Takom 1/72 MAZ Tank Transporter

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Pete. Yes it's quite big for a 1/72. Dio might have to be even bigger than I'd planned!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andy, I'm in the back with Pete. Looks good so far, I'm sort of leaning on the box art cammo patern but your call. Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

Rick, I have to agree the box art camo looks the best but there are two problems with it.

1) It's an Afghan Army scheme, so if I go for the dio idea it won't really work (but should I care?)
2) I have no idea how to do it justice on 1/72 without days of masking :smiling5:

I know I could do the 2 main colours then brush in the outline but my hairy stick skills aren't up to that. Or spray the outline colour first, mask that out with very fine flexible tape and do the other two. Easy on a flat surface but not a model with lumps n bumps n grilles n stuff.

I'm still mulling it over though so anything could happen!

D

Deleted member 7181

It's been a while what with one thing and another but a few paints arrived today so got some colour on this. Went with Model Air 71.285, IJA Dark Green, the closest equivalent I could find to the Ammo 0083 Postwar Russian Green call out.

q3o2Msy.jpg

5lv8hC6.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve & Ian.

Starting to get more comfortable with Model Air. Strangely enough I've found the 0.4mm nozzle to offer better control than the 0.2. Stirred really well with my modified £1 Ikea coffee frother :smiling5: , straight from the bottle with a few drops of flow improver, and away we go. Actually following Vallejo's instructions of a super light initial dust coat and building up in very thin layers helps too. Who'd have thought they know the best way to apply their own paint? :smiling4:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good for you Andy.
Tis looking very neat, mind I think your paint work always does.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John, although long range photography and JPEG compression hide a multitude of sins! :smiling5:

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Paul, now to try and not mess it up with filters, washes & weathering lol

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Very nice looking paint job. I'm sure you'll do a great job of weathering.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim.

Made a start with some filters tonight. It's not something I've tried before and the effects are really subtle, but I think layering them up might produce nice results. No specific products, just thinned oil paints.

D

Deleted member 7181

Did a bit more this afternoon. Looking at some pictures it seemed the huge winch on the back was missing a vital element - a cable - so decided to have a go.

Some 0.4mm copper wire made a mounting hook, then some fine CAT5 wire was twisted for the cable itself, with a simulated thimble made by twisting the wire back on itself and flooding with CA to smooth it out.
Xr3wkDB.jpg

And with paint
6TDGAu3.jpg

Better than nothing.

Also got the decals on and a few other bits & bobs.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Paul, that's one thing I noticed at the show today. The models that turned my head were the ones with added details that held my interest and kept me looking. I can see why you guys go the extra mile as it really does make them stand out in a crowd.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Steve.

Taken this as far as I'm going to for now. It needs more weathering, especially on the wheels & tyres, but the long term plan is to include it in a dio. No point covering it in mud if I end up doing a rocky/dusty layout. Had a nightmare with the PE wipers but I'll try and hide the glue marks once I get around to dirtying it up for the scene.

I spent ages trying to get some sag into the rear tyres to account for the eventually laden trailer but it was tricky with the rubber kit items. Plenty of burnt finger ends from the boiling water! There is some, but I don't think the camera angles help.

Still some bits to add like chocks and straps/chains for the vehicle on the trailer too, but I'll include those when I start the dio blog.

sJUr1SU.jpg

88Ccldw.jpg

QmztKFJ.jpg

mMkrzgk.jpg

4aU9Rjm.jpg

Thanks for watching
Andy.