Tamiya 1/350 KGV plus extras

First Name
Steve
Was talking to my father who was on the KG V in 1945. Was asking him about the decks.
He said they were wood and treated every week with something like French Chalk. The order “ Hands to Skylark “ would go over the speaker system and all the newbies were put on canvas and dragged around the decks to rub the chalk in, He said , no prisoners taken, a lot of injuries occurred but they still done it. No H&S in them days.
His still searching for photos.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Was talking to my father who was on the KG V in 1945. Was asking him about the decks.
He said they were wood and treated every week with something like French Chalk. The order “ Hands to Skylark “ would go over the speaker system and all the newbies were put on canvas and dragged around the decks to rub the chalk in, He said , no prisoners taken, a lot of injuries occurred but they still done it. No H&S in them days.
His still searching for photos.
Splinters in painful places no doubt lol, very interesting roadie

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Do you have trouble sleeping, find it hard to kip, read on folk's lol

Now Graf Spee is finished, full attention on KGV!

Will complete the rear superstructure Inc painting, PP and railings, finally getting to grips with ships being lots of models in one kit!

Removed, the kit doors, added PE ones, also removed the reels mounted on the sides, will replace with PE one's, finally drilled out portholes. Leaving the small hatches as they are.
20220408_131200.jpg20220408_131146.jpg

The PE set includes ladders from the superstructure deck onto the upper secondary batterie deck. Had to drill and file a rectangular hole to allow fitment of the ladders.
20220408_131211.jpg
They are in front of the round hole in the foreground. The general fit is poor so out with the Mr surfacer filler

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One of the things i like with boats is the kit in kit build style. And the paint roulette. How much can you build before you have to paint...
All good fun.
This is coming on great Bob. If only there where an easier way to drill square holes.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
One of the things i like with boats is the kit in kit build style. And the paint roulette. How much can you build before you have to paint...
All good fun.
This is coming on great Bob. If only there where an easier way to drill square holes.
Hi Ian, I am finally getting my head around the kit in kit style, the railings, PE should be a lot easier to fit and paint this way, will have to store carefully when done!

Took my time with the holes as unlike the real ship there's not much plastic either side to play with! Got there in the end.

Bought some alclad primer so will post a thread asking for 'how to use' shortly!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bought some alclad primer so will post a thread asking for 'how to use' shortly
Normal for me is just shake the bejesus out of it and pour it in the airbrush. Mask on window open extractor fan on. Smells a bit. lol.
If it's a bit thick thin 'to taste' with cellulose thinners.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Normal for me is just shake the bejesus out of it and pour it in the airbrush. Mask on window open extractor fan on. Smells a bit. lol.
If it's a bit thick thin 'to taste' with cellulose thinners.
Cheers Ian!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI BOYO well it looks like you are doin a grand job on kgv an im finding it very instresting to study your pics so im following along an whats this alclad primer an under coat paint ? an how big is she lenght an beam ? then will have a good kip lol
chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Ian!!
It also thins well with MLT……it’s not dead smooth though, at least in my experience, it has a bit of “tooth” to it, which I find perfect for brush painting. It’s my “go to” for the little blokes….unless I’m using up something else..

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
HI BOYO well it looks like you are doin a grand job on kgv an im finding it very instresting to study your pics so im following along an whats this alclad primer an under coat paint ? an how big is she lenght an beam ? then will have a good kip lol
chrisb
Hi Chris

Slow ahead! Happy with my hole opening, fit is poor so next filling!

Found Mr surfacer used as primer tended to cover up the details on the PE, Ian suggested Alclad as a primer, so not expensive so will try.

Its about 65 cm long and beam of about 8.cm

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
It also thins well with MLT……it’s not dead smooth though, at least in my experience, it has a bit of “tooth” to it, which I find perfect for brush painting. It’s my “go to” for the little blokes….unless I’m using up something else..
Thanks Tim, will let you know in the near future, if it goes pear shaped I'll blame Ian lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Never noticed the surface being rough, if you are spraying from to far away or to low air pressure it could be drying on contact.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Never noticed the surface being rough, if you are spraying from to far away or to low air pressure it could be drying on contact.
What psi Ian, I spray Mr surfacer at 10 psi and close up

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I spray it at 15psi (side feed brush, needs a bit more oomph than a top feed job) and make sure it lands wet, so it’s not drying on contact Ian…it is much more “matt” than Vallejo, Tamiya grey, or Mr Color 1500 primer when it’s on, for example …...

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I spray it at 15psi (side feed brush, needs a bit more oomph than a top feed job) and make sure it lands wet, so it’s not drying on contact Ian…it is much more “matt” than Vallejo, Tamiya grey, or Mr Color 1500 primer when it’s on, for example …...
Will see for myself?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob whats goin on with the thumb nail pics as my pc wont bring up the pics very well so please put your pics on full size for me your ow mate lol
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob whats goin on with the thumb nail pics as my pc wont bring up the pics very well so please put your pics on full size for me your ow mate lol
chrisb
Not a clue Chris, I posted pics as normal. Noticed other members pics are the same, if you tap on the pic is ok then