Takom 1/35 Jagdpanther G2 with Interior

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I wasn't goint to do a step by step, but encountering a few issues along the way which I guess some might have had before of have solutions...so here it goes:

I was quite excited about this one...always been fascinated with these, but the model is a little testing! First of all, the balance between building/dry-fitting/painting/glueing/weathering, I have discovered needs to be about 20 steps in advance. E.g. having made the chasis and gearbox, painted and then glued in place, then dryfitting the engine bulkhead lead to the discovery the lower hull was ever so slightly warped so threw out some of the fits. Thankfully given the paint and glue process, it was superglue rather than poly cement, so 'snapped' apart quite easily.

Here is where we are so far337328337329337330337331

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
One of the joys of kits with a full interior :smiling3:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Have put some more of the interior together...need another painting session before going any further:337426
Next process also requires the shells to be painted up. I can't decide whether to paint the kit shells from scratch, or try and take the shell and attach to the brass/ionised cases. Has anyone tried the latter? 337427

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Has anyone any expirience with Mig paint? I have the Tamiya Primer due to save repeatedly setting up the airbrush, but this mig paint bought to touch up seems to have no adherance at all...even on a primed surface. 337428

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work so far. Go for it. There was a mix of brass & steel casings in 8.8cm, so I would for sure try to use the 'brass' as well. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Has anyone any expirience with Mig paint? I have the Tamiya Primer due to save repeatedly setting up the airbrush, but this mig paint bought to touch up seems to have no adherance at all...even on a primed surface.
I bought two British Army colours (SCC 2 brown and SCC 15 olive drab) and sprayed the latter onto a model the other week. It went through my airbrush fine and doesn’t seem to have trouble adhering. However, this was on a model that I had previously painted several years ago with Humbrol enamels, but I wasn’t happy with the colour, so when I found the Mig paint I decided to buy that and try it. Could be that spraying it over bare plastic or resin is more problematic.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I bought two British Army colours (SCC 2 brown and SCC 15 olive drab) and sprayed the latter onto a model the other week. It went through my airbrush fine and doesn’t seem to have trouble adhering. However, this was on a model that I had previously painted several years ago with Humbrol enamels, but I wasn’t happy with the colour, so when I found the Mig paint I decided to buy that and try it. Could be that spraying it over bare plastic or resin is more problematic.
I have tried three of the German interiors set purchased from the shop here but all the same. It has been on primed surfaces...vallejo all worked fine! They separate easily in the bottle so have been extra careful mixing...maybe just still not enough!

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jack,
Are you brush painting or using an airbrush ? If you are brush painting that would explain your problems as ammo mig paints are temperental to say the least, they are designed for airbrush use with numerous thin coats needing to be applied to get a good result.
Jim

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Hi Jack,
Are you brush painting or using an airbrush ? If you are brush painting that would explain your problems as ammo mig paints are temperental to say the least, they are designed for airbrush use with numerous thin coats needing to be applied to get a good result.
Jim
That will be it. Just touching small areas up with a brush at the moment. Thanks Jim!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Some more progress...more of the hull interior done and some detail going into the painting and weathering. 337595337596

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Looking good, are you planning to do a cut-away version to show off the interior?

Peter

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I think a cut out may be beyond my abilities, but planning on keeping the top plating removable. It is painful to know a lot of the detail won't be seen!

morph

SMF Supporter
First Name
warren
Have put some more of the interior together...need another painting session before going any further:View attachment 337426
Next process also requires the shells to be painted up. I can't decide whether to paint the kit shells from scratch, or try and take the shell and attach to the brass/ionised cases. Has anyone tried the latter? View attachment 337427
Those brass/ionised cases look sweet

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Jack,
This is looking alright, do not bother with cut outs, leave all the hatches open, then watch the viewers get eye strain trying to focus in on all that detail....
Keep the good work coming.
Cheers, Mike.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Couple more WIP shots. The upper hull came pretty warped, so been tricky getting that re-aligned. I am a little nervous about the final fit, especially with the upper panel removable, but the dry fit isn't too bad. I have some 2mm LEDs so toying with the idea of installing one in the hull (more a question where the switch and battery go). 337844337845337847337848