Tamiya 1/32 F-16 (the big box )

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I’ve been itching to make a start on this one but I’ve signed up for the Mosquito GB next month. I’ve decided to at least start the thread and see what I can get done. Firstly it’s a big box with lots of parts and extras that came with it. I’ve added some 3D cockpit decals and replacement wheel bays. 1AC1516E-0B6C-466A-A8E9-9C9E22724DAC.jpeg
FCF743FE-3A83-4E4F-8E50-393183C8DD63.jpeg
The inner lid is designed to hold the completed model if you’ve no display room. One of the parts boxes also doubles up as storage for the weapons which are interchangeable.
Now for the sprues
C4AAD116-75E1-44E6-A119-CEFAF19F3E3B.jpeg4BEA4EBC-49DD-4632-8895-75C15B06E35E.jpegFA3CCC13-1932-473F-8423-3FB71AE37112.jpeg9DA17A46-0412-4698-A107-B1D427F648EC.jpegB4302A1A-74E7-406F-B2B3-E993963A89E8.jpeg9FEFC07B-B3D8-472C-BE86-CABD8CB9BBAC.jpegE27CBC20-8FEA-479E-8D3D-B41CB1DD7523.jpeg

The kit came with two wheel options, the rubber ones in the kit and some AM weighted ones, not sure yet which I’ll use. The undercarriage is metal and there’s a nice metal nose weight to stop tail sitting. As you can see this is a BIG project for me so I don’t expect it to be finished quickly . Plenty of seats available and snacks will be provided for any rabble who drop by.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have a soft spot for the F16- which is fortunate as they fly over the house almost every day at the moment! (sometimes very fast and quite low!)
Anyhow. I'm here for the long haul so be a good chap and put kettle on.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks like a lot of plastic there Mick. I’m sure you’ll have great fun with it ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mick
Certainly a lot of parts. Definitely one for the long haul.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It’s a brilliant kit, perfect fit and great detail out of the box. One of the best Tamiya’s and hence one of the best kits around.

The 3D set will go great with it, but I am not sure the replacement wheel wells will add anything.

Enjoy.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looks a nice kit, and with all that AM as well this is going to be a hell of a build!
Pete

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
After seeing your excellent result with it's smaller brother, I'm in for this bad boy...

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I have a soft spot for the F16- which is fortunate as they fly over the house almost every day at the moment! (sometimes very fast and quite low!)
Anyhow. I'm here for the long haul so be a good chap and put kettle on.
I've developed one for this aircraft after researching for the 1/48 build. Kettles on.
Looks like a lot of plastic there Mick. I’m sure you’ll have great fun with it ;)
At the speed I build at least a years worth :hungry:
Mick,
That will keep you put of mischief for a while. I will follow along.
Cheers Scottie glad to have you looking in
It’s a brilliant kit, perfect fit and great detail out of the box. One of the best Tamiya’s and hence one of the best kits around.

The 3D set will go great with it, but I am not sure the replacement wheel wells will add anything.

Enjoy.
I had to get the big brother to my 1/48 build and hoped it would go together as well. The wheel wells were going very cheap so I thought if I had them I could decide later so we shall see but welcome along.
Looks a nice kit, and with all that AM as well this is going to be a hell of a build!
Pete
Welcome to the build Pete, certainly going have to take my time with all these extra bits, bigger aircraft so nowhere to hide :smiling5:
After seeing your excellent result with it's smaller brother, I'm in for this bad boy...
Many thanks Chris let's hope so.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and comment gents, looks like the kettles going to get some hammer.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Mick mate rabble member here as im in to lookin forward to the eats an drinks an seein this great kit go togeather pity as if it was me id light her up with nav an landing lights as this in my opinion brings the model to life an it would be easy to do on a big kit like this but you build it how you want an can i have a front seat before the rest of the rabble get here an sqabbilin begins lol an then there will be a call out to matron to sort them out lol
chrisb

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
HI Mick mate rabble member here as im in to lookin forward to the eats an drinks an seein this great kit go togeather pity as if it was me id light her up with nav an landing lights as this in my opinion brings the model to life an it would be easy to do on a big kit like this but you build it how you want an can i have a front seat before the rest of the rabble get here an sqabbilin begins lol an then there will be a call out to matron to sort them out lol
chrisb
Hi Chris and welcome along, not so sure about throwing electrics into the mix that's more for you more knowledgeable folk :smiling5:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The kit came with two wheel options, the rubber ones in the kit and some AM weighted ones,
(Mick Qoute)
Mick what this wheight wheels ? then do you mean plastic ones whare they have a flat bulgey bottom as simulating the wheight of the aircraft ?
chrisb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting Mick..... Not a small kit!

Good luck with the build!!

ATB.

Andrew

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
The kit came with two wheel options, the rubber ones in the kit and some AM weighted ones,
(Mick Qoute)
Mick what this wheight wheels ? then do you mean plastic ones whare they have a flat bulgey bottom as simulating the wheight of the aircraft ?
chrisb
Yes Chris they’re made to simulate the aircrafts weight on them

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Mick,

So you're gonna build the big size wing thingy of this bird now, huh.....Sure does have a whole bunch of parts to it, plus the AM stuff too. I looked at the destructions on Scalemates and figured you'll need a long time, if not longer to build it. I'm in Sir and wish you all the best in this endeavor.....Now go build a shelf big enough to hold it when you finish it.............

Prost
Allen

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Evening Mick,

So you're gonna build the big size wing thingy of this bird now, huh.....Sure does have a whole bunch of parts to it, plus the AM stuff too. I looked at the destructions on Scalemates and figured you'll need a long time, if not longer to build it. I'm in Sir and wish you all the best in this endeavor.....Now go build a shelf big enough to hold it when you finish it.............

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen, as well as a shelf I need to extend my desk, there as 1/32 He111 and an F4 Phantom sat in the pile too :smiling5:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I always wonder how you fit those big birds in the spray booth?
A large spray booth is the answer. I use a Benchvent and it’s ideal, a stronger ‘pull’ than cheaper booths. I also don’t have the ‘surrounding’ shields as I don’t consider them necessary. I don’t get any noticeable overspray although I have set up a screen to prevent overspray hitting my printer. Being right handed I tend to spray inwards towards my left and side where the printer is. I use thin black card to cover my table that can easily be screwed up and thrown away when it’s too dirty.

image.jpg

As I said, I have no overspray problem at all like this.