Tamiya 1/100 Space shuttle Atlantis

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Peter this may be a stupid qeustion but in the cockpit i see intrument panles right accros the back of the cockpit now was'nt there a a hatch there for the astronauts to suit up an go through to the cargo bay ?
chris

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
see intrument panles right accros the back of the cockpit
I have just taken a quick Google and they emerge in the cargo bay via a hatch at the bottom as hatches are just behind the pilots seats to get to the deck below

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Peter this may be a stupid qeustion but in the cockpit i see intrument panles right accros the back of the cockpit now was'nt there a a hatch there for the astronauts to suit up an go through to the cargo bay ?
NASA has cutaway drawings of the Space Shuttle :smiling3:

5-5_m.jpg
5-8_m.jpg
3-9_m.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
THANKS Jakko for putting on these diogram cheers i thought the space shuttle was a brilliant craft an to put it in a museum well im discusted i would have thought they would have made a uprated shuttle as the system worked an very sorry about the people who died in the accidents
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If it works well but is more expensive than other things that work just as well, chances are it’s going to get retired …

BTW, if “might-have-been” Space Shuttles (and other real space stuff) are of interest to you, I can recommend For All Mankind.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is a really unusual and interesting subject - thanks for sharing the schematics!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The kit dates back to 1979, at which point the craft had flown only with two pilots, so maybe that’s why no other crew figures were included? Still a bit short-sighted, of course.