Tamiya 1/32 F16 CJ bloc 50 Fighting Falcon.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
While sat having a coffee in Telford I thought to post some photos taken last night as I set up the next build.

the box
73463817-D273-47FD-B3B6-07071904432E.jpeg
There is an inner lid that can be used to transport the model.
54109DFC-F16E-4747-ABE8-E9AD71D5C0AA.jpeg

I have some aftermarket. You cannot trust Tamiya’s decals and I found this superb scheme. Also o think this model deserves some added detail so I got some cockpit p.e and I will add some plumming to the wheel legs.
C50C4E1D-AABE-4AEC-9F85-235BFF84715D.jpeg
Nice colour poster
70D6F66B-A1A5-488F-A548-48FDAB1D86B9.jpeg
look at this kit pe and other assorted screws etc packed separately.
5255280B-59EC-4F6E-928D-6643F6F05B4A.jpeg

here are the sprues all ready, labelled and sorted.
22BDDEEA-71F6-42B6-B60E-F0FAFA3B04F1.jpeg
Finally a shot of my workspace. All cleaned up, sorted and ready to start when I am back from the show.
3B3DF93D-A8A1-4CC6-9B8B-EC58528D1D31.jpeg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry that must be the tidyiest work bench ive ever seen put me to shame an NOW for one of the build's ive been waiting for as if I really like your finished plane then I may try an sqeeze one in between my two kits when I build them that is .But ive always liked the F16 since I first saw it in the early colours of red white an blue so im like all the guys lookin forward to this build is it gonna be in the flyin postion or on the hard stand ?
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Hope you're enjoying Telford and resisting putting your credit card into rehab :smiling:
Looks a very nice kit. You're looking well organised and ready for the off. Being Tamiya should mean no fit issues.
Looking forward to following the build.
Jim
That sprue holder looks useful :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lock and load ready to go Barry...:thumb2:

HI Barry that must be the tidyiest work bench ive ever seen put me to shame an NOW for one of the build's ive been waiting for as if I really like your finished plane then I may try an sqeeze one in between my two kits when I build them that is .But ive always liked the F16 since I first saw it in the early colours of red white an blue so im like all the guys lookin forward to this build is it gonna be in the flyin postion or on the hard stand ?
chris
I could only appreciate the F-16 only after the Thunderbirds made a visit twice in fact, on their second tour they performed just above my house which is next to our local Airforce base.

Cheers,
Richard

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Looking forward to this build Barry. I have a 1/48 sat in the build queue and built the 1/16th cockpit model some time ago

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One of the best looking 'modern' jets. I will look forward to this one going together.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry lookin forward to this build but you went to telford model show didn't you ? an is there to be any pics of the show ? on onther thread ?
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI Barry lookin forward to this build but you went to telford model show didn't you ? an is there to be any pics of the show ? on onther thread ?
chris
Hi Chris.
I did not really take any pics. I did do a post about the show and what tools I can back with.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Made a start last night and this kit starts with the engine trolly and then the engine. I won’t be using the trolly so my first instinct was not to bother with it but the engineering is so good I could not resist putting it together. Whether I paint it or not will depend on my mood. I probably will. The engine will be fixed inside and I will start that tonight.
3A85CC9A-277B-4A94-B313-01041AA95EA2.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well last night I got on with the aircraft 'proper'...

Starting with the engine. Utterly faultless fit in every sense with no ambiguity about where pieces go...... What a relief from the last threee kits from Kitty Hawk and Revell...

The engine is beautifully detailed being Tamiya and parts fit together 'into' the detail so you cannot see a seam in most places. The only visible seams are mainly in smooth non-detailed areas, most of which will be covered by other engine parts. If you did want to 'unhitch' the engine from the aircraft you could turn the engine into a display model itself, sat on the jolly. But that is not my plan and I will be fixing the engine into the fuselage, so when I paint it will only be visible areas. While the kit is designed so the engine can be removed and put back that is something I simply will not do and so don't want to waste time on areas that cannot be seen.

Here is where I have got to so far...
IMG_1448.jpg
IMG_1449.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Barry

Have to say I am very, VERY jealous of that workspace of yours. I have to camp on a cold out table in our kitchen.

And you're right about the engine it does look lovely.

ATB

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Barry, love the bench, looks superb. As I know nothing about planes I can only say good luck :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry its looks a very good kit judgein by the detail on that engine an its a shame you don't want to show the engine on its dolly as that's what I would do as I show my models off on a shelf over the tv an whenever friends come they always have a look at the planes as they like to see them all lit up with their nav an landin lights on. But I RESPECT your decion on fixin it in the plane pemantanly so enjoy this biuld an I hope you will enjoy the build as much as us guys who will be following your build as I know I will as I really enjoy it as to me you are a preimer builder top grade from what ive seen of your work :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI Barry its looks a very good kit judgein by the detail on that engine an its a shame you don't want to show the engine on its dolly as that's what I would do as I show my models off on a shelf over the tv an whenever friends come they always have a look at the planes as they like to see them all lit up with their nav an landin lights on. But I RESPECT your decion on fixin it in the plane pemantanly so enjoy this biuld an I hope you will enjoy the build as much as us guys who will be following your build as I know I will as I really enjoy it as to me you are a preimer builder top grade from what ive seen of your work :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
chris
You are lucky John. My missus won’t have my models in the main house and even in the garage woe betide me if I allow my stash to stray outside the designated area. Should I suggest to visitors they come and have a look then i get told ‘no-one is really interested in your stupid models’. So my there is only me to look......

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Should I suggest to visitors they come and have a look then i get told ‘no-one is really interested in your stupid models’.
Seriously..... Someone needs telling "it's my house too". I take it that she has no hobbies/interests....
I dont plaster the whole house with the things I build but I am "allowed" to have a couple in the cabinets in the main part of the house. Oddly enough, visitors to the house often comment on them (some even in a positive manner!).
dannebrog-p-f16.jpeg
One sexy aircraft!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You are lucky John. My missus won’t have my models in the main house and even in the garage woe betide me if I allow my stash to stray outside the designated area. Should I suggest to visitors they come and have a look then i get told ‘no-one is really interested in your stupid models’. So my there is only me to look......
OH that's a shame barry as I would be havin a look an im glad my missus understand about my love of models
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Seriously..... Someone needs telling "it's my house too". I take it that she has no hobbies/interests....
I dont plaster the whole house with the things I build but I am "allowed" to have a couple in the cabinets in the main part of the house. Oddly enough, visitors to the house often comment on them (some even in a positive manner!).
View attachment 363469
One sexy aircraft!
YEA that's right Ian poor barry I sympathize with him on that account
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
So far I have the landing and nowhere else is allowed so I understand Barry's marked territory except my Missus encourages friends to see my work.

Cheers,
Richard

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
View attachment 363469
One sexy aircraft!
Ahhhh but I just live there!!!!

She just likes the outside and is bored being inside, cant sit still for more than half hour...

In her mind the only pasttimes worthwhile involves walking, running.....................

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Here are pictures of the rather substantial sub-assemblies so far done.
41C58A7F-B1FB-4982-852C-AC2C60825D86.jpeg

6E2ABBF5-18F0-45B3-BD59-9CE37A71E0CA.jpeg

0DDC6D48-FA6B-4C6E-A49E-A01B49E6865B.jpeg

9F6206E7-7DA4-4534-A5AA-BE5A0D89F3DF.jpeg

DFAC8D97-2F70-4957-9F59-56E708693679.jpeg

Note the extra pipe work in the wheel well done with lead wire. I will be doing the same for the main wheels.