Tamiya 1/35 sd.kfz 7/1 Flakvierling.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Glad to help bud. I bet if you look hard enough you’d find a picture with them on the same as your original though LOL....

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Left as in the usual side when you’re referring to a vehicle: as if you’re standing behind it.

Yeah, I've always had a problem with that sort of thing. I tried to make it easier on myself by using near/off side or drivers/ passenger side but that got confusing when I started dealing with foreign vehicles.

Anyhoo, sorted now thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Offside and nearside are confusing to everyone except British people, I think :smiling3: I always have to think which is which, but in this case, it’s offside, I think?

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
You've got it !
Nearside is the side next to the kerb or pavement, offside is in the road, so it depends on which side or the road you are driving. I guess that means that the track we were talking about would be offside in countries with LHD cars. Or LHD halftracks. Unless it's in the UK, probably.....I definitely haven't got a clue about offside in football though !

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well think we've all been there, I have to have a photo on the wall showing the pattern.
I once did a build with track the wrong way, and Jakko found a photo of one in a museum exactly the same !
Causes more confusion than damned multi wheeled German Armour !

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well think we've all been there, I have to have a photo on the wall showing the pattern.
I once did a build with track the wrong way, and Jakko found a photo of one in a museum exactly the same !
Causes more confusion than damned multi wheeled German Armour !
You make a good point John.

When the Plastic Soldier Company created their 1/72 quickbuild Churchill's (I have several) they got the tracks the wrong way round but I've seen more than one photo from the war showing exactly that. Proof that the troops who worked with the things every day were only human and just as easily confused as us!

I actually have a little project in mind where I will deliberately do something officially wrong, wait for the rivet counters to jump on me and at which point I'll pull out the photo that proves I'm right! Small minded I know but enjoyable nonetheless. :smiling2:

ATB.

Andrew

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I actually have a little project in mind where I will deliberately do something officially wrong, wait for the rivet counters to jump on me and at which point I'll pull out the photo that proves I'm right! Small minded I know but enjoyable nonetheless. :smiling2:

ATB.

Andrew
Ooo, that's evil - but fun! :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
When the Plastic Soldier Company created their 1/72 quickbuild Churchill's (I have several) they got the tracks the wrong way round
I have that and never noticed …

but I've seen more than one photo from the war showing exactly that. Proof that the troops who worked with the things every day were only human and just as easily confused as us!
Try this one:
AVRE G42 voorkant.jpg

But yeah, there are plenty of photos of vehicles with one or both of the tracks the wrong way round, so it’s not really a big deal if you do that by accident on your model.

Those are the kinds of pictures that make for interesting models, partly exactly because of the fun of waiting for people to point out that you’ve done it wrong :smiling3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Those are the kinds of pictures that make for interesting models, partly exactly because of the fun of waiting for people to point out that you’ve done it wrong :smiling3:
I've a photo about here of a British Policeman directing German officers taken during WWII, apparently it was used by the German high command for propaganda, yes, it was an actual occurrence as it was taken in the Channel Islands - tempting dio that is!

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Evening.
Time to get this this build back on track (d'ya see what I did there ?). To be honest if that's the first time that pun's been used on a military or train modelling forum, I'll eat my hat.

Got a bit more done tonight. messing about with the photo etch and sticking some plastic together.

1EFiZb4.jpg

Also made the gates up. In the absence of any knowledge I've assumed that the mesh was probably welded steel and that after a gun crew had jumped around on it for a while it would become dented & damaged. Once painted, weathered and a bit rusty I'm hoping it'll look ok.

SkBfL4J.jpg

A bit more painting tomorrow and see if I can get a bit braver with the PE.

Thanks for looking

Dan

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It was wire mesh:

Sd.Kfz. 7:1.jpg

So yes, chances are it might have become deformed.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Didn't get any paint on today as by the time I'd finished my duties it was a bit cold and dark in the spray booth (barn).

Thought I'd have a go at doing some canvas damage. I found some Tamiya round mouldings that I've had forever. They've got a Beatties price sticker on them which date them to at least 2001 but are probably from about 1980. The 2 mm is actually about 1.5 so times by 35 = about 50mm. Possibly a touch large for a tilt frame but I thought it would be ok, especially once I've added some tattered fabric.

bryJWGh.jpg

However, I mocked the whole thing up earlier and feel that compared to the gun barrels it looks a bit lumpy. I'll have a look in my parts box tomorrow and see if I have anything smaller.

Anyway, it's getting closer to completion. That's when the hard work's going to start !

vCQN1OS.jpg

NxG7eye.jpg

More tomorrow hopefully.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Stretch some sprue instead: cut a length of sprue (10 cm is easily enough), light a candle and hold the sprue above it, rotating it all the time to heat it evenly in one spot; when it gets soft enough that it bends, take it away from the flame and pull the two ends apart. With a little bit of practice you should be able to get this to the diameter you need quite easily.

As an added tip, material stretched in this way will keep its cross-section, so if you need thin square rod, for example, you can file a few centimetres of sprue into a square cross-section and stretch it.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
As an added tip, material stretched in this way will keep its cross-section, so if you need thin square rod, for example, you can file a few centimetres of sprue into a square cross-section and stretch it.
Well I didn't know that, every day's a learning day even at my great age!

• Haha

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Stretch some sprue instead: cut a length of sprue (10 cm is easily enough), light a candle and hold the sprue above it, rotating it all the time to heat it evenly in one spot; when it gets soft enough that it bends, take it away from the flame and pull the two ends apart. With a little bit of practice you should be able to get this to the diameter you need quite easily.

Didn't realize that it keeps its cross section, one to file away! Thanks