Tamiya 1/16 Luftwaffe Ace

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - I wish I hadn't done that article!

Ralph - I'm hoping that one day I'll get the first one right.

Second head:

100_4828.JPG100_4831.JPG

Infinitely better I think. I find these Reedees heads very difficult to paint, but a bit of persistence usually results in something that looks reasonably human. I like the fact that this one is looking slightly skyward, something that happened by pure accident.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I appreciate your desire to improve and push your own boundaries. However there are others of a lesser talent who would pay good money for your rejects. Could be a way of generating extra money for this ever more expensive hobby.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Thanks, I'm much happier with this one.

Steve - The reality is very different from what you see on the screen; my camera's kind to my work. Also, they've either rejected because they're either poorly painted or bad sculpts.

D

Deleted member 6559

100_4833.JPG

Just counted them - there are 141 in there. Why can't I ever find one suitable for the job in hand?

P.S. Just found another fifteen.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen

Morning Peter

Madame La Guillotine would be very envious LOL

He looks very executive for a Luftwaffe pilot, very clean cut and smart.

Today should be a wild palette of colour with the life preserver after all the field grey

Hopefully a good day for your painting, still grey and miserable here!

My day off today, perhaps building rather than photography?

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I've also got separate bags full of hands, legs, arms, boots and headgear - a real cannibal butcher's shop.

The life jacket will be Vallejo Buff, which is quite a thin colour and takes a few coats to get opaque, but should be OK.

Sunshine and showers here, and cold. Ideal painting weather.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Scottie. I always used to avoid subjects with life jackets because of the yellow - Vallejo Buff is the answer.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
More great work Peter, I thought the first head looked good but can definitely agree with you choosing this one instead.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

The life jacket is superb, whites and lights are just so good when right but so easy to over cook,

Perfect receipe Peter.

Awful day yesterday, finished with a knee injection!

Looks like more of the same today and for the next few days too and work tomorrow!

Saturday working every 5 weeks come round so quickly!

Fathers day this weekend, perhaps the one day in the year when you might just get to do what you would like?

Ha, not a chance!

Have a good day with the uniform

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Sorry to hear about the knee - does damp weather affect it? Bit crook myself with a virus on top of hayfever/sinus trouble, hence slower painting. Working on Saturday is a bind. I once took a job managing a shop in Covent Garden only to realise later that I'd been contracted to work six days a week - end of social life till I got out.

I'm quite pleased with the life jacket. When I first painted a version of this I spent a very long time building up layer after layer of bright yellow, only to have it criticised as the wrong colour, which it was. More caution this time.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Head 2 looks great as does the jacket. In Red Dwarf Kryton was always on about his spare head collection - perhaps he got the idea from you!!
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Just the boots and extras to do now:

100_4845.JPG

Not sure if I'll use the binoculars. The cap will be held in his hands behind his back, and I've made a bandolier of flare cartridges to wrap around his right boot. I've also given him a Dragon flare pistol holster which I've made a couple of corrections to. I will perhaps tuck the map somewhere about his person.