tamiya 1/350 bismark

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I got this last Xmas and although I don't get much modelling time these days I wanted to start it but as always with a difference I want to depict her during the battle as she's sinking and at the bottom of the sea, all at the same time.
I realise she didn't break up and apart from 35 meters of the stern is still in one piece on the bottom.
She landed practically on top of an undersea volcano which erupted and she slid down the side as the volcano erupted leaving her laying level on the seabed with her stern mostly covered.
My problem is do I play with the historical facts and cut her into 3 sections to depict what I want or is there a way of depicting the whole thing whist keeping her whole.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ken
Can't offer any advice but it certainly sounds like a project I shall enjoy watching.
So front seat for me.
Jim

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice idea Ken, you could show it like in picture 2 that Pete put up. the ship whole but guns falling off and the like.

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks for the graphic peter.
Got my thinking cap on

D

Deleted member 3568

How easy is it to cast resin and would it be possible to cast a hull this size.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well I think I'm just going to go with the wreck dio ( will need a fair bit of scratch building but I'm up for it)

As an interesting angle on size and shape look at this.

33xx1g5.jpg

sg7nsh.jpg

She was a tad bigger than the KGV but almost identical in shape.

Anyway made a start on painting her

2rm03dd.jpg

4fzkmr.jpg

Not going to go overboard with the painting as most of it won't be seen.

I must say I'm going to really enjoy this as I love doing rusty things (for those who don't know me i love doing cars and motorcycles, which I usually do with a fair bit of ware and tear)

As per this example.

2dqmueu.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ken
This will be fun. It's a huge model. I have only done one rusty wreck - an old tug boat. Enjoyed it and I'd like to try a car.
Resin casting something that size would be fraught with problems. Hard to make a mould rigid enough and you would need a huge amount of rubber. You would almost certainly get warping and shrinking with the resin at that size. The cost would also be prohibitive.
Jim

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well got the hull painted, as I said I'm not too worried about the accuracy of the painting as most of it won't be seen when it's on the sea bed and yes I know the stern painting is a bit off but since that will be sheared off in the dio it won't be a problem, also another size comparison against the Titanic (which incidentally seems to be exactly the same length of the KGV although she was much higher makes me wonder were battleships given a low profile to make them harder to be seen.

1433vva.jpg

2ui7pz9.jpg

a9wsab.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ken
I'd say success - looks very convincing. How did you do it?
Jim

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi Jim this is how I did it.
Sprayed the base with carpet glue (comes in a can got mine from pound shop I know they gone now but I'm pretty sure I saw it in b and m)
wqttp4.jpg

Sprinkled talcum powder over it and added the ship
1042sk1.jpg

Then sprayed more glue and talcum
mim74l.jpg

Then sprayed with my ab
wv493m.jpg

As you can see really complicated and would take years to learn.

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
nice work so far ken, one complaint tho please could people stop giving my brother ideas, he's mad enough to come up with thing from spare model parts and other odd bits and peices please don't encourage him even more thank you, but still nice work. :smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5:

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all drilled out a couple of the big turrets bases and added the traversing gear to the inside of one of them (still got to deepen the shaft and add some internal detail)I'm only planing on making the base a little larger than the model, should I still add the missing turrets and other superstructure that came off even though they were found a long way from the wreck.
xnhpnq.jpg

2cy5csn.jpg

Encase anyone thinks I've stopped working on the KGV I've not it's just the part I'm working on now has 4 pompoms and the PE takes ages.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ken
Thanks for the explanation. I am sure it is harder to get such a good result than you make it sound.
Jim

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I had to drill out the lower deck to allow for the details I have to add as the turrets won't be there.

knqbk.jpg

And gave the decking it's first coat of paint

mkkchk.jpg

2ewd5sl.jpg

As you can see the traversing gear needs a bit of work

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ken
You're getting there. A lot more planning ahead needed in a project like this.
Jim

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all started on the base

2drz7nn.jpg

wuq6b5.jpg

wk5nd5.jpg

I've tried to get the seabed undulations as like the photos as I can, still got some fine tweaking to do to it yet.

I've drawn some of the damage on the hull and decking I'm thinking of using a soldering iron to inflict it.

2ezsnti.jpg

k204dx.jpg

1267h4h.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all made a start on the damage, there is a load to add but I think it's an ok start.
kaob2x.jpg

2s9brme.jpg

I'm afraid no more modelling for a week as off on hols.