Tamiya 1/16 RC Panther (resumed after a long hiatus)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Paul

I'm speechless, quite simply speechless! This is going to look amazing once finished.

Very well done Indeed!!

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Paul

As well as the 1 16 StuG (YYYYIIIPPPEEE) Trumpeter are also doing a Pz 111 M!

Bob
Bob from what I gather trumpy are brining out a 1/16 stug youll certainly get better now as you got to build this but is it a workin model like pauls ?
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Are they, news too me:thinking:

No, but should have a full interior, the other 1 16 do

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Oh yes Chris thats my 60 birthday pressie sorted ;)

• Love
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I’ve been back at work for a fortnight now which has drastically cut bench time. Hope to have a small update this weekend when I’ll be looking at hull fit issues.
Speak soon
Paul
OK Paul
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hull fit solutions...

I mentioned previously that there were some fit issues between the upper and lower hull. The upper hull is a very big piece of plastic and is prone to warp because of its size. This causes the two upper hull sides to flex outward as the upper hull relaxes and results in a gap between the hull sides and the rear hull.

Sloppy_Hull_Fit.jpg

Ordinarily I'd simply glue the hull side to the rear hull - job done. But in this case, because the upper hull needs to be removable for repairs to the RC etc, I had to come up with another solution...

I decided to use small magnets and scratch build some brackets from spare parts. I had some left over spare wheels and exhausts that would fit the bill nicely...

Parts_Used.jpg

The magnets fit exactly into the wheel axel tubes. These were removed from the wheels and one placed on the hull side with the other mounts onto the bracket modified from the spare exhausts.
Here are the parts prepped...
Parts_Cut.jpg

Here are the magnets in place. First the rear hull...
Inner_Magnet_Fitted.jpg

And the hull sides (apologies for the camera shake)...
Hull_Side_Magnet.jpg

And finally, the completed fully-fitted hull. No gaps and, importantly, the hull remains removable.
Fitted_Upper_Hull.jpg

This is a small but important update as this completes the 'business end' of this build. From here on in it's all about adding detail and finishing.
The next episode involves fitting the fenders and rear stowage bins. I am now back at work (and have been for the past 3 weeks) so bench time has been considerably restricted. This 'slow build' just got slower!
I have some holiday in June hopefully I can get the Panther finished and move on to the figures.

Till next time...
Paul

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Paul well I just love your idea of the magnets as its SNAP as I have bought a load of magnets to fit in tiger to hold down the deck so its great minds think alike an this tank is gonna be awesome when its done an I bet you will have it out on an assult course watchin it go over the obtickles an havin great fun like I did with both my tigers great stuff
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
HI Paul well I just love your idea of the magnets as its SNAP as I have bought a load of magnets to fit in tiger to hold down the deck so its great minds think alike an this tank is gonna be awesome when its done an I bet you will have it out on an assult course watchin it go over the obtickles an havin great fun like I did with both my tigers great stuff
chris
Hi Chris
Yeah, a stock of mini magnets is always useful. I used them on my Eagle Transporter too. Very useful little items.
Cheers
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
Yeah, a stock of mini magnets is always useful. I used them on my Eagle Transporter too. Very useful little items.
Cheers
Paul
HI Paul any chance of seein a pic of your Eagle Transporter ? an the scale ?
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Paul what happening on the panzer ? as ive been wondering
chris