Tamiya 1/48 A 10A Thunderbolt

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul & Si.

I feel like it needs dirtying up a little so it doesn't look so factory fresh, but I'll have a play with that when I next get some time.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks fantastic andy , top paint job. Dont be tempted to mucky it up too much , itll ruin it , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tony, I'm not a fan of heavily weathered aircraft, even though I admire the skill of those that can do it. I'll see how it looks with the decals on and a few details picked out, then go from there.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thats exactly my take on it , ive only really heavily weathered one aircraft and that was to match period pictures ( mig 3 in the defence of moscow in the winter , they got VERY mucky! )

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That camo is looking very sharp :smiling3: You can certainly tell you’ve done this sort of thing before.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Like a duck to water. Great neat construction - including PE. The camo looks excellent. All heading towards a really nice model.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys, and yes Pete. With the really tight curves in some areas I found even my blue 3m fine line tape was struggling but the narrower Tamiya one worked fine.

I think the 3m would work just as well if I could accurately cut it to the same width.

I pretty much ran out of regular 10mm Tamiya on this and ended up filling a few of the bigger gaps with some delicate surface Frog Tape I had lying around, which to be honest looks and feels exactly like Tamiya.

D

Deleted member 7181

Had a good look round tonight to see if it needed any touch ups before gloss, and noticed I'd forgotten to paint most of the canopy! It was still in dark grey primer. Thankfully the Mr Color brushed in really well, should be seamless once it's finished.

Last edited by a moderator:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well Andy, if you do spray painting as a job and get this mucked up I'd be surprised. I was just looking forward to the finale...beeeutiful. The masking already told me it was going to be good. No doubt at certain points I thought you had Egyptian ancestry. Nothing like the end result of a mummy but a pupae turning into a butterfly.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the kind words Richard, although I can't think of many that would compare an A-10 to a butterfly lol.

Mind you, its uncompromising looks certainly have their own kind of beauty.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant job, and I've learnt something there. I would have taken at least three days to paint three colours. Maybe even longer.

• Love
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Colin.

It was my intention to paint over my 4 days off, giving each colour overnight to dry, but at the last minute a sign went up over Gotham City and I had to rush to help out an old colleague who'd bitten off more than he could chew with an Aston Martin Vantage. That took me a couple of days to fix and paint so I ended up with just the day to get all three colours done on the A-10. It bit into my bench time but bolstered my modelling budget quite a lot, so can't complain :smiling5:

Having looked at it for a few days I'm half tempted to add a couple more small areas of the dark grey, then maybe add some highlights / light sun bleaching along the top surfaces, but I'll probably end up going too far and messing it up!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy,
Well done , the paint job looks top class, as expected from your job:smiling3:. I'd leave it alone, you know what happens when you think " just one more bit "
I was really impressed with the masking, is that 3m something you use at work? strange looking outer edge to it, but what results.
I also noted the use of a silver as a blocker for white, so thank you .

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John. I keep going backwards and forwards to be honest, I feel like it needs something, but don't want to go overboard. Might stick to what I said earlier and just add the decals for now and see what happens. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

The tape is Tamiya tape for curves used to do the outlines, closely following the printout you can see in some pictures. I then filled in the middle with regular Tamiya tape, cutting it halfway across the curved stuff, being careful not to go right through and mark the models surface. Some of the bigger areas had plastic masking film for cars taped in place, or delicate surface Frog Tape.