(Tamiya) 1/12 Ducati 916 WHIF

M

m1ks

More progress, seem to not have had much time to work on this the last few days but just grabbed a few hours tonight.

Rear drive assembly, Detailing on drive chain, Engine with wash and exhausts completed and all assembled onto the frame.

Quite pleased with how this is going so far.

Also Carbon fibre timing belt covers fitted, (everythings entitled to a bit of bling) :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is looking better and better every time I look in on it! Love the finish on the exhausts. I'm sure I have had a pair like that.....

This is an excellent study in neglect, I can see its not a wreck the shiny discs and the good springs give that away but as to what it will end with I have only vague ideas!

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely briliant. What I really like though is not so much the stunning perfect finishes you have achieved on things like the swinging arm and the exhausts but more the really subtle stuff like where you have applied the wash to the rear hub. This is what nakes this such a beautiful build and makes it stand out so brilliantly.

Can't wait for the next bit!

M

m1ks

Thanks very much guys, I have to say i'm enjoying this build way more than the last few i've done, the biggest problem is I keep having these impromptu great ideas for additions and have to slap myself and tell myself to calm down before I get too carried away and end up with one of those epic neverending builds. :smiling3:

I have another 916 which I plan to present as Ducati intended at some point but i'm having so much fun with this.

I'm particularly pleased with the exhaust result and have Dr Cranky to thank for that particular one after his recent rusty car tutorial. Had a few exhausts like that myself too.

T

treyzx10r

Coming along nicely, really like the chain and swing arm with that nice shiny disc for contrast.

M

m1ks

Wee update, not had much time on this lately.

Some detailing, arrowed parts, 1,2 and 3 HT leads and scratch built ignition coils, (this is one of the more bare kits under the hood, not adding any extra but thought some nice red HT leads would look nice).

4 is the oil level window which just now needs 3/4 of oily looking stuff and a dab of Klear for the sight glass.

Last pic is the front discs, painted with Citadel but wasn't happy so have repainted in Humbrol steel, this is pre-buffing.

Have started on the front end, (not pictured yet), with fork and yokes chrome stripped and painted gold and aluminium respectively, then salted and overpainted in Nato black as per frame, (though I used sugar as we were out of fine table salt having only lumps of rock salt), in theory it should behave the same, will see how that looks once stripped

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats looking the dogs wotsits!

Now about that sugar. I hope that it dont go all sticky on you!

Ian M

M

m1ks

Update, the sugar worked OK, not as random as salt, it tends to form into a blob rather than a lump, bit too uniform.

Front end done and fitted.

Note the Carbon Fibre mudguard, to go with the carbon fibre timing belt covers, (and air intake covers yet to be fitted) :smiling3:

the discs though they don't come across well on the pics are in humbrol polished stainless metalcote and are very steel like and shiny in the flesh, with tamiya titanium gold centre and Citadel mithril silver to pick out the bobbins, (valve stems also), all the shiny bits like calipers etc will get an oil wash before completion to dull down the bling look, have brake lines and coolant hoses to add too.

Fork legs in revell enamel gold, Yokes, (triple trees to our colonial cousins), in Humbrol enamels metalcote polished aluminium and all salt (sugar) weathered with Tamiya Nato black overpainting

It's slowly getting there, don't know if i'll get the scratch built part on that I wanted but fingers crossed i'll manage to squeeze it in.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Super cool!

And its good to see that another one of the bike builds is carrying on. Been rather quite of late.

The sugar worked then. I can see what you mean by less random/jagged than the salt gives. Still very effective though.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely brilliant. Not only a testament to your modelling skills but just as much to your imagination! I agree the salt works a lot better than the sugar though.

Fantastic build and some really well done effects.

M

m1ks

Not an update as such here, though i've done a few wee bits, nothing to shout about.

However, this is only a tiny thing but i'm so pleased with it!

Check the oil level sir?

M

m1ks

Small update, nearly there now.

Clocks and idiot lights, a working steering damper too :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some very nice details going down on this M1ks!

Ian M

M

m1ks

Thankyou, it's a shame a lot of the engine and frame is hidden once it's faired but I still like the overall effect, just got to complete my scratch built part and fit it and it's ready for the catwalk :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

I think on a bike like this there may well be a good argument that the lower fairing would be left off.

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
I think on a bike like this there may well be a good argument that the lower fairing would be left off.
I agree ditch the possum scoop! Looks great Mike nice work on the dials

D

dm73

Awesome build mate, love the weathered and abused look, reminds me of my old exup streetfighter. Looking forward to the next installment