Takom's T-55 AMV

First Name
Ross
Well I find myself in a situation I haven't been in for awhile, one kit on the weathering bench, another on the painting bench and nothing on the bench :smiling5:. Already I've tripled my output from last year, going through the stash I finally decided I would build the following.

I'm going to be cheeky and show this as the sprue shots.

Looking through the box all the parts seem to be flash free and have nice detail, as you would expect.

Lots of paint schemes are provided, 6 from the Syrian civil war, 2 from Russia, 2 from Algeria, 1 from Uganda and finally an Africa Union Mission to Somalia.

I was tempted by the all white Africa Union mission one but decided on the below, you will probably hear some cursing when it comes to masking though.

cheers
Ross

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Count me in Ross

I do like a T54/55/62 - have quite a few in the stash :smiling4:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Also guilty of owning more than one t54/55 (miniart stuff)....so definitely interested in seeing how this goes together :thumb2:

First Name
Ross
Simon and Si, welcome guys, hopefully I will get some work up tomorrow.

cheers
Ross

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ross
Excellent choice. The kit has had some good reviews. Love that paint scheme. Should test your patience!
Jim

First Name
Ross
Jim, I'm guessing it will cause more than a few grey hairs.

Step 1 done.

cheers
Ross

First Name
Ross
Mick, could be famous last words mate. :smiling5:

Paul, welcome along mate.

Steps 2 and 3 done.

Next step is wheels, lots of wheels.

cheers
Ross

First Name
Ross
Okay guys I need some expert help here.

I've put the upper hull together and there is something puzzling me and I'm hoping somebody can help.

Here's what I've done.

Now this is the step I was on.

The piece that has me stumped is TP32, as you can see it doesn't quite fit and its optional according to the instructions. I'm thinking it's just a filler piece.

Here are some future steps.

Its empty here. Following steps.

Here it's filled with something and I can't find anything that fits, as you can see I thought it might be J21 but I found it further on.

As you can see J21 is used here and 2 etch plastic pieces go over this area.

I've looked at a couple of builds online and they are not much help, one minute its blank, next it's filled and no mention was made of it.

Could it be J21 but mounted horizontally instead of vertically?

Help.

cheers
Ross

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Is TP32 what you would see inside the hull if the hatch was open and J21 is the open hatch??

I am sure you will work it out soon. The build is looking very impressive

First Name
Ross
Steve, I think that is what it is.

Well I jumped forward and made the screens in Step 17, I didn't like how much they revealed of the inner workings (as there was nothing to show), so I put and scrap of evergreen over the space and painted it as I did for the other screens.

Whether it's wrong or not, I feel better about it then that half sized piece of etch.

I'm currently painting the wheels, which needed a little work to get them to fit the axles, so I can do the tracks, then I will paint everything and fit them as I work up the sides and then mask off the sides for the rest of the painting.

Now to keep you interested, I've been working on this in my spare time.

cheers
Ross

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ross,
Ref J21, this might help.
G5SPTKb.jpg
FOR DISCUSSION ONLY.
Cheers Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ross
Hope you have sorted the mystery piece. The build is looking good.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific work on the camo scheme Ross. Really looking forward to seeing this one finished. Keep up the great work mate

First Name
Ross
Paul, cheers mate.

Mike, thanks mate, yeah worked out that's where it is supposed to go but they don't say don't use it if you want that side closed and that grill behind it looks down to a vast empty gap. So I decided to use it in that position and blank off the grill's underside.

Jim, cheers mate.

Steve, thanks mate.

cheers
Ross

First Name
Ross
Progressing nicely.

Things are very crowded on the front glacis plate and Takom have done their usual trick of getting you to drill holes where nothing seems to go, so I'll have to sort them.

The unditching log was supposed to be darker but I liked the lighter colour, it probably could of gone on at the end of the build but it'll be no trouble to mask.

cheers
Ross

First Name
Wouter
Nice start on the T55 mate. These are always cool subjects. You can go crazy with weathering or even rust since these rustbuckets well...rusted a lot LOL. Looking forward to see this one unfold. (The spare time thingy - don't know what it's called - is looking good too btw)