Tamiya 1/48 A 10A Thunderbolt

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks all.

I'm trying to get the main assembly done before I go back to work on Wednesday, and maybe even have it primed. I should manage that if I don't start on the plethora of rockets and missiles! Having learned a lot from my Sea King build I won't be adding the fiddly bits until after paint as I'll only knock them off. I've had to glue some of the aerials back on that thing 4 or 5 times!

Having been impressed by the Mr Hobby primers I've ordered the 3 main colours for this in Mr Color. I was hoping they'd turn up today but totally forgot about the Bank Holiday. No rush though as it'll be a while before I get to that stage.

D

Deleted member 7181

Got a bit more done in-between the snooker.

Made a piece to close off the gap in the undercarriage housing mentioned above. Was pretty hard to photograph but hopefully you get the idea. I really need to get myself some styrene card as working with random bits of plastic and ancient super glue didn't make things any easier.

pkP9D2r.jpg

Gy7Rqd7.jpg

Started sticking bits on and doing the usual with the gaps. It seems like any part that was moulded with a curve in it has flattened out a bit, causing inevitable fitting issues.

Oa3xIuu.jpg

Tailpiece on. This step is so big that I'm not even going to bother trying to rectify it. It can be a feature!

OYxEURA.jpg

And wings on. Thankfully these fitted pretty much perfectly.

i3cxziI.jpg

u2U1KAB.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I really need to get myself some styrene card as working with random bits of plastic and ancient super glue didn't make things any easier.
To be honest, thin card (as in paper) would probably be easier to work with than plastic from packaging. That kind of plastic is usually very difficult to glue, whereas paper is easy enough to stick down. OTOH, if it works … :smiling3:

The model seems to require a lot of filler for a Tamiya kit. I hadn’t expected that, really.

D

Deleted member 7181

Card, hadn't thought about that. Would have been a whole lot easier.

I'm hoping to try a more modern Tamiya kit in the near future as I know they have a reputation for being a great fit. The only date stamp I could find on this was 1991. If that was the actual date of manufacture then I can forgive it for becoming a bit saggy over the years (like I have :smiling5:)

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
You're beating it into submission I've had a nose around on Scalemates and was amazed that they didn't have any reviews on this release or the original one, there are many different kinds of filler that require less clean up. For small gaps I use Tippex/Correcting fluid mixed with Liquid cement, for larger ones I use milliput extra fine.
regards Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim, sledgehammer to crack a nut, that's me all over! A quick blast with some polyester primer from work would fill any of those gaps, but it would bury every bit of detail on it too!

I certainly need to look for something a little more refined. I've tried the Vallejo putty that many swear by, but maybe it was just too cold out in the shed and it never dried for me. I have some milliput coming from Scale Model Shop but Tippex & cement sounds interesting.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy,
Small steps first buy yourself a bottle of Tamiya extra thin glue when you have used approximately 2/3 of the glue buy a bottle of tippex/correcting fluid combine the 2 together and you will end up with a shrink free liquid filler that works easily in hairline gaps. Milliput has many additional uses as well as a filler. my preference is the extra fine version which is easier to sand but there are plenty of other uses.
regards Jim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking good Andy:thumb2:, although this one does require a lot of filler for a Tammie kit.

Speaking of which, I’ve grown fond of Mr. White putty the past years for covering some bigger gaps.
Smells like hell but it sands to a far smother finish than Vallejo putty, although that seems better suited for smaller gaps.:smiling:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy,
On recollection after seeing you correcting the misfits, I remember some especially the tail section. At the time it was still better than any Airfix kit that I had built. I checked my old Tamiya catalogues and found that this kit came out in 1980. The tooling didn't measure up for the 1991 batch I guess.

Seriously what you're doing is not a bad way to improve skills on a new hobby...just like in the Karate Kid...wax on ...wax off... In time you'll see that filling and sanding becomes integral to the finish just like your spray painting job I presume.
If anything I'm sure this A-10 will finish just as good as your Sea King. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for that Richard.

I've been scouring the internet and YouTube and pretty much every one of these I've seen completed has a visible joint somewhere, so I feel a little better knowing it isn't just me having fit issues. I'm guessing with more experience / patience I could have massaged the joints to fit a little better, but as long as it looks decent in the end I'll be happy.

And as you say, preparation is key in my line of work too. Even the best painter in the world can't make a job look great if the filler work is wobbly or the panel gaps aren't straight.

D

Deleted member 7181

Had a go at the pilot this morning. Didn't have any of the correct colours but managed to mix & match to get reasonably close to the box art.

9RijgWg.jpg

By the way, please let me know if I'm going overboard with the pictures and updates. It's in my nature to get over excited and over share, but I don't want to be the annoying new kid :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Sorry - I'm a bit late to the party. Just had a good catch up and I must say I reckon you're doing a fine job. Plane kits tend to have long joins. The fuselage and the wing roots which can be difficult. I think the way you are approaching this does you credit and is definitely a good way to build up skills and experience.
It is looking fine and I'm sure will make a great model.
By the way, please let me know if I'm going overboard with the pictures and updates. It's in my nature to get over excited and over share, but I don't want to be the annoying new kid :smiling3:
Sharing, enjoying seeing what others are up to and learning from each other is why we are on the forum so "Keep mogglin and carry on"
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim, I was just conscious that I was posting a lot of piccies.

With that in mind, here's some more! :smiling5:

Seat, pilot & canopy fitted.

MWvesm1.jpg

And test run of my "hanging it up to dry" system

W3LEamJ.jpg

ufZ9IkE.jpg

Was hoping to get it in primer today but I have an important errand to run right now so might try later. But I just know my delivery from Scale Model Shop is going to turn up while I'm out!

D

Deleted member 7181

We like piccies...
Pete
I aim to please, lol

Managed to get some primer on. Looks like most of my "adjustments" went well, only a few areas that need a bit of fettling before paint.

Nose wheel covers are just wedged in temporarily for paint. Main ones are both dark green in the scheme I'm going for so can be painted separately.
WGpMrtl.jpg

RjwJvQA.jpg

KKwGg4w.jpg

That Mr Surfacer really dries fast, probably a bit too fast when trying to work around a complicated shape like this. Hopefully the levelling thinner that arrived today will slow it down a bit. Still went on really smooth though. I'm a fan.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Andy,

I'm with rest of the crew here. Love the pics and it's good to see just how well you whipped this beast into shape. She looks great in the primer and a real smooth finish too. Top stuff Sir!!!

Prost
Allen