Takom 1/72 MAZ Tank Transporter

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Made a start on this today. It may eventually end up as part of a dio with other vehicles if I'm brave enough, but for now I'll blog it as a stand-alone build.

HCi2Mw9.jpg

I won't go through all the sprues but it's nice to see them clearly labelled

HK2MThP.jpg

Main cab is a nicely detailed one piece moulding

NjQEFjd.jpg

Never come across attachment points like this. Will have to keep an eye on which bit is sprue and which bit is part!

M495BKw.jpg

And some nice tiny parts to add to the fun

qXeO3dm.jpg

Chassis is in two main halves with several parts joining in afterwards. Fit was spot on and there aren't that many moulding lines for me to forget to clean up. Plenty of detail in the drivetrain

DYgziyY.jpg

8gCIsmg.jpg

And a bit of PE. Some of it has even gone on squarely lol. I've gone from a CA glue that takes forever to set to one that grabs instantly with absolutely no adjustment time.

OASQZTr.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Jim, rough guestimate it looks like it'll be around a foot / 30CM all in.

I've seen a couple built in videos and they mentioned no major issues, so hopefully this one will be straightforward. It's the other two similar trucks that will cause me headaches if I go ahead with the dio as they'll need a lot of mods! One wrecked, maybe burnt out, in a ditch, then another brand new one being delivered on this trailer that'll need the (solid) suspension adapting a lot to sit on the trailer properly. Plus interiors and seats for figures, maybe even a tractor or something trying to tow the stricken vehicle.

Getting cold feet already but I'll never know what I can do if I don't try! :smiling3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not to worry. The best plans seldom provide the original goals. Your vision will adapt to the tools/supplies/skills at hand or at least show up what's needed. It's all good experience. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for that Paul.

Creativity is normally my downfall, but once I have an idea in my head I'm generally pretty good at making it happen. As you say, I might have to change some things to suit my skill set, or put it to one side until I have more experience, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This should be fun for us, hopefully for you as well Andy.
Quite honestly I can't see you having much of a problem the way you have taken to modelling again.Those sprue points do look A bit different from the norm being so flat and wide.
Remember this is for fun, well someone told me that, personally I think he was lying:smiling2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Ian, John, Simon. Good to have you all here.

Fun John, yes, I must remember that :smiling5:

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers guys, I seem to be drawing a bit of a crowd.

No pressure then :smiling5:

Si, I've just been cursing at assembling the 5th wheel / swivel plate. Really no need for it to be that delicate! If I end up putting it in a dio I'll probably add some reinforcement to the area as there'll be quite a bit of weight on something with minimal glueing area.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looks like a nice kit. Your ideas for a dio sound intriguing. Look forward to seeing how it all turns out. Good luck

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Cheers guys, I seem to be drawing a bit of a crowd.

No pressure then :smiling5:

Si, I've just been cursing at assembling the 5th wheel / swivel plate. Really no need for it to be that delicate! If I end up putting it in a dio I'll probably add some reinforcement to the area as there'll be quite a bit of weight on something with minimal glueing area.
Thanks for the heads up Andy:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Looks like a nice kit. Your ideas for a dio sound intriguing. Look forward to seeing how it all turns out. Good luck
Cheers Steve. Probably over stretching myself with the dio idea but oh well :smiling5:

Started building up the suspension earlier. plenty of small parts but I think I now have an idea how to alter the height if I need to

CKbszAE.jpg

hYQUAaX.jpg

MyD53oA.jpg

The doors in this kit are a bit strange, being full clear parts. They took a bit of work to fit too being slightly oversized. I masked the windows inside & out before gluing while they were easy to get to. They look fairly easy to pose in the open position too should anyone want to. Probably easier than sanding them down to fit closed actually!

LxWCngZ.jpg

Primed up the chassis and gave the interior of the cab a bit of light green as I won't be able to get to it once the dashboard is fitted. I've only got one interior reference shot but it shows the seats and flooring as black, so some hairy stick action will be needed. Also the engine bay (behind the cab) is completely empty in this kit sadly, so I've left it black to hopefully hide that fact in the shadows.

VbDUXsQ.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Didn't take many pictures of the trailer build as it was pretty straightforward, but then we got to the PE. I've never done any bending of etch before and have no specific tools for the job, however this needed to happen:

zZTbXIY.jpg

Bend a plate to include a step and a 45° portion. Also some brackets to bend into a squared U shape with return flanges.

This is one of the brackets. At least it had the bend lines etched on. Not sure if that's a thing as I've never done this before, but it helped a lot.

Zh8XwoR.jpg

With a combination of a steel rule and 2 single edged razor blades I managed something that was at least similar to the instructions

mPUpKtk.jpg

iad9hkJ.jpg

Brow mopped, started breathing again, and continued on.

kFe7fRY.jpg

And after a lick of primer here it is mocked up to show the size

tTnwrdU.jpg

Need to decide on colour schemes now. There are 4 in the book, all listed with Mig Ammo colour references and suggested products for a different 8 stage weathering process for each version! Wash, filter, dust, streaking, tyre wash, oil stains etc. Talk about up-selling :smiling5:

Will probably go with a basic green for this, but not fully decided yet.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
Count me in to mate. Your off to a great start it looks like a nice little kit. Which CA are

D

Deleted member 7181

Andy,
Count me in to mate. Your off to a great start it looks like a nice little kit. Which CA are
I've been using some Jarvis stuff from Scale Model Shop which has been a bit hit and miss. I bought some Loctite Super Attak but my son pinched it, so I've resorted to Screwfix Mitre Bond as I had it left over from a kitchen fitting job :smiling5:

It's been pretty good so far. Quite thick but flows well. Grips really fast though so no messing about. I haven't needed the activator spray but it's there if I do.

D

Deleted member 7237

Oh this is a monster, some how I've missed it you have made a cracking start, looks like a very nice kit, I'll be whatching from the back.
Pete :thumb2: