for making sand/dust weathering (or to fade any type of paint) is very light coats of XF-57 Buff in the airbrush from a distance.
It mellows out the paint job and blends it together. For a desert type weathering I would just go a bit heavier on the buff!

You can also use AMMO by Mig Light Dust 1401 to add "pools" of dust in areas it can collect but you have to be very careful and only add it sparingly and then fade it out along the edges. Took some practising until I worked out how to use it properly. My little 17ml bottle will probably last me a lifetime - that's how little you should use. Often buff is enough.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You could also try a pigment scrub. Go over it with a sand pigment and really scrub it in. Then dip a brush in odourless thinners, wipe most of it off on a paper towel and try to brush off as much of the pigment as you can. It leaves a dry dusty look to the model. It's what I used on my Bradley build.

M

mega_man10

thats a great idea im a big fan of using ak, what do you reccomend

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The above comments are excellent. I would add some more attention to rubber, tracks & bogies as these areas weather differently than painted steel. Reference photos are key in these areas. PaulE