Tamiya 1/350 premium yamato

shovelhead 1977

SMF Supporter
First Name
raymond
well its started ! hull and bracing bits, lots of poly caps , deadwood and rudder parts, screws and supports, shaft housings in place,photo etched parts to be fitted to the bottom of the hull , fitted in place . very little to clean up and parts fit is very good, wondering to go for a wooden deck or not , for or against

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 18

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice project Raymond! The Yamato is not an easy ship, will follow your build :thumb2: .
Steven

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great kit, Raymond.

I don't like these so called 'Wooden decks' The planking is usually way off scale and the caulk lines the same.

The average real life deck planks are around 6" wide. Take a look at these stick-on decks.

Caulking, the filled gap between the planks is no more than half an inch wide. Again take a look at the decks. ( I've done miles of the stuff- When I could bend down!)

When stuck on the plastic decks, all the deck detail sinks in by the thickness of the applied 'wooden' deck.

Although thin, the outer edge of the stick-ons is clearly seen.

Most, not all of these decks clearly show just a huge grain which can run anywhere and certainly not in a straight line or to scale.

Otherwise the stick-on's are fine!

The above is simply my opinion based on what I've seen of these decks. I have no doubt other members will disagree. That's life......

Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ll follow as well if I may. Always wondered why the navy that proved the overwhelming effectiveness of the mass carrier tactic wasted resource building this white elephant.....
I agree with Ron about wooden decks by the way, planks would be about half a mil wide at this scale......about the size they make the caulk lines.....

shovelhead 1977

SMF Supporter
First Name
raymond
some more parts ready, some holes drilled , picture for screws for holding the decks down are actual size on the instructions which helps, don't know if camera picked it up or not but some holes to be drilled are marked with a ' y' or an 'm' for yamata or musashi ! all straight forward at the moment

Attachments

• centre deck.jpg
    centre deck.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 11
  • some holes drilled.jpg
    some holes drilled.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 12
  • some holes drilled (2).jpg
    some holes drilled (2).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 11
  • deck supports.jpg
    deck supports.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 10
  • propeller shaft supports.jpg
    propeller shaft supports.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 9
  • screw parts.jpg
    screw parts.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 9
D

Deleted member 4539

Great kit, Raymond.

I don't like these so called 'Wooden decks' The planking is usually way off scale and the caulk lines the same.

The average real life deck planks are around 6" wide. Take a look at these stick-on decks.

Caulking, the filled gap between the planks is no more than half an inch wide. Again take a look at the decks. ( I've done miles of the stuff- When I could bend down!)

When stuck on the plastic decks, all the deck detail sinks in by the thickness of the applied 'wooden' deck.

Although thin, the outer edge of the stick-ons is clearly seen.

Most, not all of these decks clearly show just a huge grain which can run anywhere and certainly not in a straight line or to scale.

Otherwise the stick-on's are fine!

The above is simply my opinion based on what I've seen of these decks. I have no doubt other members will disagree. That's life......

Ron
I love em Ron :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 4539

Have fun with this Raymond.:smiling3:
I personally love the wooden decks and have used a fair few over this last year.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
some more parts ready, some holes drilled , picture for screws for holding the decks down are actual size on the instructions which helps, don't know if camera picked it up or not but some holes to be drilled are marked with a ' y' or an 'm' for yamata or musashi ! all straight forward at the moment

HI Raymond now could I ask if you would please fit on the fullsize pics as I don't get to see all the detail from these small pics even when I click on them as I would like to follow your build of the big y or m
chris

shovelhead 1977

SMF Supporter
First Name
raymond
HI Raymond now could I ask if you would please fit on the fullsize pics as I don't get to see all the detail from these small pics even when I click on them as I would like to follow your build of the big y or m
chris
hi not quite sure what you mean I cant get any closer with phone camera it goes all blurry

First Name
Wouter
Good to see a Yamato being built. I m building this kit on and off for years now. Although expensive this kit isn t perfect. Good start.

Cheers

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
hi not quite sure what you mean I cant get any closer with phone camera it goes all blurry
Nice work so far Raymond.
What Christopher ( boatman ) means, is when you up load your pictures there's 2 tags Thumbnail or full image. If you press full image the picture show a lot larger than the ones you have already posted.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nice work so far Raymond.
What Christopher ( boatman ) means, is when you up load your pictures there's 2 tags Thumbnail or full image. If you press full image the picture show a lot larger than the ones you have already posted.

THANK YOU Ian spot on yes Raymond please hit full image an then I can see what a good job you are doin on this ship as its one the battle ships id love to build but to late in my life by the time I finish my tiger but a friend bought one a few yrs back an he bought it up our pond an boy was that a model an a half it was 1/96 scale an about ten feet long an all the guns fired on it wow what a model an it took three people to lift it what a whopper an it looked fantastic on the water when sailin I might have some pics of it if you want to see it let me know an i'll try an find them up
chris

shovelhead 1977

SMF Supporter
First Name
raymond
Good to see a Yamato being built. I m building this kit on and off for years now. Although expensive this kit isn t perfect. Good start.

Cheers
THANK YOU Ian spot on yes Raymond please hit full image an then I can see what a good job you are doin on this ship as its one the battle ships id love to build but to late in my life by the time I finish my tiger but a friend bought one a few yrs back an he bought it up our pond an boy was that a model an a half it was 1/96 scale an about ten feet long an all the guns fired on it wow what a model an it took three people to lift it what a whopper an it looked fantastic on the water when sailin I might have some pics of it if you want to see it let me know an i'll try an find them up
chris
that would be brilliant thanks, where do I find the full image thing

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Raymond thats brilliant now i'll be able to follow your build properly as I love battle ships but to build them in the size I build well with the big Y OR M theyd be huge like my friends mick big Y LOOKIN FORWARD TO YOUR BUILD
CHRIS sorry about the caps sometime they stick on