Tamiya 1:32 F-14

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris,

Not sure how as I uploaded as full image, not thumbnails? Am I going wrong somewhere?

James
James when you upload the pics it shows two pics one sayin thumbnails an one sayin full size just click on the full size an up the full size pic will come
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
With the exception of the OOTB photos that's what I have done? Do the cock pit photos not show as full size?
HI James yes they now show full size now i can see them proper many thanks as ive got a big 1/32 super tomcat to build when ive finished my tiger build an i will be following your tomcat build as it was one of my fav aircraft an loved topgun apart from the lovey dovey bits but the flying shots were brillant an i also loved the tomcats in the jolly rogers colours in the film the final countdown brilliant film ive watched it about 10 times ps an whats this Aires cockpit set will be used as well. is this better than the one supplyied in my trumpy kit ? pps from what i can see in the tiny pics your vulcan gun emplacement is covered over which is a shame as on my trumpy kit its all open so ive bought a metall vulcan gun set from ekuard sorry spelt wrong
chris

Last edited:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
The Aires cockpit set seems very good to me. There's a few tiny bits of PE that I haven't used as I don't see worth it. The only thing I am going to do further is create the HUD.

I haven't really looked at the kit as I have spent all my time so far in the cockpit but will have a dig. I will need after market decals as it's so old the original ones ain't great no more! Haven't got any yet though, will wait till I'm further along. It's going to be a grey one anyway.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The Aires cockpit set seems very good to me. There's a few tiny bits of PE that I haven't used as I don't see worth it. The only thing I am going to do further is create the HUD.

I haven't really looked at the kit as I have spent all my time so far in the cockpit but will have a dig. I will need after market decals as it's so old the original ones ain't great no more! Haven't got any yet though, will wait till I'm further along. It's going to be a grey one anyway.
HI again James could you put a link to this Aires cockpit set please as id like to have a look at it an i gather you are goin to be doin her in low vis then pity as i love the high vis ones as when i do build mine im goin for the jolly rogers sqr n high vis
chris

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
HI again James could you put a link to this Aires cockpit set please as id like to have a look at it an i gather you are goin to be doin her in low vis then pity as i love the high vis ones as when i do build mine im goin for the jolly rogers sqr n high vis
chris

Chris,

I got 8t from eBay, screen shot attached but think I paid under £30 for it. The pics on eBay aren't great, do you want some more close up pics?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,

I got 8t from eBay, screen shot attached but think I paid under £30 for it. The pics on eBay aren't great, do you want some more close up pics?
YES PLEASE James cheers on the pics but not sure what you mean by 8t ? do you mean it was on ebay at 80 quid ?
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi James
Just caught up with this. Many older kits build up well with a little effort and they usually represent good value for money. The cockpit looks great. That Aires kit seems superb. Often aftermarket stuff does need a bit of fettling even when specific for the base kit.
Looking forward to the rest of the build of this great looking aircraft.
Jim

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So I did a dry fit of the cockpit section today which I'm glad I did as it didn't fit well.
Had to detach back section behind RIO's seat and file away about 2mm of the main tub to get it to sit flush.

Looking at the cockpit surround tolhe Aires one isn't as good a fit as the Tamiya. Suspect I'm going to amalgamate the two to get detail and fit.

Anyway photos attached of dry fit work.

IMG_20211007_214018.jpgIMG_20211007_214013.jpgIMG_20211007_214005.jpgIMG_20211007_214002.jpg

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So ended up spending some hours this evening sorting the forward wheel bay and adding some copper and lead wiring to add a bit more detail and some different finishes.
Have to varnish tomorrow before pin wash and then Matt varnish and glue together.

Attachments

• IMG_20220401_232710.jpg
    IMG_20220401_232710.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220401_231617.jpg
    IMG_20220401_231617.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220401_230441.jpg
    IMG_20220401_230441.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 14

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Mick whats this aires an could you put on a link for me to hae a look at it as i have 2 big 1/32 kits to build ?
chrisb

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Some more nice work James, I think my next 1/32 build will be my F-16, just ordered some Aires wheel bays for it.
That's a lovely kit but even the stash is out of space till one is built.
My F14 has Aires tub and also the 1/32 lightning I have has Aires tub too.
I have never done the wheel bays actually with detail kits. Just saw this thing with the wire on YouTube.

Look forward to seeing the F16 build!