Tamiya 1/32 F16 CJ bloc 50 Fighting Falcon.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
any other ideas? (Barry quote)

Well Barry I know you will think this a silly idea but I really liked that wild weasel decals set from 2 bobs wasn't it an if it was exspensive forget what im now goin to say but can you buy another set of the same decals as they may not split on the nxt ones an one of my modelin friends says if trouble on splittin of decals he says get the whole sheet of the decals an spray on a clear varnish very lightly onto the decals an let dry then cut out the decal to the edges if poss an even into managelable sections if its a big decal which yours are an then dip them in the water an he said it works but again his were 1/72 scale but he's not into so much atentshion to detail like you are SO well its up to you but if it was me id have another go as the old sayin goes nothin ventured nothin gained
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
any other ideas? (Barry quote)

Well Barry I know you will think this a silly idea but I really liked that wild weasel decals set from 2 bobs wasn't it an if it was exspensive forget what im now goin to say but can you buy another set of the same decals as they may not split on the nxt ones an one of my modelin friends says if trouble on splittin of decals he says get the whole sheet of the decals an spray on a clear varnish very lightly onto the decals an let dry then cut out the decal to the edges if poss an even into managelable sections if its a big decal which yours are an then dip them in the water an he said it works but again his were 1/72 scale but he's not into so much atentshion to detail like you are SO well its up to you but if it was me id have another go as the old sayin goes nothin ventured nothin gained
chris
They were quite expensive and I had to wait a fair bit for delivery..... I have to just take the hit on that,

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Trumpeter are bad so get am if you can.
Decals, I understand, do deteriate over time but I have heard of some very old yellowed Airfix decals have worked

Sorry Barry im not up on kits these days as building to many ships but whats this AM ?
Chris
AM is aftermarket. Buying from third parties who produce parts for other kit manufacturers.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Such a shame about the decals. Manufacturers fault for sure as you are certainly not a novice. Hope you can figure out a solution over Christmas and sort the issue in the new year.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AM is aftermarket. Buying from third parties who produce parts for other kit manufacturers.

HI again Barry well for my big tomcat in 1/32 trumpeter kit I did buy a A/M decals an they are called CAMpro series decals have you treid them ? as I want to turn her into the jolly rogers sqr aircraft
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have some am ready for the ‘cat I cannot remember whose they are. I also have resin seats I will do pics when I do a thread. I expect the F16 will take me until a few weeks after New Year then I will do a F14 thread.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I managed an unexpected half hour at the bench today and made a decision to proceed with one of the Tamiya schemes. I selected one that does not have any large decals to splinter and I did one side of the fin that has the two largest decals on the aircraft... I also, for this scheme, painted the top of the fin red.

I applied some decal solution and left it to dry. I may not return to the bench for a few days other than to sneak in to peak to see how the decal settled in.

2F5F8232-4EE2-4F59-804E-001BB0EE2A29.jpeg

I am not repainting the camo scheme so it will not be 100% accurate but this is the closest to the original intended scheme.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well that was a shame after all that perfect work, lets hope the second ones work .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Barry, I've been out and about doing ferry duties with my sibblings from Down Under and just looked in.

Shame about the decals. With large ones I would usually dissect them in individual sections on the sheet before imersing in water depending on the difficulty of the surface it will go on. Loads of water on the surface for easy sliding then when satisfied with position then the softener goes on and its rolled over with a cutip to squeeze out any excess water and softener. This also firmly tacks the decal to the surface when the decal starts drying and hugging details. I know Tammy decals are !@#&??!! but can be worked with a bit of planning as you have just done.

Merry belated Christmas to you.

Cheers,
Richard

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have managed To grab some odd periods at the bench. These decals really have been a continuing problem. Any pretence of depicting an actual aircraft is gone and it will be a mix of three aircraft, the paint scheme of the original intended aircraft and the markings a mix of two others, I actually have been using a mix of the am and lot decals.

The fin has been an issue. The observant will see that the final set of fin markings are not those previously pictured. Third time lucky. They are now settling in with a final application of solution.
7601B3A9-5615-4409-8167-9957E4D3AC48.jpeg

The fuselage top and bottom is also done

FBF0AC5B-DF5C-448E-82F7-00997AF787DC.jpeg

C63E6E9F-6517-4B6C-8D4C-AE71D3735FD9.jpeg

I have now the stores to do. Fingers crossed.....

if I was OCD over getting every detail right I would have been driven insane by this.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Regardless of the authenticity of the markings you have a quality model with decals that have gone on OK :thumb2: Very frustrating for you.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Jim
I have a plan for future builds to alleviate this issue where I cannot get masks.

I am going to do some experiments copying decals onto decal paper. I have never done something like this before so I will do a thread about it. Once I have perfected the method I will produce an extra set for every kit.

I will still use masks wherever I can in preference but that is clearly not an option with modern jets.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
yea such a pity Barry lets hope you have better luck on the tomcat as i'll be watchin
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Barry, have you ever thought about getting one of those Silhouette Portrait cutters and making your own masks from Oramask? Expensive I know, but so are those 1/32 kits you build.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I was looking into those cutting plotters a few months ago, and I concluded they’re not useful for making spray masks for things like numbers and letters a few millimetres high. Note I concluded this from reading about their capabilities, not from having actually used one, but the problem as I saw it is that they all work with a swivelling blade, so to cut any given line they tend to start a little outside of that to make sure the blade gets pulled in the right direction along the actual cutting line. That means they’re likely to cut a little more (up to perhaps a millimetre, off the top of my head) than necessary, which will be a definite problem if you’re trying to make masks of small letters and other intricate shapes.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
There's a chap on another forum who's used one to cut masks for serials down to a few mm high.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hmm … it might just be doable, then. The impression I got was that it wouldn’t be for the kinds of sizes I would need (2 mm at the very minimum, but preferably smaller than that). Have you got a link to the relevant post on that forum?