Tamiya 1/16 Luftwaffe Ace

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_9375.JPG

Another one I've done numerous times, but I still haven't made a version fit for the cabinet.

It's a simple figure, the parts being contained on one sprue:

100_9376.JPG

There are two heads provided, one depicting Adolf Galland, and both are pretty awful, which is a shame, as the sculpting of the figure is excellent. They'll be swapped for a spare. Construction was pretty straightforward, with an almost perfect fit:

100_9377.JPG

The lengthening days have allowed me to make a start on the painting:

100_9379.JPG

This is a Reedees head which needed the top slicing off and the neck adjusting to fit the collar - I had to do a bit of filling at the join, hence my attaching it before painting. I'm finding 1/16 heads very hard to do at the moment, I think because working on larger scale busts recently has lead me to expect more of my abilities than I can deliver at the smaller scale. I keep needing to remind myself that full figures are more about the whole, with less emphasis on the face.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Good luck Peter. I know this one has been a challenge for you over the years. Hopefully this will be the one

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Head looks good on this one...you’ll nail it this time Peter!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
I have faith in your abilities to turn this into another masterpiece.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I feel that this time around it will be worthy of the cabinet. Face looks good.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for looking in chaps. I actually feel quite relaxed about this one, so it has a good chance of getting finished at least.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
At least you seem confident so that's a good sign Peter .

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

I am surprised to hear that there isn't just one of the Luftwaffe officer in the cabinet yet?

Perhaps this is the one!

Nice head too, he does look smug, must be the day before the BoB started, and they met the RAF in full force for the first time.

Looks like a better day ahead, with the next storm in the Atlantic waiting to arrive!

Have a good day with the paints.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - I'm trying to be relaxed about it (!).

Steve - You may remember that my first article for a now defunct modelling magazine featured a version of this figure. Unfortunately the photos were all printed at twice life-size so that every flaw showed up in detail. It looked terrible. As a result, I've had a thing about trying to get this one absolutely right.

A bright and sunny start here now that the storm has passed. Hope you're busy in the home office and that there aren't too many distractions.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Andrew
Very nice Peter! I was looking at your magazine article the other day and can see how much you’ve improved even from then.
Andy

D

Deleted member 6559

Andy O - Thank you.

Andy B - Please put the magazine away! I've just had a look myself and I still cringe at the size of the photos. They obviously did it to stretch the article over four pages, but it was never meant to be seen at that scale. Glad you can see some improvement at least.

First Name
Andrew
Don’t worry Peter. I understand how you feel about photos which are too large - a pet hate of mine. They enlarge all the details which bug us so much. Your figure, taken in as a whole, is much better than you realise because you can’t see beyond the ‘flaws’ which bug you. He was a good figure my friend! The magazine is back on my shelf. I scanned my own article in the same magazine to add to my website which I’ve been working on while I wait for my book proof.
Andy

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good so far Peter.

Now what's this about a magazine article?

ATB.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 6559

Andy - That's one of the biggest challenges with this game - seeing beyond the faults.

Andrew - Thank you. I did a couple of articles for a now defunct modelling magazine (that we don't mention), as did a few other members of this forum.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looks really good so far.

The contrasting colour of the life vest and the tunic is always a good start.

As for old magazine articles they are all in the attic collecting dust and spiders webs, just where they should be.

Life and modelling is all about getting better and sharpening your skills for the next project.

As a proud owner of 7 original pieces of your work, I have no complaints at all.

Its another frosty start today at -2C but clear skies so some good light for the trousers!

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

I forgot that you have some of my busts - bet I'd wince if I saw them. As you say, it's about striving to improve, and it's probably only best to visit old projects with a view of seeing if you've made progress. My magazines are also gathering dust. I was lucky enough to also have quite a bit of my work reproduced in the 'reader's wives' section, so I felt I should keep them.

Frosty here too and possibly snow tomorrow. I reckon another two days on this figure.