Tag Picture Quiz (2019 edition)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Isn’t that clear from the second photo? :smiling3: Yes, we’re definitely in polder country.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
No, but not that far away. More to the south and across the water.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I'm throwing the towel in on this one.I can't find any information at all.I'd guess somewhere around Antwerp but no idea when or what happened.A little bit of Dutch interference?
Jon.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
They are pictures of what was probably the largest railway gun graveyard of the war, with four of them there: three K5 (E)s and one K12 (E). As you can see in the first photo, at least some were destroyed to prevent their use, but others look like they might have been in working order in photos. They were all evacuated from the northern French coast in the late summer of 1944 and ended up just outside the village of Sluiskil, which lies along the canal from Ghent to Terneuzen, because the units were obviously trying to avoid the Allies and blown-up bridges in Belgium. The bridge over the canal at Sluiskil was the only remaining option to withdraw the guns east, but it had been opened and mined by the Germans in defence of what the Canadians would later call the “Breskens Pocket”. As a result of all these guns with their associated railway hardware arriving there, pretty soon none of them could go forward or back and they ended up being abandoned, despite attempts to rescue at least some of them by ship, which were thwarted by German troops working at cross-purposes due to poor coordination between the Army and the Navy.

There are lots of photos on http://k5e.nl — a lot of generic ones of K5 (E) and K12 (E) guns, but if you go to the “Sluiskil 1944” link at the top of the page, there are tons of photos of these particular ones to be found in the submenus.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Very interesting.I looked at Hoek and Breskens and the railway system but never came across this site.
i met a lovely chap from Maastricht on my holiday who told me that the Breskens area is a good place to visit.And I do want to visit Walcheren at some time.
Jon

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you’re in Breskens then Vlissingen is a ferry-ride away, or a slightly longer journey through a motorway tunnel under the Westerschelde.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hey people, what and who goes? I'm assuming its still Jakko?

Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
958D0296-0D28-4CF7-A846-8FA3ABAA4A8A.jpeg

What ship is this?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes, it is. I was hoping it might be a little less recognisable than it turned out to be :smiling3:

For those who’ve never heard of it, it was supposedly a deep-sea mining vessel, but actually purpose-built to clandestinely recover the wreck of the Soviet Union’s K-129 submarine from the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thank you Jakko

I'll keep it to the floaty things, who is this and what was its purpose?

20191022_192302.jpg

Lee

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not me, sorry … The photo kind of makes me think of a military whaling vessel :smiling3:

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Military yes, whaler no... but was once a trawler...

Lee

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
During the Falklands crisis she was taken from her trade and used by a MCM Squadron, after which she continued her naval career...

Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m afraid this thread had sort of bled to death, finally :sad: Ships aren’t my area of expertise, and in any case it’s somewhat pointless if it’d be just the two of us posting here.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry lads, my recent house move has killed my spare time, and some personal health issues have sapped the mojo somewhat....it was fun while it lasted though, after all, where else would you have been asked to identify a picture of Hitler’s barber....