Takom 1/35 M31 recovery tank.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Well, I need to stop tinkering with this one and call it done - not least so that I can get on and finish my entry in Lee's Russian tank group build. This was my first attempt at something without rubber band tracks and the link and length examples here could have been done better. I also had real problems with the Takom decals. This is the first Takom kit I've made so not sure whether that is the norm.

Painted mainly with Vallejo model air and with some dry brushing and oils to follow. Aside from the tracks and decals, the former of which is certainly my own doing, I'm quite pleased with how this has turned out.

Here are the pics.....

20220424_143902.jpg

20220424_143813.jpg

20220424_143805.jpg

20220424_143756.jpg

20220424_143744.jpg

20220424_143729.jpg

20220424_143719.jpg

20220424_143652.jpg

Thanks for looking in.....

Nick

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looks good to me :smiling3: What was the problem with the decals? I’ve only used one set of Takom decals, which were given to me to use on a kit from a different maker, and I found them to be thick and difficult to get to bend around curves, but they stuck well enough.

Also: lucky you that you have one of these kits :smiling3: I’ve been looking (though not overly hard) for one for some time, but it’s been out of stock at every web store I’ve ordered other stuff from.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Oh, I rather like this, very nice model and very nice work.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Thanks very much Guys!

The decals.... I had real problems with them breaking up, hence there are a few smaller ones missing or not aligned correctly.

I started on this one last autumn and just remembered that the plastic was also reluctant to take paint at first, despite washing it. In the end I think I just needed to use more detergent, warmer water and more time in soak.

One other thing that I did not fully resolve was in trying to make the cables look like they were in tension. Any suggestions to help with this in the future would be much appreciated.

As to the kit Jakko, I think I've had it for a couple of years or so. I had it on a watch list at Hannants and was in a position to jump in when they got a few in stock. Looks like it's being reissued this year so I hope you manage to get one.

Thanks again for all your kind comments.

Nick

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
That'll be a nice little project Jakko. Looks like the crane could be near to its working limit though...

Nick

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Apparently it weighed about 1200 kg, while the M31’s crane could lift 4500 kg without using the support legs — which, I suppose, means the position they’re in here, because when they’re at the hull front that goes up to 5400 kg, and to 14 tonnes with the legs on the ground.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good to me :smiling3: What was the problem with the decals? I’ve only used one set of Takom decals, which were given to me to use on a kit from a different maker, and I found them to be thick and difficult to get to bend around curves, but they stuck well enough.

Also: lucky you that you have one of these kits :smiling3: I’ve been looking (though not overly hard) for one for some time, but it’s been out of stock at every web store I’ve ordered other stuff from.
Jakko,
That's a pity you want the M31 as I have an untouched Tasca M32B1 that's available to a be re-homed at a very reasonable price (or swap etc ...). Open to suggestion so if interested please PM me! (If Jakko isn't interested then the open offer still stands)
Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's a little cracker that! Nice one Nick.