• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
I assume you have a large container full of spare parts, are they all sorted ?
I recently had a mad hour and put all mine into groups, left arms , right arms etc, its great now when want to change something, no more hunting for a part.

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Come on, you know me. If I can get away with it.

John - Yes, two boxes full of spare parts - extras from kits, recycled items and stuff given to me by Richard and Ralph. I keep the heads, hands, legs, arms and boots in separate bags, but the rest is a jumble.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter

Nice job on the first figure.

My spare parts always started off organised and with the best of intentions, but seemed to get disorganised very quickly. Some sort of modelling gremlin!

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Peter. To be honest, my spares box is a mess as well - definitely a gremlin. I quite like a bit oflate night rummaging though.

The second head:

100_4795.JPG100_4796.JPG100_4797.JPG

You'll notice that this isn't the one I'd prepared above, nor the other two Reedees heads I tried, and failed to paint today. Don't know what went wrong, but I really struggled with the slightly uneven finish and tiny eyes they all exhibited.

Instead, I went for a Tamiya head, which, although not the best sculpt, was a least paintable. It's the one supplied with their machine gunner on maneuvers figure.

D

Deleted member 4539

Hi Peter.
I am going to be honest,when I first looked at this face I thought has something gone wrong?.
I have been staring at it for about 5 minutes and it is growing on me.
What I think I am seeing is the two darker shades that come from the inner corner of the two eyes seems to really stand out making it look like someone has painted two black stripes with make up.
Just ignore my comments if you want :smiling3:.
All the best.
Ralph.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Ralph

They are a bit dark and I will lighten them. The problem is that they are quite deeply etched and will give some shadow anyway. I'll look at it tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

D

Deleted member 6559

OK. Following on from the point made by Ralph, I've worked on the face some more:

100_4798.JPG100_4799.JPG100_4800.JPG

I've softened the lines under the eyes - in fact what you see now is all shadow caused by the sculpt. I guess he's got a touch of the Jon Voights:

220px-Jon_Voight_2011.jpg

On to the jacket......

D

Deleted member 4539

As Steve says Wonderful Peter :smiling3:.
I am so glad that I did not offend you with my comments and that you were prepared to make corrections.
This extra painting has made the world of difference to the face( much smoother).
I really do love your work.
All the best.
Ralph.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking great Peter. I’ll try to keep up

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Thanks. Progress impeded by granddaughter so far today.

Ralph - Comments are always welcome and I'm glad you felt able to make suggestions. Very helpful, and improved the head no end.

Lee - Thanks for looking in.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Just played catch up. Love that first figure. Had to smile at Simon's spring making suggestion. Only him, and perhaps Steve, would even think of such madness :thinking:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank Jim - Yes, the rivet-makers are quite a bunch aren't they?

I've now finished the jacket:

100_4802.JPG100_4803.JPG100_4804.JPG

Not a lot of folds to exploit so, I've tried to modulate the lighting to compensate. The insignia and decorations were mostly well defined and easy to paint except for the iron cross, where I ended up using a decal.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looking very nice, even the "flat" parts look well painted and modulated.

The weekend was grim weatherwise, so the bust is finished, just need some decent light for photos.

I also need a decent image sharing package, as I have a Chinese mobile?

Looks like a reasonable morning but stormy after lunch

Have a good day finishing the figure between the Graddading duties

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Many thanks.

Steve - Granddaughter returned to Lewes yesterday, so apart from clearing the wreckage I have a free day to paint. Pouring down here, providing a further excuse for sitting at the table. The photo you have taken looks tantalisingly good, so looking forward to seeing further images.

D

Deleted member 6559

The second figure is finished:

100_4811.JPG100_4812.JPG100_4813.JPG100_4817.JPG

I've decided not to make the two into a vignette as they don't really go that well together, pose wise.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nice Peter! Do I spy a little bit of dirt/dust in the creases on the back of the uniform??. If so it certainly fits in well with the dirt and dust on the knees and boots.

P.S I can confirm all rivets are present and correct:smiling5:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter

Another nice figure for the collection. Shame they don't go well together, initially they looks as though they would - the officer directing the soldier. However you desplay them, they look good.

Peter