(Tamiya) 1/12 Ducati 916 WHIF

M

m1ks

OK, as we've been given the green for go, heres my start.

Box shot of my choice.

Initial component assembly, (subassembly), before primer

Fairing panels desprued but rest still on the sprues for ease of initial priming.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice choice.

You have been busy haven't you :laughing:

Looks like you will have time enough to do at least one more after this one. lol

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Nice Duc, been one on my to do list. I'm looking forward to this build

M

m1ks

Small update, drilled the discs and bobbins today, chrome stripped the end cans and fitted them up to the exhaust pipes to prep the seam areas.

Had hoped to get some base layers / primer on but kept getting dragged away to do dreary things like mowing the lawn and whatnot.

This may take a slow progression for a wee while (slower than usual) as a tank/AFV build on the airfix forum has started with a four week build time so i plan on attacking a DUKW shortly, (it was going to happen quickly, i thought OK that'll take me to the start of April and bike build excellent, then it kinda stalled, then the bike build started then I find it had started on Saturday but only today)

Anyway, piccies.

M

m1ks

Lots and lots of spraying, base layers, priming etc tonight, both the duc and the dukw :smiling3:

so much so my spraying hand cramped in a 'holding airbrush for spraying position' for about 10 min after i levered the airbrush out of it.

Will upload some pics tomorrow.

M

m1ks

Images of prep work.

Base coats for later work on the tank, exhausts, paddock stands and base primer in black on the other parts. Some will have other colours before top coat.

M

m1ks

Some more done on this one.

A handful of parts with a grey prep for a carbon effect, (not sure how well that'll work out)

A few sprayed in Tamiya Titanium silver and a couple of bits in Tamiya Titanium gold, both of which give a nice finish I think.

T

treyzx10r

I really like the effect you got on the brake discs,looks like the real deal.

M

m1ks

Thanks but that's only the centres sprayed, theres a little overspray but they've yet to be masked for the steel disc to be painted yet. :smiling3:

Quite a bit more to be done on all the bits yet. Not sure if the men in Varese will approve of this variant. :thumbsup:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming along nicely I see.

You comment about the Man not approving has gotten my attention.

Ian M

M

m1ks

\ said:
Coming along nicely I see. You comment about the Man not approving has gotten my attention.

Ian M
:smiling3: Update, some more paint on.

Now the AFV GB, (other forum), is out of the way I can focus on this. Having great fun with this so far.

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

Wow ! Mud Duck? Not what I was expecting thats for sure! Ca'nt wait to see some more.

B

Bunkerbarge

:groupwave: Absolutely briliant!! Now this has every ones attention!!

M

m1ks

Theres a couple of little extras to come yet once more of the assembly is done, (If I can figure out how to build them:thinking:), also a little story to accompany it once it's complete, (which hopefully it wil be on time)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wow! I can see why the man would not approve! A Duccratti desert assault bike......cool.

I think you will make it there's loads of time yet! I am assuming that the whole thing has been given the salt treatment. Either that or you have a serious lumpy paint problem.

Ian M

M

m1ks

It's that new textured Tamiya acrylic, bugger to spray through a 0.3mm nozzle :smiling5:

Yes, it's salt, cleaned off today and been drying will get pics on soon.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm liking this, it's a Desert "Rat" bike. Look forward to the rest of the build.

Have fun, John

M

m1ks

Pics of paint after clearing salt off, this is done by running under water and attacking with a clean soft brush (after paint has dried obviously), I normally leave 48 hours but did this after not quite 24 and seems OK.

Will now be able to get onto some small detail bits and begin the assembly.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's worked rather well! The motor looks totally knackered! Nice one. The way the salt has leached into the paint on the swing arm is also very effective. I am so looking forward to see where you are going with this poor old gal!

Ian M