Takom 1/72 MAZ Tank Transporter

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Weather you use mud or dry dirt/rocks, you can simulate load by how deep you sink the tires into the medium in comparison with the tracks you leave behind. A thought at first cuppa. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

So simple I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it. Thanks Paul!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
When I'm planning to use a multi-wheeled (more than three) model in a dio, I always explore making the suspension flexible. Sometimes the model is easier to modify than it appears at first glance and sometimes it requires a reengineering effort. The latter you decide if the effort is worth the result as the dio envisioned may be easier to adjust than the model, as may be the case above. For future reference, second cuppa. BTW, your modeling results are pretty amazing for the short time you've been at it, IMHO. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the compliment Paul, means a lot.

I'm definitely going to have to do some suspension modifications on the other similar trucks if I follow my plan. One will sit on the trailer and OOB only 4 wheels would touch. Not very realistic!

Currently deciding whether to go the easy route of simple cutting off the axle stub and relocating the wheels slightly up or down on the hubs (it only need a mm or two either way), or go the whole hog and try to adjust the complex double wishbone and damper arrangement!

I think it will be the former :smiling5:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very nice Andy,
An awesome looking vehicle, just imagine that in 1/35 :surprised: !! Gotta agree with Paul with reference to you modelling skills and how long you’ve been building...impressive stuff:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Wow, thanks Si & Jim. I'm not sure I'm worthy of such praise but I'll take it :smiling3:

I guess I've just found something I really enjoy doing so I'm happy to pour everything I've got into it. I just wish I'd started years ago!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You and me both! It will be interesting to see once the dio has been finished how your techniques will change from vehicle to vehicle

D

Deleted member 7181

Haha, yes, 3 almost identical vehicles but (hopefully) in very different conditions.
I'm building the factory fresh one currently but already planning some extras for it like a canvas tilt, and pondering how to make it look brand new without being toy-like.

Then loads of ideas for the wreck but it's whether I've got the skills to pull them off :smiling5: