Tamiya 1/12 Yamaha YZR-M1 ‘04 (Rossi/Abe)

First Name
Lachlan
I bought this kit a couple of years back from eBay. I can’t tell if it’s rare or not as I see some for £25-30 and then some for upwards of £75. I haven’t got an airbrush or compressor, no paint, nothing. Complete beginner. What should be on my shopping list? Clear gloss for that metallic shine? Any tips/tricks? I’m quite nervy about doing this as my first, as this is definitely my favour year of the Rossi M1’s. Anyone done it before? Cheers!

Attachments

• 691646F1-C7AC-4F3E-AE95-162D6C9F57AF.jpeg
    691646F1-C7AC-4F3E-AE95-162D6C9F57AF.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 5

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
well since youre a Rossi fan (like me :thumb2: ) i wouldnt want to feck this up as my first build...its a lovely kit aparently...try something else to practice on

if you dont want to get an airbrush yet its is possible to do it all with rattle cans.....i once did a cbr400 entirely with rattle cans just to prove to myself it could be done (apart from the tail/indicator lens)....had a kit with no decals that was perfect test mule......i think you could do it with about 5 different cans.....primer, matt black, blue, steel, aluminium and clear coat.....basic but it would work.......need practice with the cans though....and its a bit cold here to do it outside and im a 160 miles south of you!

First Name
Lachlan
Thanks for the reply, beowulf!

I reckon that getting an airbrush would be the best thing to do. Unfortunately I live in a shared flat, and don’t have access to a shed or anything like that. I suppose I could get something like a box for painting in with an extractor at the back?

Is the Honda you mentioned a Tamiya kit? I may have to have a nosey on eBay...

Frost everywhere this morning, Edinburgh is gearing up for Xmas!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
big plastic storage box.......bathroom extractor fan.......tumble dryer hose on the back and out the window........something as a filter in front of the fan.......away ya go lol

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Built this a while back great build but not a first build for sure do a cheaper kit and if you can there are lots of affordable options out there, good set of brushes but big areas worth a spray, tamiya primer in a can is ideal base but i only use it if i am changing the whole colour or whites yellows stripped chrome needs a good primer or a lot of rubbing down to take the sheen of it....
Feel free to ask any question always willing to assist but remember we all do it differently untill you find the ballance that works for you

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Thanks for the reply, beowulf!

I reckon that getting an airbrush would be the best thing to do. Unfortunately I live in a shared flat, and don’t have access to a shed or anything like that. I suppose I could get something like a box for painting in with an extractor at the back?

Is the Honda you mentioned a Tamiya kit? I may have to have a nosey on eBay...

Frost everywhere this morning, Edinburgh is gearing up for Xmas!
Try wonderland there just round the corner

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Build one as above they work very well and are very affordable screwfix/b&q for the fan or gumtree fleabay couple of bits of ply and a cooker hood filter change from £20.00