Tamiya 1/16 RC Panther (resumed after a long hiatus)

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
again Paul whats happening ?
Sorry Chris I missed these posts, been busy with work and other stuff.
The build hasn’t moved forward any, but I am hoping to put a fair few hours into the Panther today. Nothing is wrong, just been very busy.
Hopefully I can post progress tonight.

Thanks
P

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Sorry Chris I missed these posts, been busy with work and other stuff.
The build hasn’t moved forward any but I am hoping to put a fair few hours into the Panther today. Nothing is wrong just been very busy.
Hopefully I can post progress tonight.

Thanks
P
HI Paul lets hope so as im lookin forward to more of this great stuff this tank build is as its R/C love it
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Panther detailing update...

Here's a quick update of where the Panther is at the moment.
I've managed to secure the fenders to the hull (which turned into a major undertaking). Some minor repairs to the Zimm were necessary after this but nothing too drastic.
Also seen in this shot is the right-hand tool stowage racks and jack block holder. All of these items are yet to be glued in place.

Front_Details.jpg

I also applied Zimmerit to the rear stowage bins and set about damaging the right-hand bin in line with my references.
Note: the Zimm isn't quite finished on the left- hand bin.
Also, seen in this shot is the tool stowage rack and the gun cleaning rod tube. Again, these are not glued in place yet.

Rear_Detail.jpg

A closer shot of the damaged stowage bin...
Stowage_Bin_Detail.jpg

And finally a shot of the gun crutch which has been glued in place.
You may remember that this required repair as some of the links came apart. This was sorted before fixing.
Gun_Crutch_Detail.jpg
Another small addition is the mesh screens to the radiator grills (just seen in the background).

I'm trying my best to finish this before July (as I'd like to take part in the BoB Group build). That said, I don't want to rush this build. I've invested way too many hours already to fall on the home straight!

Hope you like the progress.
Cheers
P

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Chris/Paul
The plan is to have this complete by the end of the month. I will need to get my head down though as there’s still a great deal of work yet to be done on the Panther. I’ll try where possible to update the thread as I go along and hopefully I’ll catch all the major progress points.
Thanks again guys for the support it’s much appreciated.

Cheers
P)

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Panther hull details

Hi everyone
This post is very picture heavy as I wanted to explain the detail that has been added specific to Panther 135 (12SS Hitler Jugend).
I'm doing a sort of walk round starting with the left-hand side.

Here's a view of the complete left-hand side of the hull.

LHS_hull.jpg

P.E. detail was added to the Bosch headlight and electrical wire and conduit made from styrene and lead wire.

Bosch_headlight+zimm_fenders.jpg

The left-hand tool rack has been mounted and the Zimmerit tidied up around it.

Left_hand_tool_rack.jpg

The tube for the gun-cleaning rods was attached. I had to move it slightly forward as it was fouling on the spare tracks. As a consequence the Zimmerit required localised repair.

Gun_cleaning_rod_tube.jpg

The track hangers complete with retainers and chains. Note also the cable retainers on the rear of the deck also with retainers and chains.
You can just make out the weld seams have been added to the lifting hooks.

Track_Hangers+Cable_Mount.jpg

The Zimmerit has been completed on the lower hull. Also, in the course of my research I discovered that this 'Initial' panther from the MAN factory should have Zimmerit applied to the fenders as well.

Hull_front.jpg

A shot of the complete right-hand side of the hull.
RHS_hull.jpg

Here's a shot of the right-hand tool rack. The tools themselves will be completed later. I intend to make the shovel handle and jack block out of real wood. Just visible on the deck is the weld seams for the periscope cover.

Tool_rack_RHS.jpg

This shot shows the track tensioning cable holder. Again, the orientation of this (horizontal) was a late discovery during my research and is typical of 'Initial' type Panthers from the MAN factory.
As there are no photographs of the left hand side of Panther 135 I hadn't noticed this detail. The Zimmerit again required localised repair.

Tool_racks_RHS.jpg

Left-hand track hangers complete with retainers and chains.

Track_hangers_RHS.jpg

A shot of the rear of the hull showing the positioning of the jack and mount.

Jack_Mount.jpg

Finally, a shot of the exhausts which have yet to be mounted but have their detail completed. The early box type Notek convoy light is not a field mod, as I previously thought. This was standard issue on 'Initial' Panther Gs and was mounted as shown.

Exhaust_details.jpg

I've recently managed to sort my library of reference books and this has helped me enormously in sorting out the finer details of this particular tank.I even know the chassis number now - Nr. 120404. Panther 135 1./12SS-Pz Rgt.12 is the 104th series production Ausf G and was completed by MAN on or around 30th April. It's short operational history ended during the night attack on the Canadians 8/9th June 1944 at Bretteville-L'Orgueilleuse in Normandy.

With these details complete the next step will be to prime everything. After that I’l go over everything, identify any spots that need attention, sort them out, and then it will be on to the painting (my favourite part). This model should then be looking more like a Normandy Panther and the final finishing touches can be added.

I know this is slow progress but I hope you like it and it's still of interest.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers guys, your support is much appreciated (as always).
Thanks
P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Had a nice catch up on this masterpiece Paul. Great to see some damage on the zim. Very realistic. Keep up the great work
Thanks Steve.
The Zimm repaired in the latest shots won't be visible in the final model (hopefully) as it's not really intentional. I've had to do the odd bit of repair because I moved a couple of the tool brackets from their original positions. This came about because I was finally able to unbox my reference books (I moved house) and access my Panther references. After a quick check it was obvious I'd made some wrong assumptions about the location/orientation of some items.
I'm glad you like the progress. Fingers crossed, I'm hoping to finish in a week or so.

Thanks again
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Paul just been lookin through your build an i really enjoyed it but i was wondering what make of TX have you got ? an how many channels ? an is it the 2.4 GIG or the 4O MEG HERZTS ? as im still thinkin WHAT TX to buy for my tiger as i know its gonna have to be about a 6 to a 8 channel TX so i have enough channels for the things i want workin on tiger SO Paul any chance of a pic of your TX ?
Chrisb

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
HI Paul just been lookin through your build an i really enjoyed it but i was wondering what make of TX have you got ? an how many channels ? an is it the 2.4 GIG or the 4O MEG HERZTS ? as im still thinkin WHAT TX to buy for my tiger as i know its gonna have to be about a 6 to a 8 channel TX so i have enough channels for the things i want workin on tiger SO Paul any chance of a pic of your TX ?
Chrisb

Here's a pic of the transmitter...

TX.jpg

It's a 4 channel Futaba Skysport T4YF. Tanks aren't that complicated Chris - backward/forward, left/right, turret rotation, gun elevation and trims for main gun and MG. That's it!
35Mhz

Cheers
P

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Here's a pic of the transmitter...

View attachment 393329

It's a 4 channel Futaba Skysport T4YF. Tanks aren't that complicated Chris - backward/forward, left/right, turret rotation, gun elevation and trims for main gun and MG. That's it!
35Mhz

Cheers
P
HI Paul yes i like your T/X should do the job nicely to controll the biggun its very simalar to my T/X but mine a skysport 6 channel 40 meg as i need at least that amount of channels on tiger but im thinkin of gettin about an 8 channel T/X 2 .4 gig if POSSIBLE as i need a rotary knob so i can work several things from one channel but will see on th cost anyway more pics please with his turret on an hope you are well
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
HI Paul yes i like your T/X should do the job nicely to controll the biggun its very simalar to my T/X but mine a skysport 6 channel 40 meg as i need at least that amount of channels on tiger but im thinkin of gettin about an 8 channel T/X 2 .4 gig if POSSIBLE as i need a rotary knob so i can work several things from one channel but will see on th cost anyway more pics please with his turret on an hope you are well
chris
Hi Chris
An 8 channel transmitter would seem a wise investment given the number of gizmos packed into Tiger.
I should have an update on the Panther at the end of the week. I’m hoping it’s another milestone moment!
Cheers
P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Another corner turned...

Hi everyone
Here's a quick update on the RC Panther. Finally the whole tank is in one piece and has it's base coat of Dunkelgelb applied.
The tank is obviously still a long way from completion but this is a significant milestone, from here on the build becomes a lot more straight forward. The next steps will be to apply the camouflage, turret numbers and national crosses (to the forward upper hull). Then the tools and tow cables will be added, and finally several stages of weathering. Hope you like the progress.
Cheers
Paul

Complete_Base_Coat_Assembly04.jpg
Complete_Base_Coat_Assembly03.jpg
Complete_Base_Coat_Assembly02.jpg

Complete_Base_Coat_Assembly01.jpg

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Paul he looks great with his turret an main gun on an is there a M/G mounted on the turret top cupla ? an does the turret revole ok from the R/C as on on of my smaller tiger that was remote controll with wires an controll box the turret used to stick abit as the gearrin was not a 100% an i use to get damm annoyed at it but it was still great fun drivein it over my obsticle course but back to your panzer its lookin very realistic an you will have fun doin all the camo on him i bet an all the wheatherin as thats what im crap at never could get it to look right i suppoce i should have invested in a A/B but to late now as time is my enamy but im lookin forward to seein you do this big guy an does everything work ok ?
all best
chris

Last edited: