Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher DD445 Destroyer.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,
My recent build on a commissioned 1/700 USS Clifton Sprague has got me inspired to build a poor flood victim from my stash for a local GB which I'm to judge. Thought I'd support the group so this is...

IMG-20220104-WA0048.jpegwhat the box and contents look like...no sprue shots as they're awfully caked in dried mud in the plastic wrapping.
I've got 6 months to do this as the GB ends in July. Checked out all the parts and they're all there only the decals suffered so will need to find suitable numerals.
My first foray into 1/350 scale and have three more of this class of ships in the stash including in 1/700. I have aftermarket PE for both scales. The two 1/350 scaled Dragon kits come with its own PE minus the railings which I can get generic ones.
So far the Tamiya Fletcher looks an easy build with separate assembly components for easy painting without too much masking if planned properly.

Hope you guys will join me once the glue and cutters get going. Its free seating and refreshments but Corvid SOPs must be adhered to.

Cheers,
Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm quite a few boats on here at the moment. I Like :smiling3:
Sitting right at the front.
What is that smell, are you sure that's only mud?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN IM also following Richard be nice to see one of these ships built as im hopeing soon to get back to work on my tiger so all us floaty thing builders pull togeather an support each other lol
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys, I'll make sure refreshments are plenty...there are some local delicacies.

Hi Richard
I'm in for a larger scale ship. That flood has certainly messed up the kit. Hopefully it's just washable dirt and there is no damage.
jim
[/QUOT
Jim, mud was easily removed with water and a tooth rush. The larger the kit seems easier to build but the painting of weathered details will be more.

Hmm quite a few boats on here at the moment. I Like :smiling3:
Sitting right at the front.
What is that smell, are you sure that's only mud?
Ian, I guess its the prawn fritters with belacan sauce. White men have been known to run away from belacan which has the same effect as durian. :smiling6:

My car plate number begins with "DD": how could I miss this build?:smiling4:
(when I parked it for the first time at my workplace, my boss asked me how I dared to berth a destroyer beside his car... :smiling: ).
Didn't he drive a battleship, Andy?

AN IM also following Richard be nice to see one of these ships built as im hopeing soon to get back to work on my tiger so all us floaty thing builders pull togeather an support each other lol
chris
Chris, we ship mateys need to be sailing in formation and in strength.

Just pulled up a seat Richard, Milk no sugar in my tea thanks, but got to keep off the biscuits.
Ian, over here we say "kurang manis" or "teh kosong" but it still ends up sweet because of the condensed milk in our teas. Every local delicacy is a health hazard but safe if taken moderately.

Should be good Richard, I’ll keep an eye on it…
Both eyes Tim once the PE gets worked in. ;)

Nice of you guys to be present. I hope to make this go smoothly, already am switching the pedestal for the Dragon version which looks nicer and am keeping the presentation similar.

Cheers,
Richard

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Not done a Ship since I was about 10,(HMS Warspite, Airfix kit in about '74/5),
So I'm interested in this for sure, especially when factoring in your great talent Richard :smiling3:
BRING IT ON!!
ANDY

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Count me sir and cake yehaa
Hi Bob, cake it is then and welcome aboard.

I'm in with the rabble
Mick, good to have you. You'd regret mixing with the rabble once John R sits in. :tears-of-joy:

I will follow, I like a ship build (except my Zulu :confused:). It will get finished, promise.
John.
I hope this will cheer you up John and get you started on Zulu again.

Not done a Ship since I was about 10,(HMS Warspite, Airfix kit in about '74/5),
So I'm interested in this for sure, especially when factoring in your great talent Richard :smiling3:
BRING IT ON!!
ANDY
Ah, the Warspite...one day I will tackle the Airfix one I have, Andy. Got all the bibs and bobs for it. You will find that I am quite uncomfortable with these floaty things.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
To start off and get the ball rolling I casted the pedestals using the mold that you soften in boiling water. This was a first for me and the results turned out better than I expected.

F2.jpgF3.jpgF4.jpg

Next will be drilling the holes under the hull and shoring up with supports.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in Richard, looking forward to this.
Can I have a portion of butter prawns please with rice ?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I'm in Richard, looking forward to this.
Can I have a portion of butter prawns please with rice ?
Sure John, I'll check with chef Ah Kow to see if he has any fresh tiger prawns.
Meanwhile I'll get the exhaust fan working...Ian seems rather bothered with the belacan. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
After getting these two things done, a plastic tube fastened inside the hull for extra strength to hold the pedestal end and the drilling of the hull...

F5.jpgF16.jpg

...piecing the rest of the hull together was easy pizzy.
I shaved off some locating strips on the deck and you'll see why it had to be done later in the build.

F6.jpg

Only some minor filling needed on the tip of the bow deck using a tiny squeeze of Vallejo Plastic Putty...hmmm the anchor chain needs replacing.

F22.jpg

...and there you have it. I will attempt to try engraving some stress marks on the hull plating as Tamiya has some nice plating molded on.

F7.jpg

Propeller shafts and rudder attached...the latter is movable. I left off the props to be painted separately and attached later.

F8.jpg

I don't remember shaving this off accidentally so I just glued two rods.

F17.jpg

I have PE for the prop guards and only found that out after gluing the kit part on which looks okay to me but will decide later on if it needs replacing. The deck is full of those things jutting out of the deck sides which I think needs drilling out.

F18.jpg

So far it's been quite pleasant and the breakdown of the assembly from Tamiya is well planned for easy painting as you will see. That's it for tonight. It's been hot these past few days so I'll turn on the aircon for you guys.

Cheers,
Richard