Tamiya 1/20 Martini Lotus 79 Finnished

R

Richy C

Martini Lotus 79 , this car was driven by Carlos Reutemann in the USA at the Watkins Glen GP on the 7th October 1979 , I`ve done the qualifying spec car which was in dry conditions , in the race it was raining and I don`t have wet weather tyres of this era , for the race Reutemann qualified 6th but spun out on lap 6 Mario Andretti in the sister car retired on lap 17 with gearbox problems , a bad day for Lotus and a long way from home , the race was won by Gilles Villeneuve in a Ferrari.

Straight foward build , being tamiya and a new tooling it was superb it was detailed very crisp with no flash at all , I had a Studio27 pe kit but only used a few bits as the detail on the tamiya kit was fine .

Materials used - Indycal decals , various Studio27 pe bits , Hiro pe harness set , Halfords grey primer , various Tamiya and Vallejo paints , Alclad polished ali - chrome - gloss black base coat , Mig dark wash , Zero Martini racing green , Zero pre-thinned clear coat , Humbrol liquid cement and Loctite easy brush super glue.

Richy

View attachment 49560View attachment 49561View attachment 49562View attachment 49563

View attachment 52302

View attachment 52303

View attachment 52304

View attachment 52305

072.jpg

094.jpg

074.jpg

086.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks fantastic and has transported me back to a time when I had more than a passing interest in F1.

The names in your post alone,Reutemann,Andretti and of course the late,great,Gilles Villeneuve. It seems like yesterday.

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job richy , great paint. Come on then , lets have a JPS lotus next (76/77/78/79 ,whatever , they all looked so cool!!) cheers tony

P

Polux

Wowww!!! Fantastic model!!!

When I was young I play with...how to say...electric cars in a close track, in spain was called "scalextric". Hours and hours playing with my friends!!!

This model was one of my favourites then.

Cheers. Polux

C

CDW

It's called Scalextric here too Polux, i was a big fan of it, still got about 800 feet of track in the loft and some of the older cars, including the stock cars that used to be able to go in either direction:smiling3:

Anyway Richard, meant to ask but age and memory get the better of me:smiling3:

Did you finish the 25 ? if so can we have a thread?

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Oh nooooo Richard, you've been to Goodwood to take them photos lol. Cracking build of a beautiful car mate, love the lettering on the tyres. Don't you just love PE stencils, big five matey.

Have fun, John

R

Richy C

Thanks guys , the 25 is on hold at the moment Colin needed a change so starting a tin top race car , what stencils John I airbrushed them free hand LOL only joking , the stencils are great mate and in my eyes give a more realistic look ,

Cheers

Richy

S

Stalag Luft III

Hi Richy

fantastic model - looks superb - how did you get the finish on the tyres ?

When my workload etc has calmed down a bit I will be getting back into model making after many years away, I spent many years working for Williams so have a little bit of knowledge of F1. When you mentioned about the wet weather tyres that got me thinking - I am in the cad/cam game and a friend of mine has a 3d printer, I might have a go at modelling some wet tyres on my cad software at home and get them printed, could even represent the track flat ! the beauty of this cad stuff is once you have modelled it you can replicate it into any scale at the press of a button.

ttfn

Christian

R

Richy C

Cheers Christian , tyres were given the scrubbed look using sand paper and the logo`s were airbrushed with a tyre stencil , if your looking to get back into model making I recommend the tamiya Ferrari F189 - makes a nice model and not to difficult and you can pick them up cheap would be a nice kit to ease your way back in to the hobby,

anything you need to know just ask its a great forum , as for cad/cam its well out of my league when it comes to computers I`m a numpty , what did you do at Williams .

I`ve added a few photos of the 79 without bodywork .

Cheers

Richy

View attachment 56022View attachment 56023

View attachment 58142

View attachment 58143

lotus 79-2 004.jpg

lotus 79-2 012.jpg