Tamiya 1/35 M792 Gama Goat Ambulance now with figures

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andy.

It seems like the ones I have the most fun with are the best received by you guys. Maybe there's a lesson in there.... :smiling5:

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

It seems we've lost the ability to edit thread titles, or I would have added "now with figures", so I'll just tack them on the end here and hope you see them :smiling3:

I'm definitely no figure painter but I guess there's only one way to get better, so I had a stab at these that were included in the box. The driver is in 6 parts so posing him to be looking the right way and have his arms in the right position without gluing him in his seat was tricky, and I had to make up a sling for the rifle, but apart from that they are out of the box. I didn't have all the right paints so again I mixed something close, basically based on buff, Russian Grey, Dark Rust & Smoke Black.

I think it's my first time trying to do eyes properly, and while the driver is a bit boz eyed, I'm happy with the stern look on pointy guys face.

A few of the pictures are a bit blurry, but I think that does me some favours! :smiling5:

OOJ5DSR.jpg

pdXgCry.jpg

SDUTWA5.jpg

S9qyHwO.jpg

4QGOv05.jpg

pw9zUjy.jpg

Thanks for looking, and I'll keep practising!

D

Deleted member 6559

Very nicely done indeed Andy. Th camo in particular is spot-on.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Look good Andy....I agree with Peter, the Camo in particular is excellent.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb job andy , ive heard the name before but never knew what one of these looked like , i like it ! The paint and weathering look perfect to me , great work . Ive edited the title for you , hope you dont mind , cheers tony

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great job Andy, pointy guy looks really officious so would not want to argue with him.

Andy.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Camo uniforms are nothing short of amazing. An overall well done. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks everyone, glad you like it.

The camo was a bit of a head scratcher, but I just kept layering the different colours until it looked something like.

And cheers for the edit Tony :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice figures Andy.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Looking very nicely done indeed.

Also I thought we'd lost the ability to edit thread titles bit then began to wonder if it was me!!

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John & Andrew.

Much more practice needed on the faces I think. Maybe I'll dig out the figures I've taken from kits and thrown in the back of a drawer, and get cracking.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I didn't have all the right paints so again I mixed something close, basically based on buff, Russian Grey, Dark Rust & Smoke Black.
For these American uniforms, that matters even less than for the vehicle — different batches/manufacturers produced them in slightly different colours, and after that the cotton items like jackets, trousers and caps can fade quite badly in use (synthetic fibre ones, like the body armour, fade a lot less). Yours look almost new :smiling3:

BTW, I just noticed a slightly odd decision by Tamiya: the standing figure has M1956 or M1967 belt suspenders, rather than the ALICE ones I’d expect with the ammo pouches and helmet he’s wearing. The difference is the ALICE set has only a single strap down the back. Not impossible in the 1980s, I suppose, but unusual.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well I reckon it's a job well done.
Excellent camo.
Regarding the eyes, keep in mind figures are supposed to be viewed at a scale distance, not close up. Personally, I do very little work on them because they are barely seen and most people tend to squint a bit anyway. I realise folks have different approaches and thinking when painting 'Small eyes', that's fine.

Top work Andy.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Ron, I surprised myself with the camo. I thought I'd have to strip them at least once!

And I guess you're right about the eyes. By the time I've got them far enough away to focus without my reading glasses, I can't see any detail anyway :nerd:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Its all been said already. A cracking model and the figures are great.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its a camo fest!! A terrific build Andy. The figures are non too shabby either. Wonderful work all round. Great to see mate

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim & Steve.

Itching to get on with something else now but the cupboard is bare :smiling5: I was hoping to be on with an entirely different project this month, so didn't order any kits, but events have put that on hold for a while. Just my luck lol.