Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire IXc

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Evening All,
Finished yesterday, really impressed with mould quality and assembly plan, the aircraft can be changed over from a 'ground' model to a 'flying' model on a stand, as the undercarriage is screwed in and has 2 different undercarriage sets to allow the change. Magnetic engine cover panels seems to work.
Only negative was having a few issues with decals. Used OOTB but did have a few nightmares with some.
Really enjoyed building this one, has got me back in the 'cave'. Not sure on next build, have a1:32 Revell Hunter to start, or a half built Revell HMS Snowberry in 1:72, so not too sure at present.
Will be eagerly looking at Tamiya, the part quality is really good.
Cheers
Alun
PS thanks too all who looked in on the build.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 39

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great build, Alun.
Also, I do like the reflections. they show the excellent model off a treat.

You and the lads stay safe.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
That's a cracker, really nice. Seems you're another singing the praises for Tamiya. Love the way you have photographed the model.
Jim

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Lovely, though usually the two letters forward of the roundel are foward on both sides, still a cracking result. And I'm stealing that photography idea. Used mirrors before but not with a nice sky above.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Alun

You did a great job there, nicely displayed and photographed too.

All the other Tamiya WW2 warbirds are equally as good or even better and, having built one, you have been spoilt and will find that nothing else quite comes up to scratch.

I would love to see you tackle the others:
The two other Spitfires (Mk VIII and XVI)
The three Mustangs, D, K and F51
The two Zeros
The three Corsairs
And, of course, the Mosquito.
Go on, you know that you want to!!!!!

One tip - you are spot on about the Tamiya decals. The smaller ones are manageable, but ideally it is best to use masks for the main markings. For one thing masks are actually easier to use once you get used to them and,
more importantly, you get a far superior result that does justice to the high quality Tamiya moulds and in 1/32 scale you can really appreciate the difference.

There are also some great aftermarket decals, though I would suggest still using masks for roundels/squadron codes and so on. There are generic mask sets that offer good value that can be combined with am decals.

I am only on my phone at the moment, as I am still on holiday, so I cannot provide a link to my preferred masks but I will do so when I get a chance.

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Hi Alun

You did a great job there, nicely displayed and photographed too.

All the other Tamiya WW2 warbirds are equally as good or even better and, having built one, you have been spoilt and will find that nothing else quite comes up to scratch.

I would love to see you tackle the others:
The two other Spitfires (Mk VIII and XVI)
The three Mustangs, D, K and F51
The two Zeros
The three Corsairs
And, of course, the Mosquito.
Go on, you know that you want to!!!!!

One tip - you are spot on about the Tamiya decals. The smaller ones are manageable, but ideally it is best to use masks for the main markings. For one thing masks are actually easier to use once you get used to them and,
more importantly, you get a far superior result that does justice to the high quality Tamiya moulds and in 1/32 scale you can really appreciate the difference.

There are also some great aftermarket decals, though I would suggest still using masks for roundels/squadron codes and so on. There are generic mask sets that offer good value that can be combined with am decals.

I am only on my phone at the moment, as I am still on holiday, so I cannot provide a link to my preferred masks but I will do so when I get a chance.
Thanks Barry, that's quite a list you have given me, the Mosquito is one I would like to do. Alas there is no Hurricane to pair up with this one.
Masks were supplied with this kit, for the canopy, but decals were a bit scary, was not sure if it was me out of practice, but two just disintegrated. Thanks for looking in, and for the advice. A

Last edited:

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Lovely, though usually the two letters forward of the roundel are foward on both sides, still a cracking result. And I'm stealing that photography idea. Used mirrors before but not with a nice sky above.
The glass is our patio table set, black smoked effect, shows up the rarely seen blue sky!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job. Was the photography setting deliberate, or a fantastic piece of luck ?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Barry, that's quite a list you have given me, the Mosquito is one I would like to do. Alas there is no Hurricane to pair up with this one.
Masks were supplied with this kit, for the canopy, but decals were a bit scary, was not sure if it was me out of practice, but two just disintegrated. Thanks for looking in, and for the advice. A
Hi Alun
I was not referring to canopy masks so much much as masks for the main markings, roundels, flashes and codes. That avoids having to stress out over the poor decals. Those issues were not you but the decals themselves.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice one Alun.

Your outdoor patio set makes for a really cool photography setting too!

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
top class ...... nothing like a well finished spitfire to look at ....

cheers
lindsey