Tamiya 1/24 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII WRC

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning guys. :smiling3:

I did a little bit over the weekend. All of the remaining parts were primed and the body was given a clear coat in preparation for decals. I started these last night and got a few of the big ones down.

The decals laid down nicely and seem to have conformed well, although typically for Tamiya they are a little thick.

PXL_20210301_003034171.jpgPXL_20210301_003113552.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning guys. :smiling3:

I did a little bit over the weekend. All of the remaining parts were primed and the body was given a clear coat in preparation for decals. I started these last night and got a few of the big ones down.

The decals laid down nicely and seem to have conformed well, although typically for Tamiya they are a little thick.

View attachment 415361View attachment 415362
Looking good Bob. I have one car in the stash but not having built one in around 40 years I'm still holding off....

Keep up the good work.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob, you made a great job of the paintwork, and it's so tidy :cool::thumb2:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening all. :smiling3:

I've spent this week getting the rest of the parts cleaned up and painted. Still got a little bit of detail painting to finish up and the seat belts to make, but other than that the interiors ready to go in.

PXL_20210306_163920107.jpg

I also got the decals on and the clear coat down. This mostly went ok, but I'm going to let it cure for a few days then flat back and polish.

PXL_20210306_164017277.jpgPXL_20210306_164031159.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
looking good

got to ask cos its something i always struggle with........with what or how are you going to do the black bits on the door tops/windscreen seal/roof channel seals?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Paul. :smiling3:

I'll be masking and spraying. I have some 0.7mm Aizu tape for exactly this purpose. I'll try and remember to take some pics of this step, though that will be after the flatting and polishing.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
seat belts are first class!

which make are they?

First Name
Carl
Evening chaps. :smiling3:

Busy afternoon today. First up was seatbelts which although simple looking took about 3 hours.
View attachment 415998
View attachment 415995

After that it was just a little detail painting, then sticking bits on until I had a rolling chassis

View attachment 415994View attachment 415993View attachment 415992View attachment 415991View attachment 415990View attachment 415989View attachment 415988View attachment 415987View attachment 415986
Looks a nice build. I have an Evo 4 in my stash to build for my brother in law as he owned one some years back. He rebuilt pretty much the whole car and then had Norris designs do the tuning on the engihe. I think it was putting out around 600bhp which back then was insane. I drive it a few times and it used to make you go light headed under acceleration. Only problem was it also like to sheer prop shafts from the torque and load of four wheel drive system.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning guys :smiling3:

I spent several hours on the glass frames last night. This was mostly spent polishing the body and putting the masking on, followed by a few minutes of painting and unmasking.

First up was using 0.7mm Aizu tape around all of the sections to be painted. The beauty of this thin tape is it conforms nicely around curves and is really easy to work with.

1.jpg

This is then backed up with a 2.5mm tape.

2.jpg

And then a wider (10mm?) tape.

3.jpg

Before finally covering the rest with cling film. You could of course just use more tape but this is less wasteful.

4.jpg

The a quick blast with NATO black.

5.jpg

Leaving this.

6.jpg7.jpg

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Morning Bob sorry to admit I only drifted here after reading Andys query. Not my bag as they say ,I wonder how many other members looked at the heading title and skipped on to something that rang their bell hands up its probably what I did without even thinking about it ,well like me they missed out on a very informative and interesting little blog ive certainly taken a few things away with me. Always interesting how you chaps go through all the little sub assembly's my pet hate ,I love spgs loads in the stash look at them then either fear or laziness kicks in all the fighting compartment to build and paint before one even gets started ,aircraft their in the stash as well all that cockpit palaver dont seem to be able to grasp its all part of the build ,my last aircraft build probably came from woolies airfix under two shillings with the folded paper header stapled over the plastic bag (about 8 or 9 new pennies). A great build Bob made even better by seeing you use the same brand takeaway carton a indispensable piece of modeling kit although I have been asked very politely? To stop washing them out as the cupboards are full. Job well done as I said I've left with a few thoughts so many thanks Dave.