Tamiya 1/35 M792 Gama Goat Ambulance now with figures

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

After bending my brain with the post apocalypse dio (still not quite finished) I needed something straightforward to get my mojo back. What better than a little Tamiya kit!

There are a couple of figures to go with this, hence the steering wheel isn't finished nor the canvas tops fully fitted, but hopefully I'll get to those when I'm more in the mood. The woodland camo they are wearing will be a test!

I included the gun mount and ammo boxes, not normally fitted to the ambulance version according the blurb in the box, just to add a bit more detail.

As usual it was primed in Mr Surfacer black. The interior is Mr Color Olive Drab. The 4 exterior camo colours were mixed by eye to match the box art best I could, from my small selection of AK3 acrylics, making sure I used one of the colours (German Field Grey) in each mix, to keep them tonally similar. I airbrushed the whole thing in the sandy colour, then brush painted the camo. To further tie the colours together I speckled the whole thing with each of the 4 colours in turn, well thinned down, at low pressure through the AB, then mixed the two main colours together (again, well thinned) and sprayed that all over as a kind of filter. The canvas is a mixture of Khaki and dark green, to give something close to the Khaki Drab specified.

I finished off with a wash of Burnt Umber & black oils. It could stand more weathering, especially the inside & tyres, but for a quickie I'm happy enough.

And the red cross decals were probably the trickiest thing! One of them was completely obliterated in the application process so I had to mask & spray a replacement.

Anyway, I hope you like it, and thanks for looking.

5kYbouY.jpg

1neYRJ3.jpg

23kvx5x.jpg

lrce2Mp.jpg

NW79Vsk.jpg

enmA3r9.jpg

RO42m36.jpg

LRKy1mm.jpg

KyLoF42.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word Andy that is superb. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: Great paintwork and decals.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul, John, Pete & Ian.

I definitely enjoy this type of build more than the over complicated stuff I've done lately. I just need to find more subjects!

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice one Andy. The camo is well painted and an interesting vehicle too.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Richard, and all those who have reacted :thumb2:

Yes, it struck me as unusual and interesting as soon as I saw it. I bet they would be great as an off-roading toy.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Very nicely done indeed. Well done.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice :smiling3: The colours look convincing, and in any case, those on the real thing often showed quite a bit of variation. BTW, in case you decide to build more vehicles of this era, you could also have sprayed some or all of the camouflage. On the real thing, the intention was that the large patches were to be sprayed and the small swirls, brush-painted. However, often everything was sprayed, with quite soft edges, or everything was brushed like on your model.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andrew, Jakko

With only 1 kit left in the "stash", I need to get looking for something else pretty quickly!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great job on this Andy. Camo looks splendid.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Bizarre looking creature! Thankfully you've made it look great!

Lee

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Lee, only its mother could love it :smiling5:

That's my kind of vehicle Jakko, but until one of the top brands makes a plastic version I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That's my kind of vehicle
I figured as much :smiling3:

but until one of the top brands makes a plastic version I wouldn't go anywhere near it.
The Perfect Scale kit is apparently fairly easy to build, but that will still be more involved than a moderately difficult plastic equivalent, and given the type and size of vehicle I doubt it’d make a good first resin kit in any case. Unfortunately I also doubt it would be a popular enough subject for plastic kit manufacturers :sad:

Reactions: JR