Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1 Aufs E ( Late Version)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I bought this kit part built a few years ago. I write 'Part built.' because the previous owner had built a bit of the tank hull and glued a bit of P.E. Zimmerit on it, then, for some reason, gave up.

The kit has been languishing in a corner of my den since it's purchase, as I didn't know quite what to do with it!....and I didn't know what to do with the zimmerit. So in the box it all stayed - until now!

I don't normally build more than one kit at a time, so I'll just quietly nibble at this now and then, and concentrate more on my G.B. stuff.....sez he!

I have little interest in the tech. side of modelling (this is too long, that's not in the right place) What's in the box is what get's built - I'm in it just for fun.

Here is the box and bits.

P1190088.JPG

P1190089.JPG

Here's where I'm up to so far. I've carefully removed the hull side P.E. Zimmerit. (Thankfully in one piece, so perhaps I can sell the set on)

Now I've had a bit more practice with the zimmerit application, I've decided to have a go at the whole tank, It might not be to other people's liking, but I'm happy enough with it.

So, yesterday morning, after I assembled the turret, I had a bash at it.

I tried to put myself into the mind set of the bloke troweling on the stuff "Mein Gott! How many more do I have to do?" Here's the result...

I think he must have tripped over the cat half way down this hull side. Don't you just love it?!
P1190084.JPG

P1190083.JPG

P1190086.JPG

....here, I've marked where the exhaust heat shields and rear 'mud guards' go. Rough as a bear's posterior, just what I wanted.......
P1190087.JPG

P1190092.JPG
When the paste had set, I gave the stuff a quick coat of buff acrylic to cover the white filler.
All a bit stark and heavy looking just yet, but it'll tone down once I start to paint the model.

I hope you approve and thanks for looking.

Cheers.
Ron

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I like it Ron. I've got the same kit in my stash that came as part of a job lot, and I'm planning on sacrificing it to my own first attempts at home made Zimm. :smiling5:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I like it Ron. I've got the same kit in my stash that came as part of a job lot, and I'm planning on sacrificing it to my own first attempts at home made Zimm. :smiling5:

Good man yer'self Bob!
I would advise a fair bit of practice on summat other than your model first though!

Then when you feel brave enough, start on that lovely flat, sensible lump of steel on the tank's lower front. Then if you make a ball's up of it, you can easily scrape it off and start again...

Not that I had to, of course!.....:upside:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I bought some A4 sheets of styrene a while ago, one is going to be for practising Zimm on. :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian. it's a while since I built me a tank.

F

Fenlander

Not only does it look great but the satisfaction level must be running very high. Modelling for fun is the only way to go as far as I am concerned.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Spot on Graham, I've got one heck of a buzz on at the minute! Mind you, there has to be a banana skin around the corner sometime soon, I guess.....

Now the zimmerit is complete, I've added some more bits and toned it all down with an overall lick of brushed on acrylic paint. I didn't want to waste my good paints on the paste, so I used children's cheap paints for the first all over coat.

Looking a bit more tank like now.

P1190100.JPG

See the detail on the back end is all blending in now, compared with the previous shot of this area.
P1190101.JPG

Main bits and wheels first coated. Ready for the 'Proper' colours.
P1190102.JPG

Cheers all.

Ron

Attachments

• P1190101.JPG
    P1190101.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 0

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Tom. I must confess to being very happy with my go at it.

I knew once I'd opened the box, I would carry on with the build, so.....

Here are the heat shields fitted. Because I marked earlier just where these went and modelled the zim. to the lines, they fitted snug up to the plastic.
P1190106.JPG

The tank with it's wheels and side thingies fitted.
P1190105.JPG

Camo applied. I used Vallejo Model Air applied with a small flat headed brush and made the pattern up as I went along.
P1190107.JPG

All a bit brash at the minute, but it will tone down when I give it a good all over sloshing with summat neutral.

Cheers, and thanks for looking.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just finished giving the whole model a wash, to calm down and blend in the colours a bit. I used a 12mm wide, flat headed brush to apply the Vallejo paint. Well watered down, and dosed all over, so it could run just where it wanted...:upside:

You can just see the subtle difference from the previous image.

P1190114.JPG

199 separate track links next. 100 one side, and 99 the other!?.......:cold-sweat:

Cheers,
Ron

J

Jens Andrée

Really great job Ron and your zimmerit is very well made!!!
None of this decal malarkey I've been testing...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your positive posts, chaps.

I've added more bits and last night I added the tracks. They were black plastic, so a couple of days ago I brushed the individual links in a base metal coat before I glued them together. I was pleasantly surprised just how straight forward this part of the build turned out to be..... even for my cack hands!

P1190115.JPG

P1190118.JPG

P1190120.JPG

More bits and decals to add, then I can start the weathering in earnest - not to mention the pilot!

Cheers.

Ron

J

Jens Andrée

Your zimmerit looks fantastic!!!
I can't remember the name of the paste stuff you guys are using for zimmerit so can you please let me know again? I'm done with decals and vinyl sheets - although I don't regret testing because you never know until you've tried, but your zimmerit looks a lot more realistic than any of the currently on market solutions!

You should build tanks more often because I really like what I see here! :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. I'm chuffed you approve of my model thus far.

Jens, I used the ordinary white powder wood filler mixed with diluted PVA.

Thanks again, all.
Ron