Tamiya 1/35 sd.kfz 7/1 Flakvierling.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Well I didn't know that, every day's a learning day even at my great age!
Obviously it might get its corners rounded off and the whole thing may end up twisted, but in principle it will hold its cross-section :smiling3:

Also, if you stretch a hollow piece, like a length of plastic tube, you will get a smaller-diameter tube. This takes more practice/finesse than stretching solid sprue, though.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Evening.
Had a chance (at last) to spend a few hours on it this evening. Nearly ready for final assembly prior to weathering.

Haven't been overly fussed with the colour match between Tamiya spray & acrylics but you live and learn. I'm sure it'll get better with some patina.

Chassis finished. I tried to make it look like the bed sides/gates/whatever have had a hard life.

FTQEQYE.jpg

The rest of the body parts are ready to go together though there's a little more PE to be added.

y7u9EgI.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how the canvas turned out, I'm hoping a bit of weathering will enhance the effect

WM3gkA8.jpg

I found some thinner rod for the frame, much more to scale now.

6bf6UWL.jpg

After assembly I guess I need to firstly make it look battle worn and then put the winter white wash on and weather that too.
The potential for a visit from Captain Cock-up is high but I'm not too worried as it's my first kit for a while.

Dan.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Obviously it might get its corners rounded off and the whole thing may end up twisted, but in principle it will hold its cross-section :smiling3:

Also, if you stretch a hollow piece, like a length of plastic tube, you will get a smaller-diameter tube. This takes more practice/finesse than stretching solid sprue, though.
Every time I try it either catches fire ! Or breaks .
Of course I prefer the first !

Dan sorry for butting in.
Like the whole build, esp the canvas cover .

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Hokay, final stretch. Well, last lap anyway.

Used all the bits up and stuck them together. Except the figures, but more on that later.

Yay6nm8.jpg

I then started on the weathering. I have decided not to go full-on winter white... rather end of the winter, almost all the white-wash has washed off, white. Likewise, the crew will have turned their uniforms inside out to camo. Gonna take my time with them as I never managed to make figures look any good in the past.

Stuck with what I knew to get it going. First enamels. Various small amounts of brown and black mixed with matt clear.

OgD8H0h.jpg

WMta9Cf.jpg

Worked that in a bit and then laid on some acrylic washes. Acrylics are new to me but I like them so far.

WLUPciy.jpg

gZOz9B3.jpg

I'm happy with that. Next up will be mud in the tracks, arches & wheels as well as areas where boots would tread. Then some rust and lastly I'll do the remnants of winter camo and then a bit more of a wash. Whilst trying not to keep fiddling with and over-cook it.

Hopefully an update tomorrow.

:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes nothing amiss with it Dan .

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking good - don't forget that the mud and footprints will be on top of the winter cammo, but the rust will be coming through it

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Looking good - don't forget that the mud and footprints will be on top of the winter cammo, but the rust will be coming through it

It is a bit of a chicken and egg thing.
Maybe it only ended up in a muddy place at the end of the winter after the thaw set in. I was thinking about quite how much white wash I'm going to do
It may be hardly any. We'll see.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
It is a bit of a chicken and egg thing.
Maybe it only ended up in a muddy place at the end of the winter after the thaw set in. I was thinking about quite how much white wash I'm going to do
It may be hardly any. We'll see.
Yes, trouble is that I blame my old art teacher (RIP) for the 'picky' thing of 'in order' as he always got us to paint in order - if doing a tree, he'd insist on the trunk/branches then leaves, as he'd say "the tree was there before the leaves, so to get the right form, that's how to paint it"

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Yeah, I had three art teachers at school. All loons.
Mr Huntley sounds just like your teacher.
Mr Jones used to hide in the art cupboard with a bottle of gin and twenty B & H, occasionally popping into the class to flirt with the male students.
Mr Harbard was great, but he crashed his motorbike head-on with a Fire Tender on its way to a job.

And that is my art teacher story by Dan, aged 54 &1/2.

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Mine seems like a combination of the first two, he usually stank of booze, would hand out fags to any of us, had two mental breakdowns - but he was one hell of an artist, just rubbish at being a teacher!

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Hopefully my last post in "construction".

Built some Vallejo light mud up on the running gear and trodden areas and the toned it back a bit with a mixture of darker washes. My diorama plans have changed a little, not least of all because I feel I may mess my work up with the addition of winter camo remnants. I'll just add some rust and touch up any weathering as I see fit. The winter scene can wait for another build.

Anyway, have a couple of pics and I'll post it in the "finished" thread later in the week.

CwUMzcl.jpg

zZ03n8z.jpg

X4NKSbk.jpg

Pretty sure these two fellahs are debating whether or not they'll end up on the finished product.

030mKim.jpg

This is probably a good point to thank everyone for the welcome here and also the fantastic advice, inspiration & encouragement. I'm definitely back into modelling and looking forward to many more projects.

Dan

:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Glad you are here Dan and hope you will stick with it..........very rewarding in the long run. Rick H.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely.

ATB.

Andrew