Tamiya 1/24 ASTON MARTIN DBS mini blog

R

Richy C

Hi guys , I know most people prefer military stuff on here , but for a change I thought I would do a mini blog on the new tamiya Aston Martin DBS , as much as I love WW2 models I also have a passion for motorsport models even though its not a racer its a lovely looking machine

I just hope I can do it justice - kit looks good no flash as expected from a new tamiya kit , a nice little bit of PE , but no british number plate decals which is a shame , window masks which is nice , overall it looks a very good kit , now for a few photos

Hope you approve guys

cheers

Richy

View attachment 15730View attachment 15728View attachment 15725

View attachment 15726View attachment 15727View attachment 15729

View attachment 23947

View attachment 23948

View attachment 23949

View attachment 23950

View attachment 23951

View attachment 23952

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

R

Richy C

Quick update , all washed and primmed , the wheels and front grill are going to be metalic graphite grey instead of the plastic chrome tamiya give you ( never liked the chrome plastic stuff on a finnished model ) , after checking they make the DBS in this colour I`m going for Aston Martin metalic british racing green hence the metalic grey finnish to the rims and grill , there are so many colours to chose from I opted for this colour , being a racing fanatic I love it.

I plan to airbrush as much as possible on this build to try and give a nice finnish to all parts , and unlike a lot of military builds you have to pre-paint everything before you put it together

I`m going to use Zero paints and Zero clearcoat for the bodywork then finnish it with a Zero 3 pack polish - course - medium & fine , I`ve not used it yet but the polish is meant to be the DB`s

a few photo`s

Go for it plasticbasher its a seems a very nice kit mate

Cheers

Richy

View attachment 15734View attachment 15735View attachment 15736

View attachment 23956

View attachment 23957

View attachment 23958

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

dbs_amrg_08.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi richy , looks a great kit, this is going to look fantastic when its done, cant wait. cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wow Richy, this build promises to be fantastic. the Zero paint finish sounds amazing probably a better finish than some 1:1 cars get!!!!

Cheers

Paul

M

m1ks

I'll be following this, I love motorbike and car kits, i'm with you on the plastichrome, I just don't like it full stop, even on larger scales like many motorbikes. Did you strip it first before priming and how if so?

Have to say i'm not keen on that green in the pic, that looks far too pale to be BRG as well. Racing Astons often use a darker green which is (i think) far nicer.

Are the Zero paints Lacquer based? i've not come across them before.

R

Richy C

Hi m1ks , thankyou for the interest , can`t agree with you on the aston BRG colour see photos below , if your into race car and race bike kits try Hiroboy.com its a great site , thats where motorsport kit makers from all over the world get their paint because its the nearest stuff you can get to the real colour , yes mate they are lacquered based but they dry matt then they need a top coat I use the zero top coat but you can use all different stuff , once you have had a look at the Hiroboy website you will be hooked mate

cheers

Richy

View attachment 15743View attachment 15742

View attachment 23964

View attachment 23965

zero-dbr9c.jpg

zp-1001aston.jpg

R

Richy C

Thanks Tony and Paul , I will give it my best shot , will post a few photos as I progress

Richy

F

Fenlander

How could anyone disapprove? The forum is called Scale Models, not military scale models. Just waiting for my first Tamiya Bike to come through so I will be following this re the painting as well as the fact that it will be a great build. Nice one Richy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was dribbling over the pictures of this very kit yesterday. T'is a very nice car.

Now about this green. I can agree 100% that the colour you have gotten hold of is the Aston Green. British Racing....nope! Way to light! BRG is nearer Brunswick green as a good visual referance.

I'm not saying the car will look wronge, just that its not going to be BRG. (Who had the idea to produce Metalic BRG? Shame on them.)

Looking forwards to seeing the finished job.

EDIT; BRG has had a lot of changes since its beginings. When I hear BRG I always think of the traditional BRG. It has been represented as BRG in several shades. All of which can be correct. WHEN used on the correct car. If you want the whys and whens, you can find them here. British racing green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ian M (trying not to tread on to many toes)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

Nope, I think that no matter what peoples memories of BRG is, I well remember the darker one, this is the correct colour for this car and I have to say it looks gorgeous. Really looking forward to seeing how it sprays.

R

Richy C

I`ve also been on Wikipedia Ian and there are many BRG`s I agree , I`m a massive racing fan my old man used to race a single seater F3 lotus in the late 50`s early 60`s which ran the dark ( brunswick ) BRG , but I can only go by modern colours of today for which I`ve choosen for my DBS , Zero airbrush paints are the best and nearest colours you can get for any cars of any period without question , the green I have is correct for the modern day Aston Martin Race car , so I`m happy .

Richy

R

Richy C

Hi Graham , I hope you share your bike build when you get it , to get back into car building I`m doing a F1 Ferrari 310B that I got cheap from eBay , as above its mostly painting before putting together also I`m finding I`m using tamiya acrylics a lot more - lots of blacks and metalics tried my vallejo`s metalics but colours don`t look right , its a big difference to making something military not better or worse you just have to take a different approach

Richy

View attachment 15744

View attachment 23966

IMG_3402.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Richard: Understand you fully, its just not that colour that springs to mind when I think BRG. T'was not my intention to say that you have picked the wronge colour. Just not what I envisage as BRG.

Now about those Zero paints: Any chance of a reveiw?

F

Fenlander

Although I have never tried Alclad metalics, for the bike build(s) more if I get this right, I will be looking at them for the very focal engines and exhaust systems. One of the characteristics of modern superbikes is the 'blueing' of the exhausts and I believe the alclad range cover this very well. I personally do not like Tamiya metallic. For basic metallic, aluminium, steel and gunmetal (light) I use Games Workshop Citadel paints, Mithril Silver, Chain mail and Boltgun Metal respectively.

I know that bike building is going to be a completely different discipline to military stuff, that is one of the reasons I have decided to do it. But, like cars, they are very much finished as in paintwork before they get assembled. Thanks for the tip on Zero paints, just been on there to see if they do the Ducati red I need and they do.

I will indeed be sharing it on here as I believe it is important to offer as much variety as possible, it creates interest and inspiration. Still worried about getting the fairings with a good finish though, not much room for getting it wrong is there?

I think this is going to be interesting.

R

Richy C

Hi Ian , sorry if my reply sounded a bit abrupt was not intended that way by any means mate , as for Zero paints go on www.heroboy.com then follow the link to paints then pre-matched paints If your interested in anything motorsport I think you will be impressed

Could not agree more about the alclad gear Graham I`ve heard great stuff about them they are on my to get list the only thing that stopped me getting them sooner is the price of them , as for your bike I think your take to it like a duck to water , the bodywork finnish is criticle to a good car/bike model as you know, just take your time , I`ve ordered some zero polish and from what I`ve heard it gives an amazing finnish but I will reserve judgement untill I used it on the DBS if its any good I will let you know

Cheers guys

Richy

R

Richy C

LOL , Ian don`t follow my link it sends you to a kebab shop LOL it should be www.hiroboy.com , sorry mate

I can`t stop laughing

Richy

P

Plastickitbasher

Having used the BRG from Hiroboy on the Tamiya racing Mini I was very happy with the shade so I used the same on the Coventry Climax Lotus 25. Also guys don't forget that 99% of photo's seen on the web these days have at some stage been photoshoped!!!

This shade should look the DB's! on this DBS

To strip the over bright chrome finish I used bicarb and warm water it takes a while but it does all come off.

Richy

Are you going to paint the interior or are you going to go for the leather look stick on stuff from Hiroboy?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
LOL , Ian don`t follow my link it sends you to a kebab shop LOL it should be www.hiroboy.com , sorry mate I can`t stop laughing

Richy
Very dissapointed there, they said that they wont deliver to Denmark! Said some thing about the food being cold by the time it arrives!!! Hmmmmmm Shwama... Nah!

Will have a look at the other link.

Ian M

R

Richy C

Hi plastickitbasher , I`m going to airbrush the interior , I`ve seen the leather stuff on hiroboy but don`t think my upholstery skills would be up to the task

Hi Ian , I nearly fell off the sofa when I went to that link , at first I thought my computer had been highjacked then saw my spelling error

cheers

Richy